Worst. Roadtrip. Ever.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst. Roadtrip. Ever.

Fonz Be With You Array njoytheride's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 Yamaha R6 / 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Worst. Roadtrip. Ever.

Now, i know some of you will say "pshaw that's nothing! this one time in band camp ..." blah blah, this is my story.

3 years ago, in my infinite wisdom i did a trip to edmonton on my R6 - worst mistake of my life, my back hurt for over a month after... last week, i decided to do the same,sort of.

my folks rented a cabin with my uncle's family for 4 days and i decided to join overnight since i had to go back to work on monday (today).

the ride to Lac Le Jeune was spectacular on saturday morning, it was sunny, the roads were clear with the exception of Surrey - surprise surprise. I got there within 3ish hours and a slight kink in my neck.
    Last night i started heading back and it was still very nice, the weather report stated sunny during the time i was going so i (again..infinite wisdom thing) left my rain gear including extra clothing with my folks to bring back whenever they get back into town. I refueled in Merritt, had a nice sandwich and an energy drink, slowly got on my bike and rode.
    As soon as i rode across the first mountain cross the rain started so i stopped and closed all my 'pockets', buttoned up and put my phone in a ziplock bag. Now i've ridden in rain before but nothing prepared me for needle sharp pain, freezing cold weather and visibility just enough to see the backsplash of water from the vehicles infront of me. Somewhere along the line i managed to also lose my right contact lens which at first i thought i couldn't see due to constant water on my visor, but i figured out it was my contact when i was at a complete stop between Hope and Chilliwack in the pouring rain because some clown on a semi decided to hug a tree. Now i honestly hope nobody got seriously hurt but at the time, with 2 inches of water in my boots, shivering in my summer gear and barely being able to see properly, i honestly couldn't care less. When i finally made it out to exit unto 232nd st towards Hwy10, the skies cleared up but it was too late ... my neck was killing me, my finger tips were numb, i could feel water swishing between my toes and my wallet, which i forgot to ziplock, was soaking wet and is currently on my window sill drying out in the sun.
    Now for the positives, i now know to prepare a lot better and not trust the weather reports, i also know that i can take pretty much anything this stupid weather can throw at me and most importantly rain= no bugs, so, less bike washing :P

sorry for the ramble, and i'm sure someone's gonna say something along the lines of "you're stupid" ... but, thought i'd share my experience.
    "Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Not stupid, but I've ridden in worse lol.

You'll be fine man - that's absolutely nothing compared to about 6 roadtrips of mine lol.
    i'm rocking to my own beat

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hols View Post
    Not stupid, but I've ridden in worse lol.

You'll be fine man - that's absolutely nothing compared to about 6 roadtrips of mine lol.
    i'm listening ...

Bike
    N/A
    Haha...everybody's done it, hope you learned a valuable lesson.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyjacK View Post
    Haha...everybody's done it, hope you learned a valuable lesson.
    i sure have! thanks

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    This is BC. In the morning I've seen fairly clear skies and started gearing up to ride to work. By the time I got out of my underground it was snowing.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Those are things that make the great road trips even more spectacular.

I got snowed on once at Saskatchewan River Crossing,AB and had to buy some oven mits to put over my gloves to keep my hands warm.

Looked like a dickhead, but it worked.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    2008 ZX14
    It actually sounds like a great experience! Those rides are actually the most memorable ones that you will always recount.

I did a roadtrip across the prairies a couple years ago, and I was in thunderstorms for almost 8 solid hours. Hail REALLY hurts btw!! And it was quite scary when I was outside Medicine Hat and saw lightning strike the ditch only a mile or two ahead of me.

I would never trade that experience however because in spite of it all, it was quite a blast!

Good on ya for sticking it out! It WILL happen again.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Those are things that make the great road trips even more spectacular.

I got snowed on once at Saskatchewan River Crossing,AB and had to buy some oven mits to put over my gloves to keep my hands warm.

Looked like a dickhead, but it worked.
    Totally agree!! Makes for wicked fun stories ... as for snow, no matter what you look like when you ride as long as you keep your digits.
    I remember i was during my class rides, 2nd time on a bike in March of 2009 and it starts snowing ... that was a blast.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by IcE 9 View Post
    It actually sounds like a great experience! Those rides are actually the most memorable ones that you will always recount.

I did a roadtrip across the prairies a couple years ago, and I was in thunderstorms for almost 8 solid hours. Hail REALLY hurts btw!! And it was quite scary when I was outside Medicine Hat and saw lightning strike the ditch only a mile or two ahead of me.

I would never trade that experience however because in spite of it all, it was quite a blast!

Good on ya for sticking it out! It WILL happen again.
    I hope it will, i can bare the cold and take a hot shower, and the pain goes away but the memories are just too awesome. Lets hope it doesn't happen too often, and next time i'll have a cruiser or something that wont kill my back after 3 hours of riding.

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    i can't find the massive essay i wrote on it - i'll tell you it on skype tomorrow.

it's a very long story.
    i'm rocking to my own beat

Registered User Array marksport's Avatar
    Bike
    sport bike
    Worst road trip ever....crashed and died. The End.

Not mine tho.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by marksport View Post
    Worst road trip ever....crashed and died. The End.

Not mine tho.
    Yeah true that. Friend of mine had a buddy die in his arms after he missed a turn and went off into a farmers field, rupturing his aeorta and bleeding to death on the spot with everyone frantically trying to save him.

I've never had someone die on a ride with me present. Not sure how that would change me.
    Last edited by bandito; 07-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    Ninja 250r
    How the hell do you nerds manage to ride through thunderstorms and hail? I'd pull over.. I think.

Actually, last year, I got rained out from Hope all the way to Langley. I had all gear but pants. Heck, the only waterproof I had was the boots so I was pretty wet all over. I had to pull over and sit under one of the bridges because my visor kept fogging up, and so did my glasses. Oh, coz I was too pussy to ride through rain....
    rebecca black > bcaa

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    Sometimes you just get in that focused mindset and just do it. I have had people almost drive me off the road in poor conditions and I couldn't of cared less. Just use more of the shoulder and carry on.