Light, dog-friendly hikes?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light, dog-friendly hikes?

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none

Light, dog-friendly hikes?

Most of you lazy bums probably never leave Starbucks (can't blame you), but here goes:

I want to do a few light hikes w/ the pup tomorrow & Wednesday. Beginner to intermediate level, nothing longer than 5-6 hours round trip (3-4 hours would be ideal). Few people & good scenery go to the top of the list. Was planning on going to Garibaldi lake, but just found out it's not dog friendly. Bummer.

Any ideas?
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    none
    Just found this awesome site:

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/regions/?filter=dogs
    http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/?filter=dogs

I'm sure I'll find something there. Problem solved!

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    also check out clubtread.com for conditions and tons of info/beta on the trails

ps merry fistmas
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    also check out clubtread.com for conditions and tons of info/beta on the trails

ps merry fistmas
    Cool, thanks!

Happy holidays!

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Bike
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Most of you lazy bums probably never leave Starbucks (can't blame you), but here goes:

I want to do a few light hikes w/ the pup tomorrow & Wednesday. Beginner to intermediate level, nothing longer than 5-6 hours round trip (3-4 hours would be ideal). Few people & good scenery go to the top of the list. Was planning on going to Garibaldi lake, but just found out it's not dog friendly. Bummer.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Just found this awesome site:

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/regions/?filter=dogs
    http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/?filter=dogs

I'm sure I'll find something there. Problem solved!
    Post first, find answer later! Hahahah..

I take my little yorkie on hikes/walks around Lynn Canyon Loop and Buntzen Lake cos they're pretty flat and easy and they have lake/water for swimminz in summer! (= They're pretty good. What kinda dog u got?
    -teg-

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    Diez vista trail up at Buntzen lake. it's quite enjoyable.

Cheers,
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by integra298 View Post
    Post first, find answer later! Hahahah..

I take my little yorkie on hikes/walks around Lynn Canyon Loop and Buntzen Lake cos they're pretty flat and easy and they have lake/water for swimminz in summer! (= They're pretty good. What kinda dog u got?
    I've got a 4.5 month German Shepherd. Here she is yesterday at Rolley Lake:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Cheers,
    I scanned those trails I posted above and picked out a few, including the Buntzen Lake one.

Will be doing Jug Island Beach tomorrow, Buntzen on Wednesday, and Pitt Wildlife Loop sometime on the weekend. Should be good stuff!

Bike
    I used to take my dog on day hikes all the time. I used the book 101 hikes in SW British Columbia. Good descriptions, good maps.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Cheers,
    That is a good hike, done it many times. Not sure it's best with a pup. Bring lots of water and be ready for breaks. It's not a "novice walk".

And for the record, I've hike the PCT from Monument 81 to Oregon on my own.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    I used to take my dog on day hikes all the time. I used the book 101 hikes in SW British Columbia. Good descriptions, good maps.
    I have this book as well as many others, as well as mountaineering books... Kerunt, you are welcome to stop by and borrow them, you know where I live. The problem you have now is snowline.

Some books of note I have for you;

- Don't waste your time in the BC Coast Mountains "an opinionated guide".
    - Don't waste your time in the North Cascades (the same)
    - 101 Classic hikes in Washington

Each of these books has hikes for shoulder season, so there is something for now.
    Last edited by bandito; 12-25-2012 at 05:12 AM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    the UBC endowment lands are very beginner/light-duty and you can walk around as long as you want, usually not too crowded.

Seymour mountain has some nice trials too, I have always seen lots of dogs in there. Park at the bottom of the road up to the ski hill, I think you take the Old Buck trail up to the Baden Powell but again go as far as you like.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    the UBC endowment lands are very beginner/light-duty and you can walk around as long as you want, usually not too crowded.

Seymour mountain has some nice trials too, I have always seen lots of dogs in there. Park at the bottom of the road up to the ski hill, I think you take the Old Buck trail up to the Baden Powell but again go as far as you like.
    I grew up near UBC, and the trails were like my backyard, we must have explored every inch of them. You can go for hours just taking different off-shoots, and in the winter there are not very many people and most are off-leash dog-tolerant.

All of Garibaldi Provincial Park is a no-dog zone, unfortunately.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishinwoman View Post
    I grew up near UBC, and the trails were like my backyard, we must have explored every inch of them. You can go for hours just taking different off-shoots, and in the winter there are not very many people and most are off-leash dog-tolerant.
    And for the record, there was a time when the PoPo had Nooooooo idea there were trails in that bush, don't ask me how I know or I'll have to "deal" with you!!

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by AVINTWIN View Post
    And for the record, there was a time when the PoPo had Nooooooo idea there were trails in that bush, don't ask me how I know or I'll have to "deal" with you!!
    Haha, yeah, I've seen a few "shady characters" on my walks through the trails, never stuck around to chat (not inferring that you're "shady", lol). There was an episode of "X-Files" that involved devil-worshipers, and it was filmed in UBC trails, near a tree stump that was very distinguishable. I remember seeing that stump way before the filming, and getting a weird feeling from that location, haha.

For beach walking, if you start at West Spanish Banks (I believe there's an off-leash park there) and head west, you can go quite a ways, past Towers Beach, then Wreck Beach, right to the river (depending on tides).

Lynn Canyon was always one of my faves, never had an issue with taking the dogs there. On-leash near the start of course, but once you're a ways into the trails then it seems like most dogs were off-leash.
    Last edited by flyfishinwoman; 12-27-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

More throttle less brake Array jfviffer's Avatar
    Bike
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet 800 r1200s
    There are closer places than Rolly. Cliff park/falls 252 and Dewdney (turn south on 252) is a nice easy scenic trails, falls and creek can be spectacular after heavy rains several movies have been filmed there over the years. Was a favourite with my dog, ran the trails several times a week until she recently passed away. She loved the stops at her favorite watering holes, used to be a hidden jem with very little traffic, unfortunately its getting busier now with the cookie cutter disease climbing up the hill. Ruskin dam and hayward have lots of hiking trails way longer than bunzen, trails on east side are better and steeper rarely used.
    Anyways congrats on you new puppy!