BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Ticket help

5K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  ExExGuy 
#1 ·
Last year I was riding down Blue Mountain and turning right onto Brunette. For the people who know this intersection. A lot of people don't stop to a stop, but come to a crawl.

There was 2 motorcycle officers onsite. 1 at median in the middle of the road and 1 in the parking lot in the gas station.

I was in the left lane next to a SUV blocking 1 officers view of me. The other was standing more on the right of me from the median. I came to a complete stop and put my left foot down. There was no way of both of them seeing my foot down. but proceeded to give me a ticket anyways. they also gave me a ticket for no N. I keep the big flashy N bolted on my backpack. Must of ripped off coming down blue mountain because I always checked my backpack for it. The officer was nice enough to knock off the "fail to obey stop sign" offense.

I am wondering what I can do in court to get out of the not displaying N sign one. This year I believe they came out with smaller N's which are much easier to mount which I currenty have on and have no issues of losing it or it ripping off since its plastic and not that magnetic garbage.

Last year they only had the magnetic ones, I never heard or saw the smaller plastic ones. I told the officer that it flew off and showed him the 2 1/4 bolts which i used to bolt the N to. still gave me the ticket.

I heard to get out of court all together because it took to long to get a court date has to be 18 months now?

any other options on fighting this ticket? I know that I was at wrong since it flew off and the officer obviously didn't believe me. But can I use the new N signs as a defense? stating since they came out with the new N's for motorcycles I wont have a issue of not displaying it again? those magnetic ones would last maybe a week on my yamaha xt350. I lost my license plate a few times too!

any suggestions would great. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fucking rogue cops!

I've seen lots of the old style "N"'s bolted to the bottom of the license plate holes... seems to work fine for other riders... maybe you hadn't thought of that.

But tough luck.

I was pulled over this weekend up by Brohm with no license plate (1/4 of it was left on the bike), a missing turn signal an no insurance papers on me.

After a very diplomatic discussion, we went back to my truck to show the insurance docs... and everything was fine. You must have ran into some wanks... or you just don't have the gift of the gab when it comes to this sort of thing.

I think it's the "N" thing. They hammer you newbs pretty good it seems.

#3 ·
Every "N" rider I met did not want to display their "N"

Last week, a "L" rider needed a supervisor to get to do his test, He got out, happy that he finally passed on his second attempt.
I asked him "Where is your "N"?
He said "Oh, they didn't give me one, and they did not tell me that I had to have it displayed"
He went on his way, without an "N"

Last time I took a "L" friend out for a day ride, I made him Bolt his red "L" at the bottom of his licence plate before we left. One bold with fat washers both sides and the thing won't come off.
He said "It makes me look stuuuupid!!!"

On a different note, when ICBC does road tests, they don't require MC to display the "N", Go figure!

#17 ·
Last week, a "L" rider needed a supervisor to get to do his test, He got out, happy that he finally passed on his second attempt.
I asked him "Where is your "N"?
He said "Oh, they didn't give me one, and they did not tell me that I had to have it displayed"
He went on his way, without an "N"
confused by what you state here. If the "L" rider needed a supervisor to a test it must have been the MST. Passing the MST still
makes him an "L" rider and he has to wait a year to take road test to become an "N" rider. Was he a class 8L or 6L? If 6L you do not
have to display the sign, the 8L (and 8N) you do.

#4 ·
so i talked to a few people and they all agree that my defense is solid.

When the police officer pulls me aside before entering the court room. I will tell him that last year when I was riding I tried close to all mounting positions on my bike and different fasteners. But everything failed and would only last a couple days or sometimes 1 day. I will be bringing both the big magnetic one and the new and improved smaller and plastic one with me and show him the difference(just in case the officer or judge doesn't know about the new N's for motorcycles). and tell him i used 2 zap straps and put it on the bottom of my license plate and I haven't had a problem since they came out with them. The same one is on there from 4 months ago and hasn't flown off and is perfectly visible.

If the police officer doesn't dismiss the ticket I will be pleading not guilty and telling the judge the exact same thing I told the officer outside the court room. and showing the judge the difference between the 2. The big magnetic one is for the car and the smaller plastic one is for the motorcycle, the way they should of done it in the first place!

Does anyone else believe this will get me off of the ticket? I won't be so direct how bad ICBC's system is for the GLP Novice signs. Just hoping they can see that ICBC made a improvement to their system and its a waste of time me being there fighting something that they should of improved a long time ago?

will it work?

#6 ·
yea. Well my court date is on a Friday! I think thats plenty of reason to let my case go.

my last time i went to court, i think the judge got some from the pig that gave me my tickets from the way they were joking around and looking at each other. giving each other the good old wink at each other.

I was going to pipe up to the judge and tell her " you got it backwards! Pigs are for bacon, bacon is for deliciousness in your mouth not in your beaver!"

#12 ·
For the charter challenge, they ask for 2 weeks notice. Depending on when your court date is, you might still have time.

#13 ·
There's no points to the "n" tickets. Why take it to court?.. im just asking.

As for your defence, my guess would be that it's a 50/50. If you can show the judge that you're using due diligence to fasten your "n", then i believe it increases your chances.

If i was in your shoes, i would even sew a "n" sign on my backpack and show the judge that you're serious about finding a solution to be in accordance to the law.

good luck.

#14 ·
white Tape an N to the back of your helmet with Hockey Tape..... End of Problem....

as far as the court thing, you are either displaying it or you are not, do not try and say you are not guilty, play the poor student card ask for a fine reduction and 6 months to pay....

:2cents

#15 ·
if i suck it up and pay instead of going to court and maybe winning. I won't lose my license once again. My co-worker lost his license for not displaying his N 2 weeks before his roadtest. I don't think there needs to be any points on my license. Just 1 ticket is enough to take it away.

#20 ·
Once a 6L/8L rider has passed the MST Skills Test, the supervisor and 60kph restrictions are lifted.

#22 ·
If it's any consolation, I almost got impounded for -displaying- an N a few years back, even though I had my full class 5 at the time. Was driving my little sister's car (hence the N on the back), doing 51 in a 50 zone, got pulled over, and admitted to having had a beer with lunch about 12 hours prior (this was at midnight).

The cop had seen the N on the car, assumed zero alcohol tolerance (even though he had my class 5 in his hand)... after coming back from his car and telling me to get out of the car and that a tow truck was on the way, I was given the rare opportunity to make him feel pretty stupid for the whole scenario by pointing out I wasn't a new driver...

#56 · (Edited)
You mean that he didn't even look at your DL during the entire process? Not even when he stopped you and asked for your DL and registration? Even after "coming back from his car" where he looked at your DL to get the information for the 12/24 hour prohibition and veh impound paperwork? I can't see how the DL status was overlooked...a GLP DL has green on it, a regular class 5 doesn't. Unless he was colourblind I don't see how or why he went as far as you said.

#24 ·
Whats the point of disputing it? You're going to plead not guilty, the judge is going to say "Were you displaying an N?". You say no. Congratulations, you just wasted court time, an officers time and yours. Just pay the ticket and move on with your life.

#25 ·
You got a break on the stop sign VT and you were not displaying your N as required. Not sure what the problem is here or what your great defence would be? The Cop cut you some major slack. If it goes to court and he tells the whole story I can see the JP not reducing the fine because you got off the $176 stop sign VT.

#26 ·
Hmm, could the JP add the stop sign VT back on as a punishment for wasting the court's time?

#30 ·
Im pretty sure the officer won't even remember the other violation. let a long read his own writing. Right now I am not going to do adjournment. Just because it is a Friday *cross my fingers* and hope he doesn't show. If worst comes to worst and the superintendent sends me notice of prohibition I will dispute that too. hopefully someone will realize that the old big N's weren't suitable for motorcycles. and now since the new ones came into effect, and I have no issue of it ripping off, there will be no reason to be back in court for it

#31 ·
Seriously, people like you are such a drain on the system. Yeah it's not perfect but guess what? - YOU WERE IN THE WRONG - The cop was decent enough to let you off on the other charge, probably because you were new and wanted to give you a break. If I was the cop is show up, and lay the other charge on your ungrateful ass. I'm not a cop nor do I know one, but when I get caught speeding, even when it's just a little bit I man up and pay the damn fine. Rant over.

#32 · (Edited)
I think it's a combination of how people are raised, as well as genetic predisposition. Some people deny they do anything wrong, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Some people don't have basic understanding of what "you are wrong" is.. and some folks always have the "well, I was wrong.. BUT, BUT..."

I can see the "N" drivers being full of this sort of stuff. Generally speaking, they are all young adults, and while they think they know everything... they are quite often very immature. Look at the number of them who are ticketed for not displaying their "N"'s on vehicles.. or how they stick them on as "Z" or have to modify them. They are so wrapped up in their little worlds they don't realize how silly they are being.

It's your responsibility as owner to make sure you are displaying your "N". Whether it flew off, or whatever story you come up with is really not relevant... even if it's the complete and honest truth.

I'll bet that of all the "not displaying N" tickets.... 100% have some excuse about why it's not on the vehicle... and 5% of them are probably telling the truth when they say it was there when they started the journey and can't explain how it came off.

When my kids (16 and 20) do something wrong and start with the "well yes, but... but but..." I just shut them fucking down instantly. Nobody gives a flying fuck about "well, but this or but that..." if you are fucking wrong, you are wrong. Get the fuck over it.

Saying it flew off is like saying you put it on your car trunk before you started driving, and it's now gone... so the magnet is faulty... or someone who j walked between your car and another at a stop light must have taken it. "Well it was there when I started riding or driving" doesn't matter. It's either there, or it's not when you get stopped. If it's not, you aren't displaying it.

#35 ·
how is the cop supposed to trust and believe the OP's story when chances are almost everyone they've stopped who hasn't been displaying an L or an N has given them a story? People are great finding excuses, very few actually accept responsibility, suck it up and deal with the consequences.

It may not be intentional but it has to be displayed. It's either there or it isn't, it's binary.

Pay the ticket, you're not getting out of it with an excuse, I believe your story but I don't see how you get out of it.

#37 ·
OP:
Get a dirt bike.
Learn how to ride.
Mature a bit.
Come back in a few years. Statistically; after age 25
This is as much time as I'm going to waste on this but; you're welcome.

#41 ·
What sort of reasonable doubt? It's a requirement to display the N and even the OP says he didn't. It's not like aliens kidnapped him, stole his N and then dumped him back at roadside. It's like the Traffic Court JP said to another person tagged with failing to display...the N was either there or not there..no in between

#42 ·
This is not what the O.P. is going to like hearing.

Firstly, the O.P. is a beginner rider. Secondly, he is about to lose his license again.

if i suck it up and pay instead of going to court and maybe winning. I won't lose my license once again. My co-worker lost his license for not displaying his N 2 weeks before his roadtest. I don't think there needs to be any points on my license. Just 1 ticket is enough to take it away.
Is the concept of "Learning a Lesson" really escaping from people?

Aren't strict restrictions imposed on new riders intentionally done for very good reasons?

Could it be because the odds against new riders are pretty dismal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.