Thread: Age

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Fookin Prawn Array
    Gold wing...pffft Ken Daniels on the island is older, rides all year round, ZX14 in season bike, KLR winter bike. You can find him doing the Renfrew loop several times a week.

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Rawdonflyer's dad is 87, raced in the Isle of Mann TT in the fifites; still rides regularily.
    I define Hell as having to ride back and forth from Blaine to Tijuana on I - 5 in perpetuity.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    It doesn't matter what you ride, if you're riding at 80+ great for you, I can only hope to be doing the same.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    Honda, Royal Enfield, Suzuki TS90, Kawasaki W650, Yamaha (2)

A lot of how long you can continue riding has to do with your health. I'm 73, own a few bikes and try and ride every day but it's getting tougher with my health issues which seem to keep piling up. I ride with guys in there 70s and 80s many who shouldn't be riding, we have to know when to quit......or drive a car.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR
    Quote Originally Posted by feliz View Post
    A lot of how long you can continue riding has to do with your health. I'm 73, own a few bikes and try and ride every day but it's getting tougher with my health issues which seem to keep piling up. I ride with guys in there 70s and 80s many who shouldn't be riding, we have to know when to quit......or drive a car.
    By all means, quit riding if you feel you may be a danger to yourself. But to migrate to the car, where you may endanger others, is not the answer.

I had a hard time convincing my father to give up his car. He gave the usual argument about loosing his freedom. The counter argument, was someone, possibly him, loosing his life or being catastrophically injured for life. Or he gets sued beyond his ICBC coverage and looses everything that he ever worked for.

If your skills are in doubt, take a bus, call a cab, a friend or a family member.

Remember, the life that you save may be mine.
    SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)

Bike
    Honda, Royal Enfield, Suzuki TS90, Kawasaki W650, Yamaha (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Morrow View Post
    By all means, quit riding if you feel you may be a danger to yourself. But to migrate to the car, where you may endanger others, is not the answer.

I had a hard time convincing my father to give up his car. He gave the usual argument about loosing his freedom. The counter argument, was someone, possibly him, loosing his life or being catastrophically injured for life. Or he gets sued beyond his ICBC coverage and looses everything that he ever worked for.

If your skills are in doubt, take a bus, call a cab, a friend or a family member.

Remember, the life that you save may be mine.
    I didn't word that right........I meant give up your bike or car when it's appropriate. I agree with you!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    It doesn't matter what you ride, if you're riding at 80+ great for you, I can only hope to be doing the same.
    What the hell, I was just about to say "Hey look at Silver D, doing it at 85 on his Veradero."...

My bad.

:P

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    What the hell, I was just about to say "Hey look at Silver D, doing it at 85 on his Veradero."...

My bad.

:P
    That's Mr. SilverD to you sonny.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    I would say that a 70 year old that is still riding a bike, but finding it difficult due to medical issues, is more than capable of safely driving a car. Remember, most "medical issues" that a relatively fit 70 year old has who is still riding motorcycles will be more to do with physical issues than mental issues. I'll be 67 in October, and the only "medical issue" I have that is worth mentioning is a slightly unpredictable left leg that was left with some nerve damage after lower back surgery in 2009. I still feel confident and competent riding my bike, and hope to keep doing so for many more years.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Man....I'm gonna be so fucked when I reach that age hahahaha.....42 tomorrow and I feel it in my bones after playing hard for the day.
    I play dodge ball two nights a week, softball, and just started golf lessons and will be playing more regular with my wife, brother and nephews. Gotta stay active.

Bike
    1946 indian chiefXX
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    I would say that a 70 year old that is still riding a bike, but finding it difficult due to medical issues, is more than capable of safely driving a car. Remember, most "medical issues" that a relatively fit 70 year old has who is still riding motorcycles will be more to do with physical issues than mental issues. I'll be 67 in October, and the only "medical issue" I have that is worth mentioning is a slightly unpredictable left leg that was left with some nerve damage after lower back surgery in 2009. I still feel confident and competent riding my bike, and hope to keep doing so for many more years.
    actually ain't it time for the "R" word, oldzheimer ... looking forward to june1

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    actually ain't it time for the "R" word, oldzheimer ... looking forward to june1
    Yeah, if they let me out of the home. Is Langley left or right out of Richmond? <g>
    One other aspect of "aging", of course, is the necessity of meds. I doubt that there's many riders over 50, regardless of their fitness, who aren't packing pain killers of some sort on their rides. I find that Tylenol is safer than Advil. Advil gives me wings.

Bike
    2003 fz-1
    It is insidious how Med's creep into your life, some guys pre-medicate if their planning a long day, have their maintenance meds for the ride and then post ride regime.

It un-nerves me when you see a guy popping 2 blue and a couple white, then scrapping the pegs in the twisties, yes there is skill and experience but the judgement as to why their taking the chances are effected by the med's.

Lot's of us are on blood thinners (aspirin therapy), so a injury that would not effect a young man can be a stroke or internal bleed, this a risk if you crash, fact of life I accept for the enjoyment of being on 2 wheels.

Asked at Squamish what I had lost with age by a 23 year old rider, I replied some endurance and night vision, some riding mates that regularly pushed their luck dead or crippled. But the burgers and hot coffee taste just as good.

The company of rider's, sunny day's a fun motorcycle hasn't diminished over the three and a half decades since I was your age.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    and just started playing more regular with my wife, brother and nephews.
    I know your wife was mentioning she'd like a little more playtime with you when I saw her last, but dude... that sounds pretty Alabama inbred to me there boy.