think you smart ?

Thread: think you smart ?

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    none at the moment

think you smart ?

3 men go into a motel. The desk clerk said the room was $30,
    so each man paid $10 and went to the room. A while later, the desk clerk realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys room with $5. On the way, the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly between 3 men, so he gave each man $1 and kept the other $2 for himself. This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27. Add to that the $2 the bellboy kept and the total is $29. Where is the
    other dollar ?
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

'04 R1 - You are mine! Array FloMan's Avatar
    Yes please! Oh! That wasn't a question?
    You have to put linguistic influences aside in order to solve this one. I think that the problem is that you are being missled by the word add when it comes to the $2 that the bell boy kept
    You shouldn't add the $2 but rather deduct it from $27 which the men ended up paying. If you do that the remaining value is $25 which is what the room costs.

If you break it down from a different angle, and try to locate all the money that has changed hands you have this:

Men are at -27
    Motel is at +25
    Bell boy is at +2
    zero value ....which proves the mathemtical acquracy of this reversed calculation
    “Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko.”
    -John Loeffler

“The truth will set you free, but first it will make you sick.”

North Delta
    2007 DRZ400SM
    Yeah, the problem is in the line "Add to that the $2" because if you view the Motel and the Bellboy as the same body, the hotel/bellboy have $27 (25+2) and the men have spent $27 (3x9) so there's an even money exchange.
    Blah, blah, blah . . .

Honda NC19
    Hahaha... I remember solving this riddle for my friend back in high school.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

none, till the boys are older
    Stop it...brain hurt
    "...than I'll be done and we can dance.."

Twins Are Better Array IcemanRR's Avatar
    1998 TLR
    the bell boy should have been honest and given back the 1.66 for each guy... thrown a penny in the well and gotten on with his day. he shouldnt have expected a tip at such a cheap hotel anyways, and besides the front desk guy made a mistake, which would have pissed me off enough to tell the bell boy to pound sand!