BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

7-27-13 S. Skajit Highway has chip seal on it

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ducrider 
#1 · (Edited)
south skajit highway from concrete to sedro-wooley has several multi-km stretches of chip rock - compact gravel and tar. I would recommend hopping down from concrete if you're heading to Winthrop and want a detour.

Aside from that.

Not really worthy of a full report: 6:45am-10:45pm 900km

Map

I met up with a friend I bought a bike from and another to head out for a loop.

Met at Timmies on sumas way.

While talking about the ST noting how nothing really goes wrong with while pushing the bikes along the border line I left the lights on killing the battery requiring a jump. I found it funny.

Clear sailing to Winthrop. The mornings are a bit cooler now and it was appreciated. From the cascade summit downhill temperatures rose from 20c to 32c. highway 97 to leavenworth saw 34-35c.

If you ever take Stevens pass and you have time take Chumstick highway and Lake Wenatchee.

There's one section that's 5 or so minutes of those 15mph switchbacks similar to duffy or stave lake loop. street view

Stevens pass had endless traffic with no breaks until we hopped off asap. The original plan was to pass by lake chaplain but there seems to be some restrictions on that route; regardless, all the roads were great except south skajit highway from concrete to sedro-wooley. There's three multi-km stretches of chip rock - compact gravel and tar. I would recommend hopping down from concrete if you're heading to Winthrop

See less See more
#2 ·
"Clear sailing to Winthrop. The mornings are a bit cooler now and it was appreciated. From the cascade summit downhill temperatures rose from 20c to 32c. highway 97 to leavenworth saw 34-35c."

I was there just 2 days before you (July 25), and the temp in Winthrop that day was 40c! Chelan was 39c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.