Help me with buying new tires!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me with buying new tires!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2014 S1000RR

Help me with buying new tires!

Hey riders, Ive got a 2007 Yamaha R6 and just got a nail in my back tire. I heard patching the outside isn't a good idea and the T patch from inside is pretty expensive. So I'm looking to get new tires. Im looking for the best longevity and good grip. I dont track this bike, but I'm pretty aggressive one the street, please name some tires for good grip in the corners and long lasting kilometres out of them. Mostly concerned about the longevity and grip. How many kms have you guys had out of your tires? And also whats the difference between the 180 and 190 rear??. Thanks!
    Last edited by 07 Yamaha R6; 03-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Resident Contrarian Array PoCoRider's Avatar
    Bike
    09 ZX6R
    Google. There have been numerous threads on tires on this forum, let alone the 100's of others.

Usual answer: PR3's, done.

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Best answer. Q2's. done.
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    2003 fz-1
    Grip is usually inverse to longevity as soft rubber wears quickly, try michelin pilot road 3 , hard in the center for mileage with soft edges for cornering grip.

You can search the site for tire threads, there have been lots over the years.

I've had good luck with Pirelli diablo rosso 2 but I only get about 5000 km to a set, so trying the angels hoping to get 8000 km plus.

Local rider swears by dunlop Q-2 as a performance tire with quick warm-up with very linear grip at all lean angles.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Pirelli Diablo. Best ever.
    The difference between you and me .........

Registered User Array GhostFlame_zx7r's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda 954RR; 2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact
    LIFES A BITCH...... Then you just do it all over again

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Facepalm. Who's up at this time trolling?

Bike
    2009 buell xb12Ss
    pilot road threes . i got 19000 km from my road 2set and am looking forward to my road three set getting me over 25000 km plus they are great in the rain and awesome grip cold.

pirelli i got 14000 km from the regular set and they took forever to warm up . pirelli diablo corsa three i got 6000 km out of and sucked until warm and when warm evaporated . . so over all i would have to go with the road three
    The cost of living has now gotten so bad that my wife is having sex with me because she can't afford batteries!

Unregistered Abuser Array Jimbo31's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Street Triple R
    2CT best ever
    2003 R6
    2007 D675
    2012 STR
    4 cylinders is one too many

Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    Maxxis... Duh

Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    Also this may be of help. If you still have the nail, coat it in fiberglass resin, then re insert into the damaged tire. It will seal up near perfectly. After all it did make the hole.

The guys at the shop looking to make a quick buck might not let you know.

corner worker Array solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    I have patched a few tires over the years, depending on how old your tires are, (usually I toss them if they are older than 2 years), as for mileage out of brand name tires? That all depends on really exactly how hard you ride? In a lot of cases, traction in the corners has a lot more to do with suspension setup, throttle control and rider position on the bike for just the basic's. An experienced rider that knows his bike and what it does with given surfaces, can just about max out what the tires themselves will allow on a familiar road or track surface.

Since riding on the street has so many more variables with road surface's, there really isn't a common do all tire when it comes to sportbikes, I can recommend for traction almost from the get go, that Pirelli has to be about the best, as for mileage? That is a more of a give and take, but would be my choice for short quick burns.
    Now for the 180 190 debate, I have actually tried that! Just do yourself a favor and stick to a 180, the 190 is for a wider rim, even with less air pressure in the rear, the profile of the tire will be a little too steep when the 190 is mounted on the narrower rim. I'm not saying that it won't work, it just didn't do anything for me when it came to a performance improvement.

Guessing that your asking the question about tires? Put on what you can afford, if they hold up and do what you want, to your expectations, then you have found what you like, till you actually go through a couple dozen sets of tires, its a shot in the dark.
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Registered User Array maverick0716's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR 954RR
    For what it's worth the Pilot Power 3 is supposed to have 20% more treadlife than the Pilot Power 2CT. I have about 500 kms on mine and they seem to grip really good though I haven't pushed them too hard.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Personally, I would go for the best rain plus milage tire. PR3's are a good choice. You might not choose to go out the door when it's raining but that doesn't mean the sky won't open during a long ride or tour. However, I'm a senior so my opinion will be much different than the "chimney knome".
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    You cannot have "Longevity and grip" as equal priorities. MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Pick one.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!