BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Kaos helmet

25K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  bubbadaytona 
#1 ·
What is this new carbon fibre helmet from Kaos, I saw it today at modern motorcycling. It literally feels weightless, i was twirling it around with a finger. Its only 300$ at that. I find it strange that the other companies are selling carbon fibres for 1000 and these guys are selling it for 300. Does anyone know anything about the Kaos company?

#2 ·
I bought the helmet because it was so light and it comes with both dark and clear visors. The ratchet style strap is quick, you can take it on and off with gloves.

What I didn't like, was the liner pulled out at the brow, it literally falls down while riding. The visor has no lock and it catches the wind when you shoulder check, and if your visor buffets in the wind it chatters.

I wore it twice and sold it to a buddy who glued the head liner up and rides a Harley nice and slow with a big screen he doesn't have to worry about the buffeting.

Love how light it is though.....can't say enough, and the liner is some faux suede which is really smooth.

#5 ·
I love my Arais they ALWAYS fit, I can buy online and NEVER worry about fit they are always true. Bought a new helmet at the start of last season...$399 Arai Corsair V solid colour no one in the lower mainland could even come close to the pricing. Cheapest one I found here $699...

#8 ·
Competion Accessories, they won't ship to Canada but they're prices are the best I've found. Like most you need to scour the site often. I purchased it on a blowout price limited colours but so what.

The last time I crashed I'm pretty sure it wasn't the colour or lack of the latest graphics that saved my skull it was a good fitting quality helmet that did it's job.

http://www.compacc.com/

Here's the link for their latest closeout;

http://www.compacc.com/p/Bell-RS-1-RSD-Flash-Helmets-1

Tempted to pick one up also...if you do decide to purchase you must phone the customer service as they won't accept a Canadian Visa on the site but will take it over the phone.

#9 ·
Picked one up for my youngest, who got his 7L/8L last week on his 16th B-day.

It appears to be excellent value for the money. As for safety, it has ECE20.05 certification - which I prefer.

It's comfy and has a good eye-port opening, as well as being extremely light. Looks bitchin' too. But as I haven't road-tested it (still recovering from an injury), I can't really form an opinion yet.

The current ones are apparently 2nd Generation, with fixes for the liner and visor issues that PeeWee mentioned.

#16 ·
CoolDaddyGroove has owned more helmets than I think anyone on here. I also agree with his sentiments. I saw them, saw the construction/liner/etc and thought the same thing. Of course, I'm no expert. I've only really gone through 9 or 10 helmets over the years. I've had KBC, HJC, Shoei, M2R, Icon, Bell, and a few other "throw away" brands that were less than $150 per. I'll stick with Shoei or AGV from now on.

#19 ·
Heh, heh: Kaos is imported by Full Bore, the Canadian distributors for Arai (amongst others)...

... so I somehow doubt that the ECE certification is fake. I trust my and my kids' brains to that standard over Snell (and especially DOT) any day.

So despite the FUD flying around here -- for any riders on a budget, I recommend checking out the Kaos and comparing to other "entry-level-priced" lids. We looked at and tried over a dozen. For $250, this was a clear winner.

#20 ·
Had one and tested it and while the helmet visor was basically ripped off as with most helmets from the impact I had Only a minor concussion from a impact that scraped the shit outa one side and fractured the other side we are talking a 25/30mph with gravel, testing both sides lol .Weather the helmet is designed to break up like that im not to sure But energy Absorption is important . So it did its job for a goodprice love the light weight as like alot of riders I get pains in my neck and back at times and the styling fits my gear it is as quiet as my 1100 and almost as plush . Spring will bring a new lid not sure which one for how much definitely trying on the SR1 for size and a few others.

#23 ·
I've had one for about a year now, 1st gen. As quiet as any other helmet but the construction is poor in terms of the nose shield, chin shield and rubber gasket around the visor hole. The nose and chin shields flew off while riding. The rubber gasket shrunk in the sun on a long day ride in the summer and I had to glue it in. Parts to replace these are not available. I hear that the 2nd gen has resolved these issues.

I love riding with it, comfortable, super light and genuinely ECE approved. I've owned a lot of helmets and need something that will do its job once. As a disposable piece of gear that I replace every 3 years max, this is a great deal and good value without compromising safety or comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.