Exhausts
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhausts

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2013 Ninja 300 SE

Exhausts

I'm starting to buy all my gear and whatever accessories I need for my motorcycle. i was looking at after market exhaust but I was wondering what is the legality of them. I heard the limit is 91db for a motorcycle exhaust but I have no source or confirmation. Is the yoshimura r-77 legal with or without the silencer?
    Also what are some good brands for exhausts. I have no idea.

Thanks! Got a brand new ninja 300 that I'll post pics of when I pick it up after my msa course.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Fookin Prawn Array
    Spend money on advanced rider training/track days instead of blowing a grand or more on an exhaust that isn't going to do anything for you.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    As long as you leave in the DB or silencer you'll be fine. If you must ride around without it, you could get a ticket.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    Spend money on advanced rider training/track days instead of blowing a grand or more on an exhaust that isn't going to do anything for you.
    If this is your first bike and you are new to riding. FrostyFire is 100% correct.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    If this is your first bike and you are new to riding. FrostyFire is 100% correct.
    Three years ago, After 27 years of riding,
    I took the Advance Rider Training and the Racer training,
    Even after all these years, I'm still learning
    Money well spent

My view on exhausts,
    it is for cosmetic purpose only.
    If you want to lose 7 lbs off your bike, go on a small week long diet
    or if you want more horsepower, get a bigger bike.

Now, not sure about the Ninja 300. but if they have the same poor front suspension as the Ninja 250r, get that upgraded.
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 06-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Pretty much any aftermarket exhaust (without the db killer/baffles/silencer insert) will be illegal. Many put them on their bikes, but it's really a role of the dice. If you don't mind getting a ticket and then requiring to get your bike modified back to stock (or reinsert the db killer) and then having to go for a vehicle inspection (illegal to ride without VI) then go for it.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2013 Ninja 300 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    Exhausts sound cool xD. I can get advanced rider training and an exhaust, money isn't that big of an issue.

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
    Exhausts sound cool xD. I can get advanced rider training and an exhaust, money isn't that big of an issue.
    Once you're advanced enough go buy a bike that sounds cool stock...I'll be happy to demo the exhaust note on mine for reference .

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2009 GSX-R 750
    ninja 300? I wouldn't even bother with a slip on exhaust on that bike. you can use that money for Better gear that looks more sexy than a slip on if that's your goal in cosmetic improvements.

New kid on the block Array ripped035's Avatar
    Bike
    N/A
    Honestly, don't spend any money on modding your ninja unless you know you are going to be keeping it for a long time. After a while, you are going to get bored with the 300 and want to get something bigger. Let me tell you, you are not going to be able to recoup how much you paid for the exhaust or any other mod for that matter because most noobs want stock bikes that haven't been abused (yeah right) and mods are a sign that the owner would most likely race them and stuff. Either buy better gear, take an advanced riding course or wait till your next bike. I know you want the bike to sound nice in front of your friends and stuff, but it's not worth it.
    Last edited by ripped035; 06-03-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Fookin Prawn Array
    I agree, ride the 300 for a year, upgrade to a 600 then mod that.

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki ER6n
    Take the amount you were thinking of spending on your exhaust and go ride it instead... $500 worth of gas through your bike will make you a lot better rider than a chunk of titanium hanging below you.
    Of course if you're young, and out drinking, whoring, and toking till all hours on a Saturday nite, forget about it.

Bike
    Honda
    These companies make some really good exhaust. Akrapovic, Yoshimura, leo vince.

My best advice would be to look these up on youtube and see which exhaust sounds the best to you and go with that.

I personally like Akrapovic the most but its a little pricey compared to the rest. Also two brothers a good one.

Registered User Array KickMeInTheJunk's Avatar
    Bike
    Streetfighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    Three years ago, After 27 years of riding,
    My view on exhausts,
    it is for cosmetic purpose only.
    If you want to lose 7 lbs off your bike, go on a small week long diet
    or if you want more horsepower, get a bigger bike.
    Unless your bike starts with a 'D' and ends in 'ucati'... Then an exhaust is one key (of many) to the damn thing running right...

But ya, save your cash, a small bike with a loud pipe is probably one of the most annoying things in the world. By better gear or more training. Or put it in the bank and use it toward a bigger bike when you're ready.

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    Some good advice in this thread.

Skills before bike mods.

If you must have an exhaust, look at it as a pure expense and don't expect to recoup that money when you sell the bike. Again, chances are you'll ride that bike for the first year or so (I'd suggest keeping it for 1 season or 10,000 km, whichever comes _last_ ).

Most importantly, ride safe and ride often.