It's going to get loud...

Thread: It's going to get loud...

Cow town
    848 EVO Dark

It's going to get loud...

A couple of weeks back my receiver stopped being able to adjust the volume with the remote (first world problems eh?) and I decided it was time for a new one. I had been using a Sony STR-DA50ES for the last twelve or so years and most recently had been using it to drive a pair of Klipsch F-20s, a KSW12 sub and some cheap Sony rears and center channel speakers. I had done research before buying any of the pieces and the biggest factor when I bought it all was bang for the buck. I think I paid $200-$250 for the F-20s, $125 for the sub, $50 for the Sony speakers (all new when purchased) and I bought the Receiver used for $650 off a frend who had used it for about a year.

I was pretty happy with the setup, it worked well and got the job done, especially from what I had invested in it.

So when I started looking for a new receiver I had to consider buying something from Visions as I had a store credit to use (don't ask, let's leave it at lesson learned) so I started looking at the Onkyo products. I ended up deciding on the TX-NR1010 with 7.2 surround, (specs here: and I am very happy with it so far.

It was super easy to hook up, everything is pretty much HDMI and the back pannel is very well labeled. It also has some pretty good features as it is the most recent offering from Onkyo. It has some wizbang microphone you attach and it adjust the equalizer to your room, is ready for nine, yes nine, HDMI components and you can hook it up to your wired/wireless network. It has a USB on the front that will let you use your tv to drive your ipod (and I think iphone) and a whole crapload of dolby/THX settings to thrill those of you who care.

I haven't used it much yet, but I am certainly impressed with it so far. I was listening to some Van Halen (the real stuff, not that Sammy Hagar crap) and it was like someone had actually turned my speakers on. The sound was so much clearer and the individual sounds were defined and crisp. My speakers have been called bright, but I like them and now I can't believe how much better they sound.

I haven't bought the $30 wireless dongle yet, but will shortly so I can use the interwebz radio connectivity. I am also still finding out all the abilities of the remote and what it will control. It does most of the cablebox/pvr stuff so my wife will be happy that she doesn't have to look a a table full of remotes. It also comes with the ability to program several macros, so that will be good. I hate having to push seventeen buttons to turn everything on or off. Sorry FWPs again...

I paid $1387 otd (this was after my $400 credit) and this seems to be the hold point right now. MSRP was $2200 when it came out in July, but I'm not sure if it will drop much further any time soon.

If you can take a listen to one I think you will be impressed at this price point, it has the majority of the features in the two higher models but really, who needs 11.2 surround? If you are on the fence for a new receiver it might be an idea to go take a look at what is out there, especially if it has been more than five years or more since your last look. I got lulled into a sense of complacency and I am sure glad I have this new unit.

Registered User Array SizzleChest's Avatar
    over yonder
    Onkyo is the best bang for the buck... when they work - they have issues with HDMI boards failing. I opted for a Denon AVR3312, but when you compare specs with any brand at a simliar price point to any Onkyo model, it's usually the Onkyo that looks like the obvious choice. Audyssey is a very neat room calibration tool and your unit has multiEQ XT32 which is the best that they have available. Home theatre is an expensive and addictive hobby. Congrats on the purchase.
    *** Do not buy from MarcLapierre. see why ***

New West
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleChest View Post
    Audyssey is a very neat room calibration tool and your unit has multiEQ XT32 which is the best that they have available. Home theatre is an expensive and addictive hobby. Congrats on the purchase.
    It is super cool, I have it on the e receiver I bought this past summer, the middle of the line HT-RC370, and always
    find that I want to turn the centre channel up manually, a fair bit, when watching a flick.....wonder why that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Doesn't register Array Mutate Now!'s Avatar
    "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
    It runs...
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    ...and always find that I want to turn the centre channel up manually, a fair bit, when watching a flick.....wonder why that is?
    I've been a fan of Denon for many years because of their excellent power supplies. I'm currently running an older AVR-889. I think Audyssey is one of the greatest advancements in home theatre in a long time. I own a few db meters and I used to spend hours calibrating the levels on my system. Audyssey levels and equalizes automatically, and does it extremely well, creating a full sound field. Bye bye localized speaker effect!

It does each speaker individually and sets the output level and equalization to flatten the frequency curve for the listening position(s) you have used. Because the ear is naturally sensitive to the frequencies around which conversations occur, these frequencies get boosted the least.

I think the 'low volume' level is actually a function of how the system calibrates. When we are watching a movie, dialogue between two characters in the middle of the screen will come out of only the center speaker. We have sound from only one speaker competing with the soundtrack and ambient effects emanating from all seven, and the frequencies at which the dialogue is happening have been boosted by the system the least.

I also believe the encoded audio tracks have been pre-mixed by the studio with a home theatre in mind, which further exacerbates the situation. I have watched movies with Audyssey off using the PCM soundtrack off the blu-ray, and conversations are much better balanced, but your room would pretty much need to fit the specs for which the soundtrack was encoded for to sound the best... I've taken to turning up the center channel a few db when watching movies to account for this phenomenon. Remember to turn it back down if you are listening to music though, as a loud center channel tends to flatten the sound stage.

This post is simply the opinion of the poster and is not to be construed as instructions or advice. Your mileage may vary.
    I rode Deal's Gap / The Dragon in September 2007 and I visited Yellowstone in August 2010. Where have you been?