The new iPhone 5/iPad mini/ipod thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The new iPhone 5/iPad mini/ipod thread

Bike
    I wish.

The new iPhone 5/iPad mini/ipod thread

Please note, this thread is not for bashing Apple or Google for their respective OS's, but rather a discussion, merits, con's and what not of the new offerings from Apple. Please try to keep on topic.

For those unaware, new iPhone today, likely a new 7" iPad and perhaps some ipod updates.

Starts at 10AM PST so all the new should be out by around 11 or 12.

http://live.gizmodo.com/
    Engadgets version with live broadcast.

I'm quite interested as I've been fiending for a larger screen for some time, and I'm pretty sure Apple's conservative size increase (assuming what we've seen so far is correct, and I'm 99% sure it is) isn't going to be enough for me. My phone has simply become more of a mobile personal computer and I want more real estate. I DEMAND IT.
    BCSB- Administrator

Let the good times roll Array Good Karma's Avatar
    Bike
    GSXR 1000
    Unlike Adamantium I am searching for a phone that is a bit smaller than most of the current 'super phones' so that it can fit in my pocket more easily.

I am looking for a phone that is durable, has good battery life and that has an actual keyboard to type on.........basically I want a Blackberry 9900 but the OS needs to be Android or Apple so that I have a decent selection of app's.

There is a Motorola Defy but it is only for Rogers of which I am not a customer and it is a bit of an older model running an older version of Android.

Bike
    I wish.
    Yeah we're not talking about that here Good Karma. Thought I made that clear.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    My 3GS is on its last legs and my contract is up for renewal... curious to see what it's going to have in store.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Bike
    in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by cuski View Post
    My 3GS is on its last legs and my contract is up for renewal... curious to see what it's going to have in store.
    I'm in the same boat...I've been anxiously awaiting the "unveiling" of the 5 but have heard rumours that we won't be able to use the same connecters as the docks on the 5 will be different & won't be compatible...I wonder how true this is.

Otherwise I'm thinking of upgrading to the 4S (as they'll be almost free).

I think the "announcement" is supposed to be at 11:15PST...tick tock, tick tock...
    When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...and add lots of vodka!

Fonz Be With You Array njoytheride's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 Yamaha R6 / 2007 Yamaha FZ6
    ..sorry, i deleted my last post in error ... try http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/ for updates
    "Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    In for the people who dont' want a pho'blet in their pocket and covering their face when talking.

LTE on Bell network is shocking'ly fast.
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    here's another website for live updates:

http://www.theprovince.com/technolog...log-apple.html

Bike
    in progress
    Following this blog right now:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...195206432.html

Darn it...may have to go with the 5 after all...

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    still have another year left on my contract for the Iphone 4 (didn't want the 4S, I don't want a phone that talks back to me) and curious about the Iphone 5. I could upgrade early, but chances are I'd be looking into getting an Iphone 5 this time next year.
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

Bike
    yz250f
    If you really just wanted a bigger screen the Samsung Note has been out for 6 or 7 months :|

Bike
    in progress
    So far it looks like they've thought of everything...and more! iPhone 5 looks sweet!!!!!

Bike
    Iphone5 release is done, they're into ipod/ipads so here's a short list of some of the stuff released:

A6 processor - x2 speed/ x2 battery
    bigger screen - 4 inch
    vast added features to SiRi for sports scores, facebook updates and table reservations at restaurants, etc
    28 megapixel panorama photo
    1080p hd video
    3d satellite maps intergrated with TomTom/Waze, real time traffic reports/updates
    20% lighter
    Facetime over 3G (unless you had jailbroken, in which case you've already had it)
    LTE - obviously
    Face detection
    Smaller adapter/plug
    .... and so on. As far as the release date in Canada, September 21. IOS 6 is out September 19 and iTunes 11 should be out closer to the end of October.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it also has an accelerated software for iTunes within the iPhone itself which means it'll work faster - as well as iTunes itself obviously.
    Last edited by njoytheride; 09-12-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Bike
    in progress
    Here's a recap of today's highlights, led by the iPhone 5.

iPhone 5: 112 grams (20 percent lighter than 4s), 7.6 mm (18 percent thinner), 4-inch display (up from 3.5 inches), 1136x640 pixel resolution (up from 960x640), a fifth row of icons on the screen, 44 percent more color saturation, LTE network compatible, available on Verizon/Sprint/ATT, processor and graphics are 2x faster (new A6 chip).

Battery: will "exceed battery life of the iPhone 4s." 8 hours talk time, 8 hours browsing, 10 hours wifi browsing, 10 hours video, 40 hours music, 225 hours standby.

Camera: 8 mp, 3264x2448 resolution, f/2.4 aperture, 25% smaller, improved low-light quality, panorama feature, 1080p HD video, front-facing Facetime camera updated (720p) and face detection, improved mics and speakers,

Dock and connector:
    New connector is called Lightning, 8 pin, reversible (adaptor available for current connector).

Pricing: $199 (on contract) for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB. Pre-order Sept. 14, ships Sept. 21. iPhone 4 will be free (8GB), 4s will be $99 (16GB).

iOS 6 adds Apple's own map app, with turn-by-turn directions and a new 'flyover' satellite view. A smarter version of Siri, too. iOS 6 comes out Sept. 19. Will work on iPhone 4, 4s, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and 4th generation iPod Touch.

iTunes 11 makes it easier to manage playlists. Adds a "coming next" button to change the song queue quickly.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    I guess if you are an iPhone user, you would probably be quite excited about the new model, sounds pretty cool anyway.

Speaking from a perspective of not having one, I can say that the upgrades/changes do not sway me personally.

I have a feeling that new connector is going to be a royal PITA for many people, even though it's long overdue to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **