Dodged a bullet today
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dodged a bullet today

Bike
    Honda

Dodged a bullet today

Went riding with a bunch of friends today to Squamish. Left my gf's house, went joined up a guy in Vancouver and then went to north van to join a couple more guys/gals.

Then left for squamish, the whole ride i felt a little uncomfortable while leaning but nothing out of the ordinary. Though it was just the road... .average speed was ~ +10.

Got to squamish and went in A&W for lunch after that came out and i noticed a shit load of pebbles stuck on my rear tire. Went in to take a closer look, for a second i was kinda impressed by how sticky my tire was but then noticed a cm long metal nail sticking out.... We just moved it and could hear air coming out..... HOLY FUCK.... tired pulling it and it just kept on coming... the damn thing was 3 inches long. The tire was going flat and that caused it to heat up and become extra sticky and pick up debris.

Now i was thinking thank god for not crashing but how will i get home. A friend offered to call BCAA since i dont have membership but then one of the guys came out and said he has a tire puncture kit... He took it out of his bike and plugged the tire right there in like 5 minutes. He also was carrying a portable pump so used that to pump in 30psi, enough to get to once of the gas stations there and fill it up to specs.

Cant be more thankful. First for not crashing on the highway, 2nd for noticing it when i came out as we were just gonna hop on the bikes and head to whistler. 3rd for having an awesome guy have the kit to plug the tire and 4th for not having a wonderful day get ruined.

Had an awesome ride and made tons of new friends hung out and ride pretty much till sun set... anyhow just wanted to shout out to everyone to be on a look out for such things and be prepared.... maybe everyone should carry one of these kits, i certainly am gonna go buy one.

I was fully suited up in my one piece leathers. Which led many to ask if i was hot... which surprisingly i was not. It was very comfortable as it was fully perforated and after such a scare im glad i always suit up when riding my bike. You just never know when something might happen.
    Last edited by BROSKI; 07-09-2012 at 03:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Glad you stayed rubber side down!

Yeah, I just used my last tyre plug kit... really need to buy another one. They're THE best. So quick, so useful.
    i'm rocking to my own beat

Bike
    DR650
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    ^^ can't see your pic?

Bike
    Honda
    Yup your pictures not working.

Anyhow considering this is my first experience with this type of puncture, should i get a new tire? This one got plenty of life left btw.

Are these fixes reasonably safe?

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by BROSKI View Post
    Yup your pictures not working.

Anyhow considering this is my first experience with this type of puncture, should i get a new tire? This one got plenty of life left btw.

Are these fixes reasonably safe?
    A repair should last the length of the tyre - just check the air pressure regularly, and if you're finding it's getting lower quickly, then change it.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    A good patch/plug will fix the tire.

but then in the back of your mind you always wonder how much it will hold.

I get new tires every puncture I get. For peace of mind.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Your good karma was on your side. I flatted once and didn't have a patch kit, BCAA, one flat bed truck later, new tire. I carry a flat kit with co2 cartridges. BCAA Platinum for those "just in case" scenarios. Although most plugs will last, I'm not comfy on a hearvier bike, loaded with side bags and travel gear so I replace the tire. Picked up a nail on the Duffy last year on one of those one lane bridge conversions. Noticed it when I got home, my good luck. There's always some sort of shite on the roads so it's good to be extra observant. Yesterday there was a piece of metal in the centre of the road just before the first RR tracks on the way to Pemberton. In the curve.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    2003 fz-1
    I plug my rear tire if it's got lot's of tread replace if it's 2/3 worn ,but If I get a flat on the front I plug to get home and then replace.

Being equipped takes the stress out of this experience and as you said you get to carry on and enjoy the day, put your money towards gas and good food instead of a deck truck.

Karma is a bitch, the last guy I helped was the same guy that teased me about carrying my flat kit and then he shows up on a ride with 17 psi in his front tire.

Offering to help is a nice aspect of the motorcycle experience.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Your good karma was on your side. I flatted once and didn't have a patch kit, BCAA, one flat bed truck later, new tire. I carry a flat kit with co2 cartridges. BCAA Platinum for those "just in case" scenarios. Although most plugs will last, I'm not comfy on a hearvier bike, loaded with side bags and travel gear so I replace the tire. Picked up a nail on the Duffy last year on one of those one lane bridge conversions. Noticed it when I got home, my good luck. There's always some sort of shite on the roads so it's good to be extra observant. Yesterday there was a piece of metal in the centre of the road just before the first RR tracks on the way to Pemberton. In the curve.
    There was Blackbird (no bags, tho) riding in the same direction as I was from Function Junction back toward Squamish yeserday early afternoon ... was that you?

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    I have had rear plugs last for 100's of KM's with dirt, gravel and Mud thrown in for good measure..... just keep an eye on pressure and the plug itself...

some riders just don't tr4ust them though. to each his own...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    Ninja 250r
    Glad nothing happened. I was once doing the PM track day and I think there was a nail stuck in my rear tire while doing it.
    rebecca black > bcaa

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I've had those "temp" plugs fly right out. Get and internal mushroom patch installed if the tire is 50% or better with tread. Otherwise, just bone up for some fresh rubber. Trust me, you don't want to test those leathers out, or send your g/f flying (bet she wasn't in leathers).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...-03/image2.jpg

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    I have no issue with gummy worm plugs. No experience with wedge type plugs(the ones that kinda look like tapered cone ear plugs).

HOWEVER, the last time I got a flat my rear started going off at around 175kmh, and by the time I hit the shoulder it took eveything to to keep her up. The rear tire was completely flat by the time I stopped. I was able to plug her and be on my way.

As soon as I got home, I replaced the tire because of the heat cycle the tire went through.

:D Array
    Bike
    Something
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    I have had rear plugs last for 100's of KM's with dirt, gravel and Mud thrown in for good measure..... just keep an eye on pressure and the plug itself...

some riders just don't tr4ust them though. to each his own...
    This isn't a conversation about Butt-Plugs, dude

On longer trips, I carry a "Tire Plugger" like this http://www.gemplers.com/product/1509...e-Plug-Gun-Kit and I have a little tire pump that hooks up to the battery.

I also have the co2 and plastic snap-off keys under the seats of each of my bikes. At around $20/kit, the added insurance is worth it.