Build to Fail, Fail to Build. What is this I don't even.....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 16 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Build to Fail, Fail to Build. What is this I don't even.....

Wanderer of the Wastes DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY

Build to Fail, Fail to Build. What is this I don't even.....

I bring you this for your viewing pleasure. Constructikons and do-it-your-selfers may get an extra special kick out of this one.

So, my landlord has taken it upon himself to build a 'toolshed'. For a roto-tiller. At least, that's the entirety of what he told us - there is, however, some inherent communication issues. (He's Korean, and not yet well versed in english (though certainly much better than my Korean)). There's one door so far, and a lawnmower will not even fit through it. (I don't think he knows that yet though)

So, this is the 'project' thus far. For one, the ground it's being built is mushy moist marshland - your feet sink with every step. Which is always ideal for a good foundation - or complete lack thereof.

It may not be immediately obvious, but I don't think this man has a background in construction.
    It appears he owns a hammer and saw, perhaps a measuring tape, perhaps not. Certainly nothing like a square, straightedge, or level.
    I guestimate that he has seen no more than 3 episodes of various home improvement shows, and maybe at best he's driven by a construction site atleast once in his life. After all, "how hard could it be?"

Indeed.

Now, I'm fairly certain this violates several bylaws. But I have no intention of stopping this beautiful process. I want to see this abortion come to term, and will keep this thread updated as this eyesore... evolves.

The pics almost don't do it justice though, at a glance you may almost think everything is straight and parallel. It's not.

Solid foundation. Note the footprint sinkholes opening up.

These blocks will surely prevent it from sinking, right?

Everything lining up so far...

Looking good....

I saw Bob Villa do it just like this ....

2 short planks are surely better than 1 long one...

Square, almost.

Perhaps a false-wall, or shelving system taking form here...

And, finally, this seems to be the only pic that even remotely captures and conveys the true deviance in the 'angles' present....

http://imgur.com/a/kDuXo#1EUCjL9

I don't think I'll ever set foot inside this thing...

Video links

http://www.youtube.com/user/DNAspark99
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Medium Pimpin' ORYX is on a distinguished road ORYX's Avatar
    Bike
    03 SV650s SOLD
    I love you a little for posting this. Will be checking back to see amazing progress.

Also please don't interfere with his process, this needs to happen organically. If you start to help him by teaching him how a rebar, concrete and a level work the work will lose its authenticity.
    Originally posted by adamantium
    I'm going to type this slowly so that you folk can follow along.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    I agree with you about the internet, it's probably here to stay.

Registered User OneTrack is on a distinguished road OneTrack's Avatar
    Bike
    2015 FZ07
    A BC building inspector will pass that no problem.

Wanderer of the Wastes DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
    Also please don't interfere with his process, this needs to happen organically. If you start to help him by teaching him how a rebar, concrete and a level work the work will lose its authenticity.
    Believe me, I have no intention to interject. I want to see this take form, it's border-line art!

But initially he said "3 days, tops".

Today is day 3.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Man... You got to talk to him, that's cruel.. Karma will not like you for this
    Last edited by silverD; 03-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

corner worker solo soldier is on a distinguished road solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    Well if he is covering it with a tarp, no issues till it snows, in which case you hope the tarp rips.
    There is a thing called snow load, something that is more talked about when it comes to ordering truss's or engineering them.
    The snow load in your area maybe very low, I would guess maybe 6 inches max, ever.
    Now not to knock some incredible work...lol
    It may not hold up to a large wind, depending that is, on the exterior sheeting and how it is fastened to the structure.
    So exactly where is your imported landlord from?
    Now just also guessing here, that the above structure, is a none conforming structure, meaning no building permit, even though it is a wood foundation, it may need a building permit because of its size. Another thing that has to be considered in that case is that there are also set backs from property lines even with garden sheds.

It is very strange that a landlord would even consider constructing something illegally, (that being dependant on local district laws), if he was to say, sure go ahead and park your bike in there, proper insurance on his part would have to be in order, in which case for him to gain proper insurance, he would also have to build a building under a permit that has a completion signature from a government inspector from the local area office.
    I personally wouldn't go as far as calling the local office on him, to me, what people do on their land should be their business.
    Please keep us informed or at least me, I love seeing contraptions with fail written all over them...lol
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

license to chill frontside5 is on a distinguished road frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Looking that this just gave me the best laugh I had all week. Thanks. That thing deserves to be shot and set on fire.

Smile. :) 243Pete is on a distinguished road 243Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Oohh I am tagging this tread for interest now.

BannedSpammer malamikigo is on a distinguished road malamikigo's Avatar
    Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    hahaha. I can appreciate this.

just having fun sushigrl is on a distinguished road sushigrl's Avatar
    Bike
    not red
    lol i was just watching couple of "pro" guys doing patio work. picked nice/easy 2 colour pattern and started at one end. after having completed i would say 30% they switched to the other end and proceeded to close the gap. even set up strings to align things. by the time they had all but last 2 or so feel done (right in the main focal area) the pattern was off by i would say 3 or 4 inches lol i could see that coming two days earlier.

Registered User swampdonkey25 is on a distinguished road swampdonkey25's Avatar
    Bike
    92 gsxr750w/ 06 honda 919
    I am all over this thread lol

oldskool suzuki rules maggotbreath is on a distinguished road maggotbreath's Avatar
    Bike
    237 HP 86GSXR11 Turbo Streetfighter, 84 GS1150EFE, 73GT750 in pieces. XN85, GS250, GS450, BSA500X2, BSA650, XT350
    All kinds of awesome times at least 10!!!

Moderator CoolDaddyGroove is on a distinguished road CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Ninja 1000
    Thank you.........you made my week
    Ease into it, you don't want a tear.
    - SSBlade May 2014

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    I call bullshit. Only a woman could make such a mess with construction materials and a hammer.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Ride Solo GSP is on a distinguished road GSP's Avatar
    Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Well, if he's from North Korea, we'd be able to sleep better at night.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

+ Reply to Thread