BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Exhausts

5K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  greenboy 
#1 ·
I'm starting to buy all my gear and whatever accessories I need for my motorcycle. i was looking at after market exhaust but I was wondering what is the legality of them. I heard the limit is 91db for a motorcycle exhaust but I have no source or confirmation. Is the yoshimura r-77 legal with or without the silencer?
Also what are some good brands for exhausts. I have no idea.

Thanks! Got a brand new ninja 300 that I'll post pics of when I pick it up after my msa course.

#6 ·
Pretty much any aftermarket exhaust (without the db killer/baffles/silencer insert) will be illegal. Many put them on their bikes, but it's really a role of the dice. If you don't mind getting a ticket and then requiring to get your bike modified back to stock (or reinsert the db killer) and then having to go for a vehicle inspection (illegal to ride without VI) then go for it.

#10 · (Edited)
Honestly, don't spend any money on modding your ninja unless you know you are going to be keeping it for a long time. After a while, you are going to get bored with the 300 and want to get something bigger. Let me tell you, you are not going to be able to recoup how much you paid for the exhaust or any other mod for that matter because most noobs want stock bikes that haven't been abused (yeah right) and mods are a sign that the owner would most likely race them and stuff. Either buy better gear, take an advanced riding course or wait till your next bike. I know you want the bike to sound nice in front of your friends and stuff, but it's not worth it.

#13 ·
These companies make some really good exhaust. Akrapovic, Yoshimura, leo vince.

My best advice would be to look these up on youtube and see which exhaust sounds the best to you and go with that.

I personally like Akrapovic the most but its a little pricey compared to the rest. Also two brothers a good one.

#15 ·
Some good advice in this thread.

Skills before bike mods. :)

If you must have an exhaust, look at it as a pure expense and don't expect to recoup that money when you sell the bike. Again, chances are you'll ride that bike for the first year or so (I'd suggest keeping it for 1 season or 10,000 km, whichever comes _last_ ).

Most importantly, ride safe and ride often.

#17 ·
Loud Pipes save deer. Mind you I rarely ride in the city... I have had deer run from me only to turn around and almost kill themselves on the bike trying to keep up that was a nice quiet rocket... many times. Save the deer.

#18 ·
As said above...don't bother modding the 300cc, unless you really want to. Ride it for a season or two, get comfortable on it and then upgrade to a 600cc.

#51 ·
What he said. Buy whatever you want if it makes you happy. The day someone else starts paying for all your stuff is the day they can start telling you what you can and cannot have. Your money, your decision.

That said, I do encourage you get good gear and tons of mileage in. As for mods, if you can bankroll it then go ahead and enjoy it exactly the way you want it.

#21 ·
I told you my :2cents , you can buy whatever you want, just don't assume you are increasing the value of your bike for future sale. Yoshimura exhausts are good, also check out Two Brothers exhaust. You thinking of a slip-on or a full system?

#22 ·
Slip-on. Don't care much for performance in a small bike like the ninja 300. If I cared about resale value I wouldn't have bought a new bike haha. I'll definitively check out Two brothers exhausts as well.

I don't feel like starting another thread so I'll ask another question, when shopping for gear what brands should I avoid? I know to avoid cheap stuff, but is there the equivalent of "dr dre beats" of motorcycle gear that I should certainly avoid?

Thanks once again!

#23 ·
Well, I can't tell you what brands to avoid, but I can tell you that you should consider buying gear from brands like Alpinestars, Teknic, Dainese, RS Taichi, Sidi. If you buy gear from any of those companies, you are pretty much good to go. For any other brands, you should at least look for CE rated armor.

#24 ·
When it comes to gear I don't know if there's a brand that makes nothing but crap. Some items won't have a CE (safety) rating. That doesn't mean they won't work but as a general rule I would avoid those. Mostly it's about fitment and styling. Touring gear is often cheaper. Flashy jackets with speed humps are often pricier.

Be sure to research a brand to see what their usual fitment is (U.S. vs euro, touring vs sport/race) and know what kind of gear you're buying (e.g. race jackets are meant to be tight and comfortable in a tuck, not upright, roomy and with a lot of pockets).

If buying leather pay attention to the thickness. Thicker is more abrasion resistant and accordingly more expensive.

#27 ·
A loud exhaust just say's LOOK at ME, and MY SMALL DICK.....Hey everyone...LOOK AT ME. Ya fucking attention whore.

Frosted Fartys bike is fooking loud with stock exhaust, 105db, so loud you have to check the tach on my bike to see if it's running. Yes...it's flaming red and he's got a small dick as well, so he's cool with it.

I'll never waste another nickel on any exhaust mods, or fender elminators, pazzos, double chrome flamed bubble screens, flush or intergrated anything. Just asking to get a VI in BC now. I just bought new tires today, best money you can spend on a bike other than gas or full synthetic oil. I also returned my two piece ICON patrol suit, yes ....the water proof stuff that's twice leaked in the mildest rains ever.

#29 · (Edited)
Dainese definitely one of the best but quite pricey. A little above the budget range of most weekend riders. Berik/Arlen ness make some damn fine suit but that brand is hard to come by in north america.

Alpinestars is probably the best compromise of quality, availability and price here. Teknic also made some excellent gear like their violator/accelerator series suits.

One of the major difference between these brands and a lot of other generic brands is their armor. Although they all advertise "CE rate" armor, not all armor is equal. Armor in Arlen Ness, Dainese, Alpinestars and Teknic is quality! where as armor in many of the generic no name brands is quite junk. You can tell the difference the second you hold the armor in hand.
Another major difference is the quality of the thread and the stitching method. Seams in cheaper no name brands would burst a lot quicker than well respected brands.

And even all leathers not the same. Japanese cow hide are a lot more robust compared to Brazilian/pakistani hide. My advice to keep things nice and simple would be to stick with the big brands and dont cheap out on gear. You'll enjoy riding a lot more knowing you are well protected for any unforeseen scenario.

#30 ·
Personal preference for most... indifference for me. If I had bought my gsxr with stock exhaust, it would still have stock exhaust. However, mine came with a yosh pipe, and it still has a yosh pipe, and I like the sound, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy that sound otherwise.

If I were you, I'd stay stock and try to get something better out of my riding dollar. But if you think your bike sounds like crap while you ride it, and you think changing that sound will give you a a better experience, go for it...

#31 ·
You can get some really good deals on Teknic gear now. They have unfortunately folded, so all the stores are having massive blowouts on their gear. Sizing may be hard to find as it is closeouts and limited, but give it a look. I like it more that A* when it comes to jackets and pants. For boots I have A* and gloves I have Held.

revzilla
STG
Motorcycle-superstore
motorcyclegear.com

As others said though, sizing and fit is main thing. Forget great prices if shit don't fit.

#36 ·
I would really like a better sound from my 650, the stock exhaust sounds like an angry lawnmower, but at 6am in the morning when I leave for work I'm actually pretty happy it's quiet at low rpm's. Has kept my neighbors from wanting to kill me.

#38 ·
^^ Hahahahhaa, man so true. I dont consider my exhaust to be extra ordinary loud but my neighbors have complained and so have the neighbors of my gf.

Night or day i push my bike a little away from the house before starting it up. But i do love the sound of the bike with my exhaust and can understand someone wanting to put a pipe on a 300. The sound of those 250 and 300 stock is pretty dead compared to bigger bikes.

At the end of the day it might sound better but nothing beats the grunt of a bigger engine.

#41 ·
At the PM track days they are the biggest offenders most of the time.

the Ninja 250 is a Parallel Twin but the Ninja 300 is a Straight Twin. I'm not sure if new pipe would be as loud as the Ninja 250. Either way it is too damn loud. I am all for a great sounding exhaust but I would rather see Harley riders keep the rep of being too damn loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.