Fairing Repair for Small Amount of Missing Plastic

Thread: Fairing Repair for Small Amount of Missing Plastic

Registered User Array
    2006 Yamaha R6

Question Fairing Repair for Small Amount of Missing Plastic

Someone did a hit and run on my bike yesterday. They backed into it, knocked it over, pulled it back up and then left like nothing happened. I got a cracked left rear set and some scratches/grind marks. The main damage was my front upper fairing.

It cracked and a little piece broke off but I couldn't find the piece! I want to salvage this fairing. But since there's a little chunk missing what's the best way to build this up? Can i try and bridge the gap with Bondo Epoxy then sand down? Any other suggestions?

Here is a pic.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array Mechannibalism's Avatar
    east van
    '87 GPZ 400 '87 GSXR 400
    That's a tough one for a beginner. It's important to line it up properly when you clamp it (NOT like in the pic). Clamp a piece of 1/16" aluminium to the back and bend it to suit, then cut a piece ABS and glue it in. Reinforce it as explained in the other post.
    You're just a crackpot till you hit the jackpot - Wernher von Braun

Registered User Array
    Williams Lake B.C.
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    If you have comprehensive it may be worth filing a claim. The area around a headlight is a tough spot to deal with.

North Vancouver
    2008 BMW HP2S, Beta 525RR. 2012 Multi S Touring
    I've had great success with GFlex and fiberglass.

Buy Gflex, some fiberglass cloth, and some sandable filler. Sand the back of the area to be fixed and flame treat it. Use a propane torch or BBQ lighter and go over the sanded area for about 2 seconds of flame exposure. This greatly improves adhesion. Then wipe it down with rubbing alchohol. Repair the fairing on the back with 2 to 3 layers of cloth and Gflex. When dried, mix Gflex with a generous amount of the sandable filler and patch the outside. Sand the outside and then paint.

You can buy it at Martin Marine in North Vancouver.

Polyethylene (HDPE) 655 80-grit sand 400 psi tensile strength
    Polyethylene (HDPE) 655 80-grit sand, flame treat 1890 psi
    Polyethylene (HDPE) 655 Alcohol wipe, flame treat 2312 psi
    Last edited by LCPeter; 08-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer