what are your thoughts? put yourself in this mans position...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what are your thoughts? put yourself in this mans position...

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki

what are your thoughts? put yourself in this mans position...

this has me bawling, crying solid tears. this is awful. this poor man. if i was in his position i would want it to be over.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...gal-challenge/

Britain's High Court has rejected an attempt by a man who has locked-in syndrome to overturn the country's euthanasia law by refusing to legally allow doctors to end his life.

Tony Nicklinson had a stroke in 2005 that left him unable to speak or move below his neck. He requires constant care and communicates mostly by blinking, although his mind has remained unaffected and his condition is not terminal.

In January, the 58-year-old asked the High Court to declare that any doctor who kills him with his consent will not be charged with murder.

The High Court ruled that challenges from Nicklinson and another man named only as Martin to allow others to help them die without being prosecuted were a matter for parliament to decide.

Nicklinson said he was "devastated and heartbroken" and planned to appeal Thursday's decision.
    "I am saddened that the law wants to condemn me to a life of increasing indignity and misery," he said in a statement.

Martin, 47, also has locked-in syndrome and asked for the court to allow professionals to help him die either by withholding food and water or by helping him go to a clinic in Switzerland to die. His wife said she respects his wishes, but does not want to help kill him.

Locked-in syndrome is a rare neurological disorder where patients are completely paralysed, and only able to blink. Patients are conscious and don't have any intellectual problems, but they are unable to speak or move.

The judges wrote that they were both "tragic cases", but said to allow euthanasia as a possible defence to murder "would usurp the proper role of parliament".

Nicklinson had argued that British law violated his right to "private and family life" as guaranteed by the European Convention on Human Rights, on the grounds that being able to choose how to die is a matter of personal autonomy. He has previously described his life as "a living nightmare".

Legal experts weren't surprised by the ruling.

"The feeling seems to be that only parliament could give adequate thought to what sort of law should be in place and the safeguards required," said Richard Huxtable, deputy director of the Ethics in Medicine department at Bristol University.

Name:  gyi150348672_182qvvf-182qvvh.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  36.0 KB
    i'm rocking to my own beat

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    so they dont want to do their job and just want to pass the buck. nice.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Government knows best, even when you can live or die.

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    I empathize with them. In BC, it's legal, in some cases...

http://www.theprovince.com/health/co...389/story.html

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
    I empathize with them. In BC, it's legal, in some cases...

http://www.theprovince.com/health/co...389/story.html
    there is hope for humanity yet

Bike
    A colleague of mine helped euthanize a terminal patient several years ago. He was arrested, charged, and convicted and spent a couple of years in prison. He took a shotgun out to the woods with his friend, and well, you know the rest.

Not sure what position to take if I were to be put in a position like the person in the story. I don't think anyone of us can make such a choice until one is actually in that position. it's easy to say now, as we are all fit, and able minded people, but come to their position, then the tables may be turned.
    Last edited by Booger; 08-16-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    A colleague of mine helped euthanize a terminal patient several years ago. He was arrested, charged, and convicted and spent a couple of years in prison. He took a shotgun out to the woods with his friend, and well, you know the rest.
    i don't understand.

our bodies are our own.

if i want to pierce my ears or any other part of my body, dye my hair or get my whole body covered in tatts, then that is for me and only me to decide. if i want to put on weight or lose weight or become the most muscley person in the world or get a nose job or a boob job - it's all up to me.

but to end my life, surely if should be my choice too? i do not understand why it is illegal?

the government should NOT dictate what i can and cannot do to my body.

suicide is illegal - what the hell is that? surely they understand the world is over-populated anyways?

and even then, what is it to them if i do live? what do they want from us?

i do not wish to commit suicide now, not at all. but what if i was bound in a wheel chair, only able to move my head, or one finger? if i was in a situation that was only going to get worse, it should be up to ME as to what i want to do with it. continue living, or not.

Bike
    The assisted suicide debate as well at the right to life/abortion debate will have haters and believers alike and both have extreme arguements to bolster their cause, so much that politicians avoid this topic like the plague. I've got my own position on this but don't care to publicize it cuz it would only fan the flames of heated derisive debate, much like the protesters for each camp. I don't care to get into that type of arguement with people, either on the web or in person.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    There's no greater crime than the removal of sovereignty over one's own body and mind.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array
    Bike
    K4 GSXR
    Euthanasia is probably one of the most popular topics covered in any university intro philosophy course... (abortion, drug legalization probably fill out the rest of the top 3).... tough call in some cases, but this one seems pretty clear... poor guy.

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Man, "locked-in syndrome" really sounds like the shits.

Bike
    2002 - TL1000R
    Remember the dad in Saskatchewan, that killed his daughter because he didn't want to watch her suffer from a severe form of cerebral palsy

His original jury trial convicted him of second-degree murder and sentenced him to 10 years in prison. A subsequent appeal had the sentence lessened to two years less a day, but a final appeal to the Supreme Court upheld the original sentence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-homicide.html

TLRDeano
    Last edited by Venom; 08-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Bike
    SeaBeeRRRR
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    There's no greater crime than the removal of sovereignty over one's own body and mind.

+1.. exactly..

if we are unable to make our own choices then what's the point??

and the control freak, psychopathic douchebags making the decisions whether we can off ourselves or not. what qualifies them as knowing best.

being denied your one dignified escape is cruel and unusual punishment..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Remember the dad in Saskatchewan, that killed his daughter because he didn't want to watch her suffer from a severe form of cerebral palsy

His original jury trial convicted him of second-degree murder and sentenced him to 10 years in prison. A subsequent appeal had the sentence lessened to two years less a day, but a final appeal to the Supreme Court upheld the original sentence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-homicide.html

TLRDeano
    yes, that was Robert Lattimer. He did it based on his perception of how his daughter's life would be or become. I don't think that is the same, since I don't believe it was of the daughter's own volition to end her own life with the help of the father, as all her mental faculties were not in place to make such a judgement on her own life. He made that choice for her, and hence he went to jail for that.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    In 1996 my 42 yr old husband had multiple strokes before he died. After the third stroke, he requested to deny food and medication and be allowed to die. An "ethics" committee was convened and studied the situation. The committee ruled against him and he had to endure being force fed and tied down to receive meds. It prolonged his agony by 4 months. 16 years later, it still brings tears to my eyes to think of the torture (what else could you call it!!!)and disrepect this caused. When there is clearly no hope of recovery and every day is hell, it would be a mercy to put this person out of their suffering. Having watched this on a daily basis, I can say, there are worse things then death. Sometimes it's life.