I have had alot of customers lose there bikes in the last few months. What happens is they place an ad in the buy & sell the person comes to look at the bike and asks to hear it run or asks for a test drive. If they test drive it they bolt and never come back. If they ask to hear it run they get you to go inside the house for some reason .They ask you to to get a pen , aspirin, water or ring your phone number from there cell or someone else calls to get you to go into the house and leave the keys in the bike . Once again the bike is gone. It happens with dirt and streetbikes. Even if they drive up in a vehicle it's probably stolen.
Protect yourself in these ways:
1) Specify on the phone the bike is XXXX amount if they don't have the cash don't waste your time, you could be out riding instead.
2) Meet somewhere other than where you store the bike. If you can't do this make a time to meet and lock the bike in front of your house or apartment never show in the garage or underground parking.
3) If they want a test ride it's payment up front you'll refund the money if there back in 30 minutes. Do not take a deposit $500 won't replace your bike
4) Check there vehicle for an ignition switch you don't have to make it obvious just glance .
5) Don't trust anyone I've been scammed by a 68 year old gramma once.
6) Don't let this discourage you from selling your bike just be prepared.