BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

ZX6R Owners?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  canuckerstone 
#1 ·
Suppose to be checking out an '05 ZX6R tomorrow, of which I know nothing about the bikes personal attributes ie: km, history, anything, just the specs I've read online.

I was wondering if any one here who owns or has owned one of these bikes has any tips specific to the bike to look out for. I found some info on the zx forum that mentioned the ECU getting warm due to exhaust placement that was semi common, fix seems just to require a heatshield, and the rare issue with one of the front forks leaking.
Aside from that, decent bikes other wise yeah? Reliability is my only concern, and if all checks out I aim to take Bandito's advice and do the whole history check..not even sure if the owner is a member here or not.

#2 ·
It would be worth the $50-$100 to take it to a shop and have it professionally checked out. Do your own thorough inspection and if you're happy with it take it for a test ride. If everything works and it rides straight get the proper ICBC checks done and have it inspected.

Good luck

#5 ·
Haven't had a ZX6R (was looking at em seriouslya few months ago, love the 05/06 636s) but recently picked up a 10R. Having had 3 GSXRs in the past and hearing all the crap about Kawa I was a bit worried. But it's by far the best bike I have ever owned or ridden hands down. Put about 8,000K in 2 months and no trouble yet. Valve noise is a bit present, which I've heard is common on the Kawis.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I took a look at the bike yesterday and visually everything looks pretty good.

kerunt: That sounds like a serious qc issue on Kawi's behalf, very good to know though for next time.

Holyrain: Any idea what makes the valve noisy?

#8 ·
I had an '05 636, great bike loved it had no issues with it at all. Sold it three years later. Another friend still has his 636 and I am not aware of any issues that he has had with they bike. I just got a 2008 ZX6R and am loving it. You can check out the ZX6R forum and see if they have any tips for you.

As stated above, the usual things that anyone would do before they get a used bike.

#9 ·
Had an '05 636 myself for about a year and a half - first bike since my high school 250. Awesome, absolutely ZERO issues with it.

Keep in mind when researching on forums - you rarely get people going on there saying their bike is trouble free. It's mostly the outliers with frame issues or whatever. They're great bikes, have a nice mid range when compared to that vintage 600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.