New girlfriend!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New girlfriend!

Kabu

New girlfriend!

Too bad she lives in Brazil... fuck, falling in love over the Internet sucks. Well at least I know she’s just not after my bike.

orangemirage
    To bad she lives in brazil , my girlfriend lives in victoria. Long distance is tough but if the love is there no distance can keep you apart. Have you met her yet , or are you going to see her?

Bike
    2006 600rr
    Originally posted by orangemirage
    To bad she lives in brazil , my girlfriend lives in victoria. Long distance is tough but if the love is there no distance can keep you apart. Have you met her yet , or are you going to see her?
    I never could figure how one could fall in love over the net... *shrugs*

Kabu
    I haven't met her yet; we've just been writing each other over the past two months. I'm planning on settling there or at least visiting her for a while, after I've finished paying off my bike and have a few thousand saved up. Hopefully I'll start working for the city again soon...

blazinr6
    Originally posted by dubzz24
    ditto man, ditto...

talking to a hypothetical person is not the same as face to face...computer mediated communications leave out all of the body language and sincerity of actual communications...

but if it works for you - great

Kabu
    Originally posted by dubzz24
    Warren, maybe it depends on how you see love? For me, to fall in love with someone is to find them as being beautiful and want to have that beauty in your life. I would think it would at least take an imaginative individual to fall in love over the net, and that one can only hope that the dream is more than a fantasy.

Kabu
    Originally posted by blazinr6
    ditto man, ditto...

talking to a hypothetical person is not the same as face to face...computer mediated communications leave out all of the body language and sincerity of actual communications...

but if it works for you - great
    Good point about the body language, I can only hope that there's as much synchrony in that, than there is in our intellect.

One thing though: define actual communication and explain how the sincerity in anything otherwise is necessarily missed. Is sincerity a certainty in face-to-face communication?

Bike
    A black one
    What if you meet and she is a beauty in everyway except she has Halitosis so bad you need a gas mask to get near her?

Some things can`t be seen on the net.
    Hug a two stroke....you`ll never go back to trees.

Bike
    its blue
    what's the point in having a girlfriend you will likely never see in person? Wouldn't that be more akin to simply "friend"?

Bike
    2006 600rr
    Best of luck! Although long-distance relationships are very difficult, they're definately not impossible. You just need to keep yourself modivated

Whitedragon

something learned this semester

This is straight out of my textbook from one of my classes
    this semester.

I am neither for or against your internet relationship. It is up to you what you will decide- but I hope that you will go in with an informed decision before you jump into things.

(Good luck to you!)

"The nature and pace of interactions on the NET is quite different than talking on the phone, and that's one reason people like them. We can take our time to consider what we want to say, and because no "leaky" paralanguage* is involved, we have more control over the messages we send".

*paralanguage includes all the variations in a person's voice other than the actual words he or she uses

...and...

"Use of the internet is another option for starting relationships. While physical appearance is prominent in personal ads and video dating, it is minimized in computer interactions.

Nonverbal behaviours are also absent. Internet users can get to know one another rather quickly and intimately, achieving both breadth and depth in their online relationships.

Markle and Richardson contend that mutal self-disclosure and intimate sharing of private worldviews are keys to these relationships blossoming.

...many of the new friendships formed by electronic communication may be weaker than those established by face-to-face interaction".

Vicious Little Tree Rat Array squirly's Avatar
    Bike
    I love you, Briar!

Good Luck and Godspeed!

Kabu
    Yes, well there's certainly an added spin to the risk that's involved in such a romantic pursuit, however she seems worth it. If things were to work out, then either she or I would settle in the other's country. If not, then I've still gained a very good friend.

Bike
    <>

Wink

All you need is a web cam each and then you can pretty much reach out and touch someone.

Kabu

Re: something learned this semester

Originally posted by Whitedragon
    This is straight out of my textbook from one of my classes
    this semester.

I am neither for or against your internet relationship. It is up to you what you will decide- but I hope that you will go in with an informed decision before you jump into things.

(Good luck to you!)

"The nature and pace of interactions on the NET is quite different than talking on the phone, and that's one reason people like them. We can take our time to consider what we want to say, and because no "leaky" paralanguage* is involved, we have more control over the messages we send".

*paralanguage includes all the variations in a person's voice other than the actual words he or she uses

...and...

"Use of the internet is another option for starting relationships. While physical appearance is prominent in personal ads and video dating, it is minimized in computer interactions.

Nonverbal behaviours are also absent. Internet users can get to know one another rather quickly and intimately, achieving both breadth and depth in their online relationships.

Markle and Richardson contend that mutal self-disclosure and intimate sharing of private worldviews are keys to these relationships blossoming.

...many of the new friendships formed by electronic communication may be weaker than those established by face-to-face interaction".
    Thanks, I'm actually well versed in psychology myself, being a student of it, and am aware of all of these factors you mentioned. My first and last relationship also started over the Internet and ended about three years after I meet her. I found the transition from one form to the other virtually seamless, and I anticipate this one being the same, not to say it will be- but I feel optimistic.