slipper clutch questions

Thread: slipper clutch questions

slipper clutch questions

OK guys did the searches couldn't find anything definitive so I'm asking. Not asking about stock slippers but from the guys that have retro fit them to their bikes that never had them.

How hard to set up? Very mechanically inclined just no experience with them.

When "they" speak of setting up the clutch how are the adjustments made? +/- of clutch plates or shims?

For the guys running them have you noticed any premature wear of any components.

Anyone here find them so hard to set up that they said fuck it and sold/threw out?

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array Jonny Quest's Avatar
    Install and set up are very easy if you have any mechanical skills and the patience to accurately measure. Setting up to the manufactures specs is just based on the stack thickness of the clutch plates vs the clearance you have between the base of the clutch and the pressure plate. Simple measurements, then adjustments are made using thinner/thicker plates. They come with instructions.

If you're talking about setting it up beyond the instructions you can also adjust the clearance with shims as well as order different weight springs. You could go as far as ordering custom sized ball bearings and custom machined ramp angles. If you're talking about crazy shit like that, I have no clue.

As far as clutch life I think it's the same. Assuming you're still using the clutch and rev matching when downshifting. The more you use the slipper effect of the clutch the more wear there will be. You can use the stock or aftermarket plates and they're cheap. Either way clutches last a long time.

BTW - I'm a noob and own a bike with a factory non slipper clutch. I am a mechanic, however, not a bike mechanic. My limited experience is on others bikes, but I found if you can read a vernier caliper or a micrometer you can install a slipper clutch.

Triumph Tiger
    Slipper clutches will wear a bit quicker than a lock up unit that's a fact, but probably not a big deal anyway.

I just finished pulling the slipper in my Ducati and installing the stock unit. Just didn't like it on the street that much.
    With a slipper, won't be able to bump start if you stall or have a weak battery and forget about backing it into the corners.
    I can see the benefit on the track, but not for street riding.