BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Quick Question about Headsets?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Azazel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm in the GLP and have my 8L with MSA endorsement, but I'm encountering some confusion regarding the licensing restrictions. If I get an SMH-10 to listen to music while riding the highway, am I actually violating the license by using a "handsfree communication device" ? I mean, I'd just plug noise-cancelling earphones into my Ipod and get the best of both worlds (wind cancelling + music), but I understand doing so is quite illegal.

I suspect this is also out of the question for me, to which I must pfah heartily at ICBC (it gets monotonous as hell riding the Coquihalla after the first few times).

#2 ·
You're right, regular headphones are illegal.. however helmet speakers + earplugs are not (as far as I know). Doesn't really make sense to me.

THAT BEING SAID

If you are a new rider, you might be best to steer clear of music for a while. It can be a major distraction if you let it and you never know when some ding-dong on the Coq will sneak up on you and cut you off in your lane or something.

#4 ·
Not a useful post in the new rider forum.

I agree with Saskford, when starting out, just simple earplugs are probably best. Get comfortable on the bike, then deal with something else that could be a distraction.

Also, you're not actually operating the device if you turn the music on, pocket it, then start to ride. My $0.02, I'm not a lawyer :)

#6 ·
^^^ Wait...it's illegal to change your music while driving a car? I think you're mistaken.

#9 · (Edited)
I always understood that handsfeee devices, which meet the required criteria, were legal.

I thought it had something to do with having a voice calling feature or only having to press
one dedicated button, something like that. The Sena's can be connected via intercom by
pressing one button, either while riding, or at a standstill.

They can also make a phone call with 1 button press, and the balance using voice.

I think if you look up the law, and the exceptions, you may find the Sena falls within.

FYI....quick google after I typed above comments:

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/shareddocs/electronic-devices-while-driving.pdf

#18 ·
I don't disagree that new riders should focus on making sure they can ride competently before adding in distractions like music (No, I don't want to yak on the phone, that's F* retarded). I just wanted to clarify the restrictions since they are poorly worded. Cheers for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.