Motor swap??

Thread: Motor swap??

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Being built

Motor swap??

I m posting this for a buddy. His motor took a dump last year and he is going to replace it with a used OEM motor that he still needs to buy. Rebuilding it is just going to cost too much.

The question is does he need to let icbc know once he has swaped the motor?

From what I have seen icbc doesn't even have a record of the motor serial number on the registration.

I have told him to make sure the motor he buys isn't hot and to run the serial number by the police.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Mechannibalism's Avatar
    Bike
    '87 GPZ 400 '87 GSXR 400
    ICBC doesn't care if you swap motors as long as it's the same CC category
    You're just a crackpot till you hit the jackpot - Wernher von Braun

Registered User Array BugMagnet's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Suzuki DL1000A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechannibalism View Post
    ICBC doesn't care if you swap motors as long as it's the same CC category
    I'm thinking they might care who installs it though. If you were to have a crash that pointed to how that motor was swapped, they might have an issue with that. Not sure if OP was suggesting his friend is going to install it himself.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Or depending what he rides maybe a bigger one?

I recon there are a few gsxr "600" running around. Just like there were a few gsxr "750" in late 80s early 90s, wink wink
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    Just like cars you do not have to report engine replacements, but you should advise them if there is a serial number on the motor, it will avaiod future problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    Husaberg FS570, Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilo View Post
    Just like cars you do not have to report engine replacements, but you should advise them if there is a serial number on the motor, it will avaiod future problems.
    technically if it's the same motor, that is true. However it is illegal to swap a motor that came from an older car/motorbike (emissions related legislation).

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Being built
    Thanks for the quick response guys.

He will most likely get a shop to do it. The motor is going to be the same as stock but with different serial number.

corner worker Array solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    technically if it's the same motor, that is true. However it is illegal to swap a motor that came from an older car/motorbike (emissions related legislation).
    I really doubt a police officer is going to notice emissions changes to a motorcycle as in a sportbike, about the only thing I have ever seen is noise violations.
    I agree though, it would be a really good idea to have the serial number run through a police check, there has been lots of bike thefts in the last couple years.
    Unless you buy from the states, which is most likely really hot, those numbers up here I doubt would be trace-able.
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    ICBC doesn't care . I buy lot's of wrecks they don't report engine numbers . Cost around $500 to get a shop to swap it that would include all fluids and a tune up .

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Being built
    Thanks gents...I'll pass the info on. Everything checked out on the motor we found. Will call up some shops now to get it swapped.