The movers came and took all our stuff into storage on the 18th, and we left early on the 20th. After spending the night on a blow-up air mattress, it was time to leave @ 0500 hrs. On the road, with 2 trucks, each pulling a trailer - one 25' cargo and one ATV. On our way to Castlegar, yipee!!
All was going OK until we hit Calgary, when the truck I was driving had an alternator failure - the battery charge indicator was only at 10 or so volts. I phoned my husband in the other truck and we took the first exit off Hwy 2, which was 64 St - fortunately there was a Canadian Tire store with service bays just as we came off the highway! After waiting for about 3.5 hrs, the truck was fixed up with a new alternator - we were just gratefuly that they fit us in for our emergency repair.
Back on the road again, the rain was coming down steady until we got to High River area, where the deluge was so strong that even with the wipers on full blast you could barely see the roadway. Traffic slowed way down, and some people were pulling off the roadway. We pressed on, albeit at a slower pace. Glad we did, as we found out the next day about the flooding in the area!
All the way south on Hwy 2 it was raining, and we turned west on Hwy 3. As we were driving along the river, we were grateful that the highway was well above the now broiling waters flooding out the low lying areas - it was quite the sight! People were pulled off the highway and taking pics of the Old Man river near Pincher Creek - it was a torrent of water.
As we approached Moyie Lake area, there was an area where the run-off from the hills was flowing over the rock face above the highway like a great waterfall, flooding the roadway. Signs were posted to slow down, and a LEO was on the roadway making sure the situation did not worsen for the road.
Near Sparwood, there was single lane traffic because part of the highway was washed out by the "creek" that flows beside the roadway. We didn't stop unless for fueling up, as we were afraid that we might get stuck somewhere due to flooding before getting to our destination.
We got to Castlegar around 10:30 pm, whereas we should have arrived around 5:00, but we were just glad to be off the road and safe at our destination. The next day, we saw the news of all the flooding around Calgary, High River, Sparwood, and other areas that we drove through, and realized how lucky we were to have made it out of Alberta and to the Kootenays!
The town of Castlegar is really quite a neat place, there's great little shops, cafes, a Saturday market, and lots and lots of twisty roads! We have done more driving on twisty roads in the past two days than in four years of living in Alberta!!!!! I feel like I belong here, now just have to find a place to call our home. I can hardly wait to get out on the bikes!