BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Getting converted to SM help please

6K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  howattzer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Beta 2009 525RR, street legal but I have been using it for the dirt exclusively. I just found a good deal on some SM wheels for the bike. They have the right hubs and spacers.

I would like to set it up for ez off-road - on road swaps.

A few suggestions on where to buy the rest of the stuff I need would be appreciated.

I don't want to swap the sprocket and rotors so I need em. No idea if Beta mounts on the wheels are standard or specific for those items (don't have the wheels yet).

I don't think I need bigger rotors (and therefore I don't think I need caliper mod's (spacers)....?

I need a fender and shorter kick stand - again no idea...

Not sure what else I need. Tire recco's appreciated - nice balance between performance and longevity - I'm not going to be racing this bike - just bombing around.

Thanks! :)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I did. Many days later he replied. He said: "No problem , I can grab you a set" via email and dropped me. No prices, no nada on details etc. Maybe I just like a bit more customer service than he is geared up to be providing. Since then I found wheels at a very decent price. If he was interested in completing the package so would I.

#7 ·
he lied to you, there is no beta sub-forum there.

you're gonna want bigger front brakes (310 or 320)
what size sprocket is on it now? where will you be riding it?
UFO makes universal front fenders. it'll cost you like $25 for one.
is the bike sprung for your weight? where in the clickers are you for offroad?
kickstand, is the foot removable? you may be able to just hack saw it.

#11 ·
Make sure the wheels have a cush drive - save your output
shaft & transmission

You will want larger rotors on the street - street tires can
use the extra stopping power. Some HH pads too, and if
you are tossing $ at it a better fr brake master, though that
will swap less easily...

I would get a good set of fr/rr/case sliders... just in case ! :)

#12 ·
You should be able to buy a larger front brake rotor, that should come with a calliper spacer, to move your stock calliper back to fit the larger rotor. EBC makes good rotor spacer combos.
Like this, but you'll have to see if they make one for a Beta http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Supermo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aea1555f4&vxp=mtr
You do not need a larger rear rotor.
Master cylinder is something you can upgrade later, if you think you need one.
Cush drive is nice, but not something you really need. DRZs go many miles with no cush drive.

#14 ·
You should be able to buy a larger front brake rotor, that should come with a calliper spacer, to move your stock calliper back to fit the larger rotor. EBC makes good rotor spacer combos.
Like this, but you'll have to see if they make one for a Beta http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Supermo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aea1555f4&vxp=mtr
You do not need a larger rear rotor.
Master cylinder is something you can upgrade later, if you think you need one.

Cush drive is nice, but not something you really need. DRZs go many miles with no cush drive.
That is a good lead thanks. And Sushi, I have been talking to Bob, he found the deal on the wheels.

#16 ·
If you find yourself in Kamloops, I can't recommend GPMoto enough! Geoff is the man and races and sponsors a well known SM racer. Even if you're not in Kamloops it's worth the drive. http://www.gpmoto.ca/ Heads up, His shop is closed sundays and wednesdays
You're welcome

#18 ·
Good news is that its done. Bad news is that it didn't make through its first round about. Perhaps I'll remember to scrub in tires better next time. Now to get sliders (aka scratch hiders).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.