Race track, executive airstrip proposed north of Airdrie, Alberta

Thread: Race track, executive airstrip proposed north of Airdrie, Alberta

Steveston Village
    Triumph Thruxton

Race track, executive airstrip proposed north of Airdrie, Alberta

Ball starts moving.

CALGARY — A $30-million car racing park proposed northeast of Airdrie is the first step in a massive development that would include a new executive airstrip for the Calgary region’s high-flyers.

While promoters have a tentative agreement to secure the 200 hectares for Rockyview Motorsports Park and the longest car track in Western Canada, the greater ambition spans more than 1,200 hectares of rural land and about $200 million in development, including a fuller racing complex and a private airport.

Dominic Young, who heads both the airstrip and motorsports company, refused to disclose the location or dollar amounts raised so far, but did confirm that it’s near Highway 567.

“I think there will be a time to reveal the exact location, but it’s not today,” said Young, a former executive with accounting giant Deloitte. He did say that his group has begun consulting with neighbours, and reaction is mixed.

Young and other race track supporters revealed the bigger and snazzier successor to the Race City complex in southeast Calgary, which closed last year because the city needed its land back. He acknowledged they were formally unveiling the vision sooner than they wished to, thanks to last week’s media reports on the long-awaited project.

If funding is in place and Rocky View County council green-lights the track facility, it could be open by spring 2014. That first phase would include a 4.5-kilometre track with more than a dozen turns over rolling land, as well as a drag strip and kart track.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz272G1AnFJ
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

2. Remove Advertisements

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Shuttleworth Snap
    I sincerely hope they have better luck than the Merrit motorsports park project.

That would have been such a fantastic place - great climate also.
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Cow town
    848 EVO Dark
    Old news, I'll let you know if dozers show up. Then it will be interesting. Maybe I will get to change another track......