The Most Significant Motorcycle in the history of Motorcycling - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Significant Motorcycle in the history of Motorcycling

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Yeah, the original CB 750 four, all the others followed it, except the 2 stroke triples but they didn't last.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Registered User OneTrack is on a distinguished road OneTrack's Avatar
    Bike
    2015 FZ07
    What???? No Harley guys chiming in about "the best bikes in the world!!"? I've had to listen to that again all bloody weekend here in Kelowna.

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    So, I'm seeing alot of "favourite bikes" out there, but not much explanation why it was significant in the grand theme of things.

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    Yeah, the original CB 750 four, all the others followed it, except the 2 stroke triples but they didn't last.
    since we on a sportbike forum (kinda), i still think the first gsxr as it pretty much set the template for sportbikes to follow ever since.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

"im a wanker" -malamikigo

"Missing a few pieces!' Nine-and-a-half is on a distinguished road Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    So, I'm seeing alot of "favourite bikes" out there, but not much explanation why it was significant in the grand theme of things.
    I'd have to suggest:
    The VF (R) line as it was the birth place of the current perimeter style frame.
    The FZ line as it brought in 5 valve Geneisis style forward slant block.
    Gsxr family tree because they rolled out on radial tires first (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)
    No?

must have more bacon gxr jo is on a distinguished road gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    84 vf750 , 01 sv650 race bike , 06 gixxr thou race bike , 09 1198s , manigale
    i said the interceptor because i think it was the first track/road bike mass produced , and the way honda dealt with the "cam" issues was stellar
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

Registered User ssblade is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    i said cb750 because the engine paved the way for high performance inline 4's that still dominate today. without it, who knows, and it was considered a sportbike back then and they even raced a few of them....

Green stonecold is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    What was the first sport bike with TC and ABS? That's a huge step in a direction from which we will never come back from.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    2005 GSXR 1000 or the 2004 Kawasaki ZX10-R

if you wanna really talk current game changer-the original gsxr 1000 led the way for huge horsepower literbikes. blew the r1 and 929 out of the fucking water with 15-20 horse more than them in it's introductory year.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    What was the first sport bike with TC and ABS? That's a huge step in a direction from which we will never come back from.

did it come in pink? ps-the answer is less exotic than you think.

Green stonecold is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    Rouge and Cream. Just like the gladius.

Fastronaut Danke will become famous soon enough Danke will become famous soon enough Danke's Avatar
    Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Since motorcycles are still progressing you can't put a plaque on one as the most significant. Unless of course it's the first one.

In the list here the 2 from Honda. The little one that brought the masses in North America to 2-wheeled transport is for sure a milestone. And the big one that was a turn key superbike even though it may not look like one to today's riders.

Maybe if you narrow the field to the last 30 years you'll get some better feedback.

And for all the Vincent fans, checkout the Brough Superior.

"Missing a few pieces!' Nine-and-a-half is on a distinguished road Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade View Post
    if you wanna really talk current game changer-the original gsxr 1000 led the way for huge horsepower literbikes. blew the r1 and 929 out of the fucking water with 15-20 horse more than them in it's introductory year.
    Then we'd have to throw the 1992 (1?) CBR900 in there first as it set the bar for light weight and raw power. It pretty much put the 750 class on its heels with similar weight and way more HP.

But also a good point is how far back are we going?
    I think you'd have to short list the turning points in the game.
    Definetly multi fours, perimeter frames, radial tires, out board cam chains / gears, forward slant blocks, traction control?
    what else?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine-and-a-half View Post
    Then we'd have to throw the 1992 (1?) CBR900 in there first as it set the bar for light weight and raw power. It pretty much put the 750 class on its heels with similar weight and way more HP.

But also a good point is how far back are we going?
    I think you'd have to short list the turning points in the game.
    Definetly multi fours, perimeter frames, radial tires, out board cam chains / gears, forward slant blocks, traction control?
    what else?

i mentioned the 'blade already, but it did not bring raw power to the game, the literbikes of it's day had more juice(gsxr 1100, fzr1000) but were heavy pigs. awesome bike, had one with a vfr swingarm, big bore, head work, fcr carbs, ram airbox, and a full exhaust(130 at the wheel). i mentioned the '01 gsxr 1000 cuz it was an utter beast of a bike and upped the ante big time when the class was still relatively useful with 125-130 at the wheel. i remember the first one i rode, i was a bit skerred after reading all the reviews. there hasn't been that much of a gap by one single manufacturer in a long time, the current zx10 and s1000 combined recently upped the ante. i'd add the panigale but having a couple extra cc's to get the numbers shouldn't count, kinda buell-esque in a way.
    Last edited by ssblade; 08-19-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Happiness is the corner Land Roving will become famous soon enough Land Roving will become famous soon enough Land Roving's Avatar
    Bike
    Sea bee yar eff for eye.
    I think it'd have to be the Honda CB750... not only because it gave the world the prefered layout for sporty bike design, but also because it was the ultimate iteration of the CB series, which itself was hugely influential as the first large-scale series of motorcycles that introduced the public to the notion that motorcycles didn't need to A) leak oil and gas all over your garage floor, B) require maintenance before and after every ride, and C) be ridden by people that looked like they were a Marlon Brando stunt double from The Wild Ones.

But as much as I think the CB750 probably deserves the title due to its combination of a groundbreaking design and huge popularity, I would personally count the old Henderson KL as pretty significant as it had a few interesting engineering features and really showed the world why four cylinder engines work so well in motorcycles... and they are, in my opinion, some of the best looking motorcycles out there. Also, I'd stick the RC51 into my top three, as it's the last bike I can think of that was developed from the ground up as a race bike, and then sold to the public at a reasonable price. It's also the first sportbike bike that I ever really wanted.
    On the internet you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

+ Reply to Thread