Nitrogen in your tires ?

Thread: Nitrogen in your tires ?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR

Nitrogen in your tires ?

Posted here as it also applies to cars & truck...

I recently purchased a lightly used 4x4. The dealer told me all about how they had put nitrogen in the tires. I'm really skeptical about these sorts of things. It really sounded like a lot of blather and we carried on to complete the deal. I suspect that there is a lot more of this out there than I have heard about or paid attention to. Today, I did a bit of googling on the topic and found a good article from Edmunds.com Well worth reading. Make your own decision but make it an informed decision.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/shou...-nitrogen.html

In summary, they said :

" Is Nitrogen Worth It?
    The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Based on cost, convenience and actual performance benefit, we don't think nitrogen is worth it. A much better use of your money would be to buy a good tire-pressure gauge and check your tires frequently. This is a good idea even if you have a tire-pressure monitoring system in your vehicle. The warning lights aren't required to come on until you have less than 25 percent of the recommended tire pressure. Having the correct tire pressure will get you many of the benefits of using nitrogen and will ensure that your tires last longer. "
    SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    People actually pay for this?? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Wasn't this a thread a couple of months back?
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    KTM
    Yes. Yes it was ...............

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...n-those-tires-!!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Wasn't this a thread a couple of months back?
    Please, tell me it isn't so. A thread that Chia missed. The Mayans were right, the world is coming to an end
    SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)

Bike
    KTM
    I think he's just under the weather today. All will be good and he'll be the fountain of all that is good later this evening.