Suburban Trees

Thread: Suburban Trees

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom

Suburban Trees

I'm thinking of planting a Red Oak in my back yard as a shade tree, and to create a screen from my rear neighbour. (we're good friends so it's nothing personal)

I'm concerned that the oak may be too big of a tree, but like that it's fast growing and has a wide spread. If you have one in your yard in this zone and can comment on how it's doing I'd appreciate it.

I have a unique property that slopes from front to back, and left to right, with a great view of the Fraser Valley and Mt. Baker. Unfortunately this makes it a bit of a pain to work with. My intention is to create the shade / screen for comfort while the kids play in the yard in the hot months, and the feeling of privacy.

I already have an apple tree, cherry tree, coral barked maple, 3 Euro Aspens (40' screening my right side neighbour), a coral red dog wood at 12' and a fairly new cedar that is now about 25'. I'd be replacing a Japanese Maple of some sort that was supposed to fulfill the same roll, but was damaged shortly after being planted several years ago when a neighbour boy mowed my lawn, and has never recovered.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

++++++ Array
    Street Triple R
    a. Your grandchildren can worry about the size of the tree with respect to your property; shouldn't grow too fast.
    b. Have you okay'd it with your neighbor? It might not be on his/her property at the moment but probably will stretch that way down the road (leaves for some people = bad) + you don't want to be obstructing any views. There might be something else the tree might do which pisses him/her off.
    c. Check and make sure you don't need any permits etc. This is outside my area of expertise as I don't currently own a house but just a thought.

just having fun Array
    not red
    i would assume any nursery could give you info as to the growth rate, spread and best exposure for this particular tree. once known take that into consideration when planning on where and how far from the property line you are going to plant it. from what you described sounds like your back yard has south or south/east exposure so remember that's the sunny side - if the tree gets too big you may actually lose more sunlight than you wanted in the first place. lastly, privacy will be lost in the winter months with the leafy type of tree.
    don't click here

Registered User Array
    You'll never live to see the shade generated. Oak is a slow growing tree. Not the best for a back yard either. Unless of course you love to replace drain tiles or rake leaves all the time. Oak is brittle and sucums to center rot. The city here has slowly been removing them from the street across from me. Wind blows and they snap. A few cars have been wadded, one roof smashed up pretty good. Davey Tree was up there trimming back a few year and the shit was falling apart. I know Oak Bay in Victoria is having issues with them as well, and those are old ass trees through uplands.

I love trees in the yard, but man it's a chore to keep on top of the maintanence. I own a truck specifically for towing a trailer to the compost yard. About a yard of debris a month, clipping and leaves, small branches etc. Still I wouldn't give that up for a condo lifestyle.

I dont even remember
    only the best
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    You'll never live to see the shade generated. .
    I second this.....unless you spend 2 grand and get one matured a decade.....

You'd be surprised Array G Hats's Avatar
    North Vancouver
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    I have an oak in my front yard and the thing is MASSIVE! it is also a huge mess every autumn. I would suggest you look into an evergreen. Conifers are great but if you want a leafy tree you can consider something like a Magnolia tree which grows to about 25 feet and quite full. It also flowers every year and smells quite fragrant too!