Anyone tried "Bulletproof Coffee" ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried "Bulletproof Coffee" ?

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none

Anyone tried "Bulletproof Coffee" ?

An old co-worker has been pushing this "Bulletproof coffee" last few weeks - says he loves it, has great results, etc. etc.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/

I can't help but see this as snake oil. A bunch of unsubstantiated "scientific" claims, complete bullshit in the author's bio (see "About Dave Asprey" - bottom right corner), etc.

But as a coffee addict, I am curious.

Anyone try it?
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Not yet! It is tough to find the Irish butter you need for it. I've been to several places and came up with nothing so far. If someone knows where to get it I'd like to try it.

It's not complete bullshit either. It's whole, quality ingredients. The fat content regulates your blood sugar level which is why you won't feel hungry. The muscle growth claim would only apply if you eat like garbage most of the time and switched to a healthy diet.
    Last edited by elevation; 04-19-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Bike
    FS: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 - 24,000 KM
    Yah I've tried it just not with the Irish butter. I used some organic unsalted butter instead. I've found this combination of coffee and butter gets you really wired.

You can find the Irish butter at Birch Bay market off I5

Bike
    I wish.
    Costco in the US apparently has said butter.

There's an interesting Joe Rogan podcast on this subject with the inventor of it. Take some of what he says with a grain of salt.. on subsequent podcasts Joe & Brian mention that he left something out.. he takes something else in the morning that is natures equivalent of MDMA or something that increases his metabolic rates. I'm not sure what to believe!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26177235

You can find it on iTunes as well. (ep 275).

Some facts from the show:

- this guy paid some center in LA to 'increase his IQ' by blasting himself with weird sounds and waves for 4 days
    - salt is apparently not terrible for you.. just have to take the right stuff
    - butter/coffee in the morning kickstarts your metablism
    - this guy sat around doing no cardio or workouts and was overweight and still ate shitty food and lost weight somehow? (there's more details here but I forget them).
    - this dude is nuts.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    none
    I listened to that Joe Rogan podcast... well, the 50 or so minutes I could stand. Ugh.

This is all the info my coworker had sent through to me:

for coffee, you want single origin coffee, preferably grown over 5000 ft, that has been water processed, is organic blah blah blah. there's a couple of locals that fit the bill, the one i'm going with at the moment is http://www.saltspringcoffee.com/product/peru/ salt spring has 2 varieties that fit the bill but the peru one is my fave. there's another brand that's good but i forget its name, i'll pass it on next time

MCT oil you can get at most good health/fitness/vitamin type stores - its centrifuged coconut oil, which makes it 20x stronger; it has no taste though, its just oily.

Most importantly, grass fed organic butter. you're shit outta luck in vancouver for grass fed butter, if you cross the border you should get kerrygold butter at traderjoes or something. best we can do here is a brand called Ancestre, they have an organic unsalted product that is mostly grass fed, but its still not the same.

so you get 500ml coffee, 30 ml mct, 2 tablespoons butter (or more) and blend it up and taht's breakfast - tastiest coffee i've ever had, will kill your appetite until the afternoon, and will seriously keep you awake and on the ball for hours, there's something about the good butter molecules bonding with the caffeine better or some such, and the mct oil is great for brain activities etc. also proper grass fed butter is a Very Good Thing, not like normal butter - i dunno, the science side of it is a bit beyond me but its all there if you want to research. there's a whole diet and stuff behind it, the coffee is step 1 but i wish i'd tried it ages ago, i noticed a change from day 1 (oh but maybe start with a bit less mct oil, maybe about half, 15ml or so - it can be a bit harsh until your system gets used to it)

you really should listen to the podcast if you're interested - http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcast...y-brian-redban -

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Good coffee shops have the "roasted on date" on the package (jj bean, origins, 49th parallel, artigiano, etc). Get stuff that is no more than two weeks old. The coffee doesn't need to be organic as long as you are not going for the mass produced stuff.

- this guy sat around doing no cardio or workouts and was overweight and still ate shitty food and lost weight somehow? (there's more details here but I forget them).
    Weight loss is 90% diet 10% exercise for the easiest, most efficient way to lose weight. Keep away from the carbs and sugar. Eat mostly protein and fat. So that includes bacon!

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Keep away from the carbs and sugar. Eat mostly protein and fat. So that includes bacon!

*sigh*

when will this internet myth go away?

nothing wrong with carbs/sugar per sey, it's more dependent on the source and quantity.

yes, get rid of the refined/processed grains (white flour) and processed sugar in any form (glucose, fructose, high-fructose corn syrun, corn syrup, brown sugar, sugar, confectioner's sugar, etc, etc). generally, foods that our bodies will digest quickly into glucose should be avoided. controlling your weight is really about controlling hormonal response wrt to insulin and the main driver for insulin is too much glucose in the bloodstream.

want the odd bite/taste of cake/pie/chocolate/doughnuts/chips/alcohol/ice cream etc? enjoy it, just not all the time and not in large quantities.

ps - any hyped food "routine" or supplement is just nonsense as it only gives you temporary results. the key is comitting to lifestyle choices you can stick with over the long haul.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Resident Contrarian Array PoCoRider's Avatar
    Bike
    09 ZX6R
    Friend of mine used it on recommendation from the JRE. He noticed that the coffee went further, and he could reduce his intake per day considerably while maintaining same amount of wakefulness. Take that as you will.

I will say, even if the side effects aren't real, it's damned delicious coffee.

Bike
    I wish.
    I was listening to another podcast and they got some health nut on talking about how terrible things have gotten over the last ~50 years with how we consume food. We didn't have the obesity issues we have today even with sugar and what not.. it's, as syncro says, all about the refined stuff and processed stuff. Remove those 2 from your diet and be moderately active and away you go!
    BCSB- Administrator

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Admittedly, I'm a bit of a JRE fanboi, but he's usually pretty on the ball with the claim that he won't push shit he doesn't personally find benefit from himself. I've tried a couple of the onnit products (alphabrain, new mood), and recently bulletproof coffee. Again, the butter is a 'critical' ingredient here, and can be difficult to track down, but any grass-fed organic seems to work well enough. If you have enough body awareness to notice the subtleties of effects of what you ingest, or have ever just felt 'off' from drinking regular coffee ( I now notice the 'toxic' effect of 'bad' coffee quite easily), it's certainly worth a try - and certainly leaps and bounds better than a 'good day' with the invariable quality of tim hortons or starbucks shite. I'm actually up for another order of A.B. and BPC myself.... no regrets.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    My friend just moved from Vancouver to NYC and brought me all the stuff he had left in his kitchen. He's crazy about organic everything, so I just went and checked what the butter is, and sure enough, it's Kerrygold grass-fed Irish butter. I can assume he got it at Whole Foods or Capers or somesuch thing. I'm pretty sure even my local Save-On has it, but it's not with the other butter, it's in a special "natural foods" section of the refrigerated aisle.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    My friend just moved from Vancouver to NYC and brought me all the stuff he had left in his kitchen. He's crazy about organic everything, so I just went and checked what the butter is, and sure enough, it's Kerrygold grass-fed Irish butter. I can assume he got it at Whole Foods or Capers or somesuch thing. I'm pretty sure even my local Save-On has it, but it's not with the other butter, it's in a special "natural foods" section of the refrigerated aisle.
    http://kerrygoldusa.com/where-to-buy/

Where To Buy – US and Canada

In the United States, you don’t have to jump across the pond to get your hands on Kerrygold Irish Cheese and Butter made with grass-fed cow’s milk. Just click the button below and then enter your US state or zip code for a list of local grocery stores, delis or gourmet shops that carry our delicious Irish cheese and butter.

In Canada, you can find all-natural Kerrygold Cheeses at the following retailers: Costco, Whole Foods, Safeway, Metro, Longos, Loblaws, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Overwaitea, Calgary Co-op and Quality Foods. Unfortunately, due to import restrictions we cannot currently sell our grass-fed Kerrygold Butter in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    Weird. He must have gotten in locally because he hadn't gone to the states in a while... and it's definitely the stuff I have. Just checked again: Unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter. Fo sho.
    I'll ask him tomorrow.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    Weird. He must have gotten in locally because he hadn't gone to the states in a while... and it's definitely the stuff I have. Just checked again: Unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter. Fo sho.
    I'll ask him tomorrow.
    I think the important part is whether or not the butter you have is grass fed.

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    I tried to take a pic but my upload won't work and I'm too lazy to host it somewhere else. It's definitely grass-fed.