BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

club racing/class racing/sv or ninja 250 questions

3K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
i'm a lazy fuck, sometimes. this is one of those times. there is a hint of ignorance as well. been out of the lml for almost 5 years. want to do some club racing in the near future. is there a strong grid of 250's or 650's at mission? this type of racing has appealed to me and many others in the bike biz for awhile and i know i could convince a few more to gear up and race with 32 awesome hp or whatever the sv's are throwing down. it's cheap, fun, and the racing would be close. so what's the deal with these classes at mission, or the ridge, or any other track within a 10 hour drive. might be the wrong forum but i think by being in general maybe some others might see this and be interested. sorry for being lazy, but having just read a thread on wmrc about rule changes, well, i just don't have it in me and would love to hear from guys that are involved.

#2 · (Edited)
there is a bit more to it than just picking one of those classes.

I raced novice in 2011 on a 750.....this year was kind of a fuggered season both for the club and for me (my 'new' 600 wouldn't make sound for rounds 1 & 2 then I sold it just before round 3). After my 600 was sold I decided to build my 1000 street bike into a track bike and rode it down the states in August and September. I prefer riding track days in the states and like the liter bike for that.

I have been thinking about what I would like to race at Mission next year considering the elimination of intermediate. While I think I could run mid pack in the new formula ultra and in superbike on my 1000 I know that I don't stand a chance getting on the podium or collecting any potential contingency money against the established experts. For this reason I have been considering building a 250 but even there I will be at a disadvantage against the guys that weigh 50 pounds less than I do, however, it should be a good class, particularly for the lighter rider.

The sv class is kind of a grey area in my limited knowledge because there are a few really built sv's that are pumping 85 or 90 hp which really isn't fair compared to a relatively stock sv........this being said the new rules may address some of this but I don't know for sure. SnoDragon would be the one to comment on this.

Another cheap and somewhat interesting category is vintage/formula classic.

#3 ·
there is a bit more to it than just picking one of those classes.

I raced novice in 2011.....this year was kind of a fuggered season both for the club and for me (sound for rounds 1 & 2 then sold just before round 3). After my 600 was sold I decided to build my 1000 street bike into a track bike and rode it down the states in August and September. I prefer riding track days in the states and like the liter bike for that.

I have been thinking about what I would like to race at Mission next year considering the elimination of intermediate. While I think I could run mid pack in the new formula ultra and in superbike on my 1000 I know that I don't stand a chance getting on the podium or collecting any potential contingency money against the established experts. For this reason I have been considering building a 250 but even there I will be at a disadvantage against the guys that weigh 50 pounds less than I do.....however that should be a good class, particularly for the lighter rider.

The sv class is kind of a grey area in my limited knowledge because there are a few really built sv's that are pumping 85 or 90 hp which really isn't fair compared to a relatively stock sv........this being said the new rules may address some of this but I don't know for sure. SnoDragon would be the one to comment on this.

Another cheap and somewhat interesting category is vintage/formula classic.

so.....is there a dedicated 250 class or what class would they fall under? would rider level really matter when pinning a sewing machine around all day?

#4 ·
yes there is a 250 class and there are going to be some excellent riders in it.

rider level is huge in that class because carrying corner speed is very important because you can't just whack the throttle and go on the straight.

rider weight is also important because on a 27 or 28 hp bike carrying a 130 pound rider or a 180 pound rider is a huge difference

#16 ·
Get a 250 and come mini racing at Greg Moore Raceway. Entry fees are dirt cheap and there are plenty of rounds all of which are on weekends. The WMRC are, unfortunately, at the mercy of the car club along with several others and don't get very good or many dates at the track most of the time (through no fault of their own). The kart guys like the mini guys and everyone gets along. Buy an annual membership at the kart track along with you PCMRC membership and you can pretty much show up anytime and ride. It's a sweet deal. I started mini racing last year and I was amazed with how accessible the track is and how much seat time you get for the money.

#18 ·
Nope it doesn't count when it's that far back. 250 is where it's at. I'd LOVE to say 650 is the shit, but sadly, that falls behind the current 250 class. More riders in that, and it's spec racing. Spec racing is what made the 650 class so nice! now the 650 class has a few built up bikes, myself including in that. We've modified the 650s to be a superbike (low HP at 90 or under), but still needs some money in it. The 250 class is basically race with what ya got.

A GOOD rider on a 250 will blow away the current crop too. Weight doesn't matter if you can ride the wheels off the thing. Both Mark Kruger and Oliver Jervis showed us that in the last round we had. Granted, they not heavy riders, but at 185 for Kruger and I'd say 170 for Jervis, they put on one helluva show and smoked the rest of the riders, who were MUCH lighter. The advantage is *still* at the rider level, although a fat dude like me can struggle on those bikes.

I say go for it!

#20 ·
I had a minimal budget last year and raced in Formula Classic. It was a blast!

I'm going to have limited funds again for 2013. In addition to FC, I'm seriously looking at both 250s and mini racing -- both look like a ton of fun

:rockon

#23 ·
Did you just call me fat? And yes, the newf is pretty quick out there

#25 ·
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090628101949AAj97HS

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

husk⋅y1  /ˈhʌski/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [huhs-kee] Show IPA adjective, husk⋅i⋅er, husk⋅i⋅est. noun, plural husk⋅ies.
–adjective
1. big and strong; burly.
2. (of the voice) having a semiwhispered vocal tone; somewhat hoarse, as when speaking with a cold or from grief or passion.
3. like, covered with, or full of husks.
4. made in a size meant for the larger or heavier than average boy: size 18 husky pants.
5. for, pertaining to, or wearing clothing in this size: the husky department; husky boys.

–noun 6. a size of garments meant for the larger or heavier than average boy.

fat  /fæt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fat] Show IPA adjective, fat⋅ter, fat⋅test, noun, verb, fat⋅ted, fat⋅ting.
–adjective
1. having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese: a fat person.
2. plump; well-fed: a good, fat chicken.
3. consisting of or containing fat; greasy; oily: fat gravy; fat meat.

I would say fat people can be anything, from having a gut to obese, whereas husky can be, short and stout or strong and large.
Source(s):
http://dictionary.reference.com/

#27 ·
Everything you need to know on the WMRC side of things is on this page. Lap times, rider numbers per class in each race. On the surface it looks like a pretty thin grid but could still be fun considering the close lap times between the top riders.

http://wmrc.ca/race-results.html

#28 ·
Looks fun. However the racing could probably be improved, i'm going to propose a 1.18 cut off for this class.:coffee

#35 ·
250 racing is fun. Want to have fun?

Head out to the Vancouver motorcycle show next month, stop in at the WestCoastSuperbikeSchool booth and sign up for the first race course of the 2013 year to get your license. Then stop in at the WMRC booth and fill out the forms and become a member. Then stop in at the Kawasaki booth and ask me anything you want about racing 250 ninjas. (or like us on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ninja-250-Racing/155496284515675)

#36 ·
so for the greg moore track scenario, is it reasonable to run a stock street legal 250? or is it more serious racing with race prepped bikes. I would expect removing mirrors and taping stuff but do you need to wire nuts and bolts, race tires, etc. Would be pretty nice to ride out there, race all day and ride it home.

#37 · (Edited)
Pretty sure you could if your bike was safety wired which is pretty simple on the 250, like everything else about the bike.
The first race last year for me, my bike was stock, like I was putting it together in the pits before the race. I'm in it, so it can't be that serious!

Just a muffler slider $5 from home depot and some frame sliders.

Check with the PCRMC FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/41851942993/

#39 ·
The problem with that, is that you'll have to take your race numbers off when on the street. most clubs have policy against riding with your numbers displayed. You'll have to remove the headlights I think for GMR, as well as slider the heck out of everything else. You don't need race tires, but they are going to help A LOT. The rest is just basic race prep. Wired, no anti-freeze, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.