Banning pit bulls
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89

Thread: Banning pit bulls

  1. #1
    Fonz Be With You Array njoytheride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    2006 Yamaha R6 / 2007 Yamaha FZ6

    Banning pit bulls

    So a little history on this one ... i have friends with pit bulls and they're the most loyal and friendly dogs i've ever met, given they dont look cuddly and cute like a yorkie (spelling?) but nonetheless, i went to high school with this Sahar chick and this totally drove me up the wall that she's voting to ban pit bulls.

    http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Mis...102/story.html

    Just another 'miss congeniality' looking for her 15 seconds of fame ... dumb broad.

    What your opinion on this ladies and gents?
    "Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."

  2. #2
    Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    השטן שב
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    I have no sympathy for campaigns of restriction, driven by FEAR and MISUNDERSTANDING, and nothing else.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

  3. #3
    Ridin Dirty Array vstromgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    This^^^^^

    I would like to see a ban on all bans....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

  4. #4
    countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    ...or at least bring in regulations stating that pit bulls must be leashed and muzzled at all times.
    KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE PEGS AT ALL TIMES!

    just as ridiculous.
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

  5. #5
    Got Crazy? Array crazycharlie909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    2012 Diavel Carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    I have no sympathy for campaigns of restriction, driven by FEAR and MISUNDERSTANDING, and nothing else.
    This.


    The end of that article is actually great, because the SPCA actually give a realistic approach and an educated opinion on the subject. The fact is any big dog, and even most small dogs can do great harm if they bite. Pitbulls just get a bad rap because of how they look, and how they have been portrayed in various forms of media. My pitty doesn't even bark, let alone go on visious rampages....... Unless you count getting whacked by her tail. Even still, she is kept on leash and handled correctly whenever we're out. Not because I'm worried, but because its the safest thing for her. My shepherd gets the same treatment.
    Suck it Trebek!!!

  6. #6
    Ridin Dirty Array vstromgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BC
    Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
    just as ridiculous.
    perhaps we need laws stating Beauty pageant contestants need to be leashed and muzzled at all times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

  7. #7
    Registered User Array Dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I like my
    Bike
    k7 gsxr 600
    I was going to post "I would like to see a ban on all vstroms" but there's just too much win in this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    perhaps we need laws stating Beauty pageant contestants need to be leashed and muzzled at all times...
    BCSB- Moderator
    .

  8. #8
    Registered User Array bandito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    I adopted an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier... essentially a pitbull... from the SPCA down near Grandview somewhere.

    Female.. .not that large.. but holy hell... strong as can be. I had lots of dogs... but this dog was obviously abused... because it would go insane near any other dogs or strangers. It would get whipped up into a viscious frenzy that I had never seen before. I'm talking to the point even I was wondering if I could deal with the dog.

    Fast forward many years... I had the dog for perhaps 10... of which I gave it to my parents for about 6. After lots of love and socializing, it was the most lovely, gentle dog I'd had. It wouldn't have hurt anything.

    That breed is part of the ban. It's been in the local paper lately, it's a damn shame.

    That said.. just on Tuesday, there was two huge pittbulls running around my neighrborhood at 8am... chest bumping.... growling... knocked through a neighbors fence in their escapade... I went out to see what was up, and ended up jumping into the box of my pickup truck as they careened by my house in total madness mode.

    Maybe they wouldn't have bitten me... but I wasn't about to find out. I know from owning a dog like that... they have so much power, you have no idea. They can knock you to the ground in no time.
    Last edited by bandito; 08-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

  9. #9
    Dam I got old fast Array FZrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    richmond
    Bike
    2003 fz-1
    Of the 4 times my lab has been attacked when we are out walking and he is on leash, 1 by german shepard, 3-pitbulls, I don't blame the pitbull's, it's their owners and I would like the right to beat the shit out of the owners with no repercussions.

    I have only smacked one guy up the side of the head when he let his dog attack a second time and got in my face I was hurting his dog as I defended my dog and myself with my 5-ft hickey walking stick aka repurposed shovel handle.

    Since we can't ban shit-head dog owners like we can't ban shit head-gun owners the next thing is to limit what they have access to.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

  10. #10
    Let the good times roll Array Good Karma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    GSXR 1000
    Unfortunately the media is short sighted and only interested in creating headlines that help sell papers or keep people watching 'the news' on tv so that more commercials get viewed. The words Pit Bull draw peoples attention and that is what the media wants. Then unfortunately the naive and uninformed masses tend go along with what they are told.

    The reality is that I have had a Pit Bull/American Staffordshire for 5 years and have not had any problems. The only thing that seems to bother her is if another dog aggressively sniffs her back end for too long or for some reason a male thinks mounting her is a good idea. The result is usually a deep bark and an aggressive posture to which the other dog usually gets the message to back off. Sometimes they persist however.

    Generally the owner of the offending 'persistent' dog is too stupid to realize his dog is the cause of her getting upset and says something like 'your dog is aggressive' to which I reply it's too bad you don't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Good Karma; 08-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.

  11. #11
    Mortgage Pimp Array J_Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Whistler, BC
    Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    My dog had its neck torn open by a pit bull so I disagree on them being the most "friendly" of all dogs. Pitbulls are actually less aggressive with people than they are with other animals, and that's due to the nature of the breed, which is just the instinct. And my guy isn't the only one to be attacked by another dog, there's another chronic dog biter in town that's also a pitbull. Bad owner? probably, but hardly ambassadors of the breed.

    That said, I'm 100% against the ban. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone what kind of dog they can own, much less our government. But the fact is these dogs need good owners. Not just NICE owners, but owners that can display dominance over them and socialize them properly. I see so many poorly trained dogs out there it bugs me to no end, people treating their dogs like kids, not putting them in their place. That's not a good environment for a pitbull either. It needs to be loved, but not dominant.

    I'll even add one last thing, I know the owner of the Pitbull that snapped on my dog too, they're good people, he was well socialized and he was (in my opinion) well trained, but when I saw him snap, something took over in that dog that I've never seen before, and he got REALLY mean, REALLY fast. Took a good couple of boots to the face before he dropped my dog too (trust me, if your dog was down with a 90lb dog on top of him you'd kick it too). I wouldn't get a pitbull in a million years because of that experience. Still though, not supporting a ban.

    Quote Originally Posted by FZrrr View Post
    Since we can't ban shit-head dog owners like we can't ban shit head-gun owners the next thing is to limit what they have access to.
    Can't ban speeders, but can we can try and take away your bike? Stupid reasoning.
    Last edited by J_Scott; 08-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Chronic Array PRSmechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Kelowna
    Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    I think if asshole owners were charged with serious offences if their dog (any dog/mutt/purebred) harms anyone, and like assault, the more damage the more serious the charge, the problem should lessen. Even most clowns understand jail time, fines, maybe not so much?
    Therefor, good owners, and people with passive dogs, would have nothing to worry about.
    Apply existing laws to people responsible, something new I know, but it has worked in the past ;-)
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

    https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483
    http://daytonaparty.shawwebspace.ca/
    DO IT!

  13. #13
    Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    השטן שב
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Well, it IS a dog-eat-dog world, after all. Perhaps humans should step aside, and let nature run it's course, let the dogs sort it out.
    Then, the yappy-little-mutts will be relegated to their true position in nature: FOOD.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

  14. #14
    countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Richmond
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    I'll sign that petition!
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    perhaps we need laws stating Beauty pageant contestants need to be leashed and muzzled at all times...

  15. #15
    Insert User Title Here. Array TripleTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spinning right round baby right round.
    Bike
    Yes.
    I'm not for a ban here I don't think, but as was mentioned above, I'm in favour of the full brunt of the law coming down on owners whose dogs attack randomly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •