The History of Civil Forfeiture
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The History of Civil Forfeiture

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1

The History of Civil Forfeiture

Interesting podcast on how it is being abused even though this is based on abuse in the the states our Government seems to be following along and taking it to the next level.
    http://ij.org/policing-for-profit-audio-podcast

For those of you not sure how to listen to it just press the play button
    Last edited by XdtesZombie; 08-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Infidels Rule!

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    what'd ya expect?

Bike
    ZX10r
    Seems like only a tiny handful of people on this board actually care that they are getting it up the ass. Yay democracy! Even the Chinese are less complacent and obedient about this shit these days.

Bike
    Funny with all the abuse of the civil forfeiture laws in the states I have yet to hear about any people loosing their cars for speeding.
    Last edited by XdtesZombie; 08-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Infidels Rule!

Bike
    RC
    So the guy had no license, no insurance, and constantly thumbed his nose at the police and continued to ride.

I'm sure some of the smarter folks here will be able to pull up his escapade in Kelowna the other year. We'll take the conversation about his rides in Victoria as read.

And as a result of that the item he was using was seized by the police.

Seized because he just wouldn't listen and chose to continue to break the law.

The problem with that is what?

I'd like to see more of this. Go for the drunks who won't listen and continue to drive. Go for the dopers, and theives and other scum. Have at it; you have my blessing.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    So the guy had no license, no insurance, and constantly thumbed his nose at the police and continued to ride.

I'm sure some of the smarter folks here will be able to pull up his escapade in Kelowna the other year. We'll take the conversation about his rides in Victoria as read.

I'd like to see more of this. Go for the drunks who won't listen and continue to drive. Go for the dopers, and theives and other scum. Have at it; you have my blessing.

just like any law/rule/regulation the problem is with the enforcement of said laws and the misinterpretation of this and it's original purpose. this was supposed to be aimed at gangsters and growers, not the guy doing 131 in an 80.

Bike

This is exactly how the Government wants you to react,so that you will support their abuse of power and removal of everyone's rights,including yours!
    I have no problem with criminal forfeiture,if a person is convicted then the police should have this tool as an option.
    The problem with civil forfeiture is their is no burden of proof on the prosecuting party and can be abused for profit,as has been show in the past where charges are not even laid but property is taken.
    Infidels Rule!

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Corruption. Lies. Collusion. Unnecessary force. Overreaction. Extension and abuse of power. Militarization of the police force, and the criminalization of the civilian population. Another layer of the onion of bullshit is peeled back every day, yet you still take them at their word, that this is not only "a good thing(tm)", but necessary??

fuck that.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    RC
    Please point me to the good people who have had their property stolen.

The guys hosting that podcast by the way; owned by the Kochtopus.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    05 Sv650s
    Here's the outline of the program in BC

http://www.fmi.ca/uploads/1/Rob_Kroe...ure_Act_03.pdf

I love page 12. $5.6 forfeited - $500k returned to victims, $725k in crime prevention/remediation, where the heck did the rest go?

My issue with this is that the rights of the government to seize property involved in unlawful activity is already covered under criminal forfeiture. Civil forfeiture removes too many constraints and is ripe for abuse. The judicial principal behind it is perverted...the onus is on you to prove that you are innocent, rather than for the crown/agency to prove you are guilty.

Bike
    Please point me to the good people who have had their property stolen.

The guys hosting that podcast by the way; owned by the Kochtopus.
    Justice Minister Shirley Bond announced Thursday that in the fiscal year not quite ended, the CFO has seized $10.8 worth of property from suspected criminals.
    For the first five years, there were no successful court challenges

See the problem here?

Since 2006, B.C.'s Civil Forfeiture Office has operated under the authority of the Civil Forfeiture Act. The Civil Forfeiture Act and Regulation allows the Director of Civil Forfeiture to initiate civil court proceedings against property believed to be the instruments or proceeds of unlawful activity.

In 2011, amendments were made to the Civil Forfeiture Act. These amendments allow the Director of Civil Forfeiture to commence administrative proceedings against property valued at $75,000 or less that is not real estate (see Part 3.1 of Civil Forfeiture Act, Administrative Forfeiture of Subject Property). These proceedings are not commenced in court, they are an administrative process.

Read the act it is fuckin scary http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...de/00_05029_01

The short version says they can take what they want from who they want whenever they want with no proof!
    Infidels Rule!

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.

here's the problem I have, if I get caught driving 160 KPH on highway one in my 25 year old sunbird, I get an impound, if I do the same thing in a car worth 250,000 dollars, suddenly The Office of Civil Forfeiture is there drooling on the paint job as they STEAL what I own...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    property believed to be the instruments or proceeds of unlawful activity
    If I am a rich person who buys a Lambo, how is that car a "proceed" of unlawful activity and subject to civil seizure if I am speeding????

the problem now is they have decided that anything illegal that is done is grounds to take your shit, you have a rental house you paid for legitimately and your tenant turns it into a grow op, these fuckers will take that house....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Shirley Bond. My, how I have grown to loathe thy name. My love for thee can bare no better term than this: thou art a Villain!
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    here's the problem I have, if I get caught driving 160 KPH on highway one in my 25 year old sunbird, I get an impound, if I do the same thing in a car worth 250,000 dollars, suddenly The Office of Civil Forfeiture is there drooling on the paint job as they STEAL what I own...
    The won't seize it, the first time.

Make getting tickets at twice the speed limit your hobby and brag about how much of a joke the fines are to you and demonstrate other negative character traits and then your car will go bye bye.

As for the hang wringing over the words "suspected criminals" they have to be called that. Otherwise they'll be suing for slander. It's merely accuracy in reporting.

BC certainly seems to be in a bit of a unique spot though re the car issue. Not many other places in the world where you will see a lot of cars that cost more than houses in 90% of the country that are being operated by drivers with limited skill who didn't buy the cars on their dime, no strong ties to the community, minimal to no respect for other people on the road, and just generally lacking any sort of street smarts.

Perfect storm I guess.