Aluiminum Rims! HELP!

Thread: Aluiminum Rims! HELP!

Aluiminum Rims! HELP!

Hi Guys,

I need a little help, i used Bell Ray chain wax, and i didn't use the anti fling stuff. So my rear rim is trashed in grud. The worst part is, after i cleaned my rim, they were all corroded and pitted.

How do i fix them?

I'm thinking sand them down again, and then use mothers polish.
    But what grid of sand paper do i use, and jump up to, and finish in. Should i wet sand, or do it dry? Then do i just polish them with Mothers again? How should i polish, like a polishing diaper?

Thanks guys, for all your tips.

My only tip, make sure you buy anti fling wax, or lube.

2. Remove Advertisements

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If it's lighter pitting, more of a discolouration than pits, then you could start with 400 grit wet or dry. But if the pits are actually etched in holes then you're going to need to remove a helluva lot of metal so 280 or 320 would be a good place to start. From there go to each grit up the ladder, no jumping or you'll regret it.

And wet is the only way to do it. It's prevents the paper loading up and causing deep scratches. Add a few drops of dish detergent to a bucket of water to help the water flow better and cut the debris.

So depending on where you start it's 240, 280, 320, 360, 400, 600, 800 then 1000 or 1200 then Mothers.

I suggest a good car wax to protect them after that. I've had excellent luck with Eagle Wet One on some polished bicycle parts that see year round use. Works great on my paint as well.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    West Vancouver
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    Is there anything that you can do to protect aluminum rims? Some sort of thin clearcoat that could withstand the ocassional acid?

Alcoa(the aluminum people) make avery effective sealer for polished alloy but I understand the best is a product called Zoopseal. Pricy though. Try

bcsportbike goon Array Gujustud's Avatar
    Get it anodized hardcoat.

Entertainment Poster Guy Array rearwheelrider's Avatar
    Da Village
    05 750 gixxer (no,seriously)
    speaking of sanding..........

I don't want to contest any ones ideas here, but i was just wondering... if the rims undergo sanding - on a grandeur scale- is a guy likely to off-balance his rims?

i'd sure like to know just how much you could get away with before bringing on unwanted risk.

People who never do any more than they get paid for never get paid for any more than they do.
    – Albert Hubbard

The Mighty One
    As long as you don't take away A LOT of material, it doesn't make any apreciable difference. The rims are very light as is.