Where do you stop when there is another bike in front of you?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stop when there is another bike in front of you?

Bike
    04 SV650

Where do you stop when there is another bike in front of you?

Today while I was out riding, another rider came out of gas station in front of me, and stopped at the red light for us. He was in the lane position 1 while I was in 3. I stopped behind him in 3 (staggered formation), and he was looking as almost expecting I would pull up next to him.

If I am riding with someone I know I would have stopped next to him/her, but since I dont know this dude I wanted to see, do you usually pull up next to another rider at the traffic light/stop sign, or do you just stop staggered behind him like I did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array 105mmgunner's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSXR - Still love her!!
    staggered

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 R6
    I would stop beside, I mean as long as you aren't elbow to elbow I don't see a problem. Just make sure you let him get ahead of you before you take off just incase either one of you is a wobbler lol.

Bike
    nine.
    If it's a sportbike Ill normally pull up beside..let them leave first. If it's a harley, about a car length back staggered

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    My experience has been that other riders will pull up in position 3 on me, I have been doing the same if I come up to another rider. Since I take it slow (the .00001% who doesn't actively break the sound barrier?) I tell them to take off first, no sense holding them up or having them fly by me and causing any incidents. Oh, and staggered by about a foot.

As others have said, 1 car length back and staggered for Harleys
    Last edited by MrDsylexia; 05-18-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    If they were on 650 v-stroms we could all just conclude they were weetarded.

Bike
    Yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    Today while I was out riding, another rider came out of gas station in front of me, and stopped at the red light for us. He was in the lane position 1 while I was in 3. I stopped behind him in 3 (staggered formation), and he was looking as almost expecting I would pull up next to him.

If I am riding with someone I know I would have stopped next to him/her, but since I dont know this dude I wanted to see, do you usually pull up next to another rider at the traffic light/stop sign, or do you just stop staggered behind him like I did.

Why must anyone wanting to inhale other bike's exhaust and or endure unnecessary noise from straight pipes when they don't have to. If there're enough room, just pull right up and give the rider next to you a biker's nod. Most riders will acknowledge your presence and some odd one perhaps, with a carrot up his/her ass will ignore you, so what! When pulling away simply ease up the throttle and stay in your lane.

Bike
    2015 Ninja 300 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post

I usually do what you did, overlap a bit but not right beside. Keeps it clear who's going first, and some guys may not want you crowding their "personal space".

Usually if unknown rider wants to say hi, they'll turn and then I'll pull up a bit.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Untill you've had some random pull up beside you , then fucking fall over trying to chat or some shit and nearly knock you over, you'll want them staggered and the fuck back and away from you.

Only my close riding buddies roll up with me.

Bike
    BMW R1150 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Untill you've had some random pull up beside you , then fucking fall over trying to chat or some shit and nearly knock you over, you'll want them staggered and the fuck back and away from you.

Only my close riding buddies roll up with me.

Agreed.

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    I generally pull up to people, nod & say hello. Never had anyone fall into me.

Must be PeeWee's magnetic personality...

Bike
    Yamaha
    Wow! better yet, might as well make a few cue cards while out riding. One would said," Sorry, but Am I in your space?" Lol. I would personally ride with anyone with this kind of fear and show him/her how it's done over and over and over and over again. If you're comfortable sitting beside another person on the bus, why then so much fear of pulling up beside another rider at a stop? Sometimes fear can be so paralyzing that it keeps us from living our life to the fullest. Perhaps, I'm at the age where I'm not easily intimidated and or simply seeing things with a different perspective. Nevertheless, in my own riding experiences I have never encountered any problem when sharing the road with another rider. Good luck OP!

Bike
    nine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckyll View Post
    I generally pull up to people, nod & say hello. Never had anyone fall into me.

Must be PeeWee's magnetic personality...
    x2 I could care less if someone pulls up beside me, I'll say hey and keep goin.
    If your worried someones gonna fall into you, maybe make sure your in position 1, instead of 2

Bike
    04 SV650
    Yeah, I wouldnt want to pull up next to Harley either. Although I did have few of them wave at me, even though I am not riding anything that resembles a Harley, and I had my power ranger suit on too. My mind was blown when that happened.

I was more curious if there was some sort of unwritten rule like thou shall not invade my personal space so fuck off. I would be more worried about me or other person falling over in a failed attempt of communication as PeeWee mentioned, then if someone doesnt acknowledge me if I pull up next to him/her

Registered User Array crazyshannon's Avatar
    Bike
    04 R1, 11 FE570, 92 EX250, 98 YZ125, 07 TM85, 05 VStrom 1000
    I pull up beside em ... if it's a wide touring bike I give it a bit more space.

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    I'll pull up next to someone if I get the 'vibe' that they're keen to talk about how we're both awesome cause we're on motorcycles.

I generally prefer people don't pull up next to me cause it's awkward as fuck making forced small-talk that gets cut off when the light turns green.