Classic car parts or custom metalwork?

Thread: Classic car parts or custom metalwork?

The Mighty One

Classic car parts or custom metalwork?

I had a thread a while ago looking for some information on importing a Torino from the states. I bought it and things have been great but I can't really leave anything alone. I've never really been into automatics and I'm in the process of a motor/transmission swap. It's getting a mildly built 351c and a tremec 5 speed. So far things have been slow but I'm just about at go time. I'm having a really hard time finding one of the cosmetic pieces to put in my 5 speed and retain the factory 4 speed look. I know there are a lot of talented people on here with various backgrounds and I was hoping for a few tips. My skills are ebay and google and so far I'm batting a big fat zero. If anyone has any leads on where I might find more exotic used stuff like this in the lower mainland, I'd love to find original; otherwise, does anyone have any thoughts on making one from scratch? The part itself looks diecast but I think some machining and bending on aluminum plate could also make a fairly close replacement.

These are just pictures poached from the internet but the top is the automatic floor shifter console plate that I have. The bottom picture is the 4 speed manual plate that I'm looking for. They're usually in the $500 range, if they can be found. I'm just not having that kind of luck and am getting a little impatient with ebay. The 1970-1971 Ford Torino or Cyclone plate is unique for those models but I'm pretty sure I can use the Fairlane/Torino or Cyclone plate from 1968-1971. I know this is a sportbike site and a big longshot but I thought it might be worth a try.

oldskool suzuki rules Array maggotbreath's Avatar
    237 HP 86GSXR11 Turbo Streetfighter, 84 GS1150EFE, 73GT750 in pieces. XN85, GS250, GS450, BSA500X2, BSA650, XT350
    If the plate you need is impossible to find, use your original, modify it as required with bondo or whatever. Then cast a mold etc....

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    3rd rock from the sun. po co.
    bunch "o" bikes
    I used to make/repair unbuyable parts for old cars n hot rods for some guys from the Langley car club. Try those kind of clubs. They were mostly a chevy club but there were a few ford guys. And there is a huge Mustang club here. I am sure someone can help you.
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bad Motherfucker Array thebronze's Avatar
    On Yer Wife/GF/Mom
    Rocky Mountain, 1986 Livingroom (Aspencade)
    Leave this with Me for a few days... I'll look into it, I have some connections back in T.O

Stock appearing shifter for a 5-spd ... Some other parts You may need as well.
    Last edited by thebronze; 11-30-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Anything You Can Do...... I Can Do Drunker
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dying...... And dying to Me don't sound like all that much fun"

Happiness is the corner Array Land Roving's Avatar
    Sea bee yar eff for eye.
    One place to try is Concept Muscle Cars in Cloverdale, if they're still in business. Guy had a warehouse full of parts cars.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Husaberg FS570, Aprilia Tuono V4R
    hemmings motor news

it's the NOS parts bible

hanging out at timmies Array
    posing with one of my zukes at 7/11
    a suzisomething
    go through the local mustang club. a lot of what you are looking for, especially mechanical parts are interchangeable
    with 71-73 mustangs and maybe 69-70 as well. try Wasney's auto wrecking. they are a ford only wrecker and they
    carry a consideral amount of collector parts. Talk to Ed Wasney ( owner) and explain to him what you are doing and
    what you need and want, if he doesn't have it he'll tell you where it can be located. Ed is a good guy and is very
    enthusiastic in helping people with their pet ford projects.
    Wasney's is located on Trapp road in burnaby.
    Last edited by rawdonflyer; 12-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.