BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Tires, tires, tires .........

7K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  Sikorsky 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for another set of rubber for my Tuono. It came with Q2's which provided me great feedback and almost limitless grip. The mileage was ok, about 7000 km per set. The only issue I had with them was excessive cupping on the front. This happened on both sets.

My riding is a fairly even mixture of spirited jaunts on backroads and droning about playing look-see. When push comes to shove, dry grip when heeled over is most important to me. I'm leaning towards various Pirellis or Michelins because of previous experiences that were very positive, but am open to anyone's opinion based on their personal experience.

Let's hear opinions, its been far too long since there's been a tire thread! ;)

#2 ·
fwiw, enjoying BT003RS a heck of a lot more than i did metzelers K3's. got lots of heat into the tires even in October temperatures.

didnt do too bad in the rain either when i got caught out in it on my way back from squabux... same october day. as a matter of fact, had so much fun that i fueled up and went for double take to squabux :laughing

#3 ·
Pirellis reportedly wear a little faster than Michelins (depending on which model of tire), but provide a tad more grip at the outermost margins (of the envelope of sanity).

Apparently the Q-2's are fabulous tires, and unless you go to a sport-touring tire, I doubt you'll get much better distance by changing brands (other than the benefit of finding out how the various tires differ in handling characteristics).

can't hurt to change.

#4 · (Edited)
I have Q2s on the ZX-10 and Pilot Power 2CTs, on the VFR, ran Bridgestone BT-016s on the ZX-10 before the Q2s. So far nothing has touched the Q2s for pure confidence. Plus BK has them on sale for $249.

Top of the season to you!

#38 ·
I was actually thinking about those for one of mine. Almost picked up the road attack SM's for a friend of mine, but skagit was out of them.
What kind of wear are you getting on them!? I've been reading reviews on another site, guys there are getting the same as a pilot pure on the heavier of the early 2k sport bikes.

Cheers,

#7 ·
For sport touring you can't go wrong with pilot road 3's.
They last forever and work well in all weather.
I put mine on at the beginning of the summer of 2011 and the back is pretty much toast now.
During this time I have been on at least 4 3-5000k road trips down to Vegas, Utah,North Cal, ect on a high torque high hp bike.

#8 ·
if your front tire is cupped the problem isn't with the tire directly it is your suspension setup that is the problem.
too much compression damping resulting in not enough suspension compliance.
if you need to wind in alot of compression damping to get the front as stiff as you want it, then you need stiffer springs
and a visit to RMR

#14 ·
dunno what it is... but 50 profile tire also felt..... better somehow than stock 55.

wondet how that changes cornering.... but i highly doubt ill be doing anything to see the benefits of a 55 tire.

#13 ·
Nice. Quite a bit of useful info. And it was delivered quickly with no name calling.

That price at BK is pretty sweet. That's where I got my last set of them.

I'll look into the suspension set-up. With a set of freshly serviced Ohlins forks going on, I'll swing by RMR and pay a couple of bucks. They are expecting me for a set-up appointment anyway because they also just rebuilt the Ohlins shock.

#15 ·
I switched from Q2 to Pirelli Diablo Rosso II - faster-heating, grippier compound and more "V"-shaped profile (faster tip-in). Really love them!

Maybe check out the various options in the Diablo range...

Oh, and money spent @RMR is a wise investment :)

#17 ·
I've got the factory Diablo Rosso Corsas, so far super happy with them. Far more grip than my skill requires, have about 6K on them now, probably squeeze another 1K out of the rear. Bike was in break-in for the first 1200km, so that probably extended life a bit. Only complaint is they get a bit grumpy on tar snakes.

Glad I'm happy with them, considering I'm stuck with them due to the wonky rear size (180/60).

#18 ·
Pirelli Rosso Corsa (not the OEM model. Yes, they are different). Best grip/feel of any street tire I've ever been on. Not the cheapest tire by far, but the confidence they inspire is very very nice. I get 9,000kms on a front and 6,000kms on a rear on a 500lb bike. Tempted to step down to a Rosso II, but I'm lazy, and just keep getting the same tires I trust (lame). Only other tire I would consider if price was an issue are the S20's.

#19 · (Edited)
Great tire CDG but the sidewalls on the front don't like a heavier bike or rider! Not most riders problem though but a genuine issue for moi!

Edit!: it wouldn't be an issue for you; Sikorsky!

#20 ·
Q2's for sure.

Oh, and at $249/set you better not fucking complain about getting 7000km's out of them you cheap bastard! ;)

NO other street tire compares to them, not even close.

I ran a set for 2 trackdays at the end of the year last year in the top 1/2 of Advanced group at The Ridge and had ZERO issues. They were used when I got them for 5 track days at Mission/Tradex previously by the bikes owner and after my 2 days on them they still look minty fresh and ready for 7 more! FYI - that's an ETERNITY for track tires. Normally I get 5-6 track days out of my Dunlop AMA Spec race tires which I thought was bad enough but I tried Pirelli last year as my suspension guy Barry from KFG Racing switched from the Dunlops to Pirelli but I literally got 1 full day out of the rear and 2 from the front and those cost me $430 after sponsored rider discount!

Get the Q2's and ride with confidence knowing the tires can handle a lot more than you'll ever put them through. ;) If they are good enough for Pridmore and his entire STAR School staff to ride on, they're good enough for us!

#22 ·
Come on..... You must have some info on the new Hankook or Nitto tire?

I'm a Michelin fanboi for sure, I've been running them for the past, well long time. Lot's of guys liked the new Pure, the 2CT is a great road tire I beat a set up on my GSXR 1000 and never had them slip up. They heat up quick (which is what a proper road tire is supposed to do), and seem to last very well at a street pace. Pure was designed to be streetable, but it's way up there in the performance range to be used for a track day.

Still for me, I want to try the Road 3 this year, for commuting and the occasional rip at a +20km/h pace. Nothing stupid. I see one guy on here did a track day with his Road 3's, on a Z1000, they held up well enough. I won't see that pace on the streets, so why not.

I rode the Q2's Joe had on his Speed Triple, they were very similar to the 2CT, except they took a bit to heat up, not a huge deal. I liked em.

#23 ·
I am running Bridgestone S20 right now..probably the set of tires i have ever tried so far on the RR. My take BT-015 = 2/5 , Mezt M3 = 2.5/5 , 2CT = 3.5/5 , Q2 = 3/5 and S20 = 4.0/5

#25 · (Edited)
If your thinking of getting new tires, and doing some price checking to get a good deal, try the link below, I always get my tires from them, as no one here has been able to beat the prices they have, even with shipping costs.. shipping usually takes 5-7 days, and they will send em to the shop of your choice.

http://www1.petes-superbike.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.