Ended up buying a lemon from a dealer, what to expect now?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ended up buying a lemon from a dealer, what to expect now?

Bike
    R6

Ended up buying a lemon from a dealer, what to expect now?

I've posted a couple topics about my R6 (2000) having various problems, well today it died again on the road. Was out for a bit, then began stalling when idle, sounded really rough and started to smell like gas a lot. Then it just died, turns over but won't start.

I managed to get it back to Daytona where it died completely, I'll go talk to them on Tuesday. This is the 3rd major problem it's had since I got it about 3 months ago, I've had about 2 weeks riding time on it total.

They've been good about 'fixing' it no charge, but at this point I want to get rid of it. Obviously I have to talk to them to find out what's going to happen, whether they'll give me the value of the bike towards something new, buy it back, etc... but I'm wondering what to expect for those of you who have been through this before, or have dealt with a dealer in the past? I'm assuming that I'm kind of SOL, and it depends whether they want to keep me as a customer or not...

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by YZF; 09-01-2013 at 03:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

corner worker Array solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    A used bike is a used bike. A 2000 R6, is an antique compared to todays fuel/electronic ignition bikes.
    I don't know how much you paid for it?
    How many kilometers on it?
    Or even how hard you rode it or any one else rode it?

The smell of gas and no go? Might be an easy fix, might not?
    If your lucky they might give you 1500 trade in, and that is if the bike is mint, but in all reality, its a used bike.
    You can spend stupid amounts of money on an old bike, and the service guys will still love you, the dealership will love you either way.
    Sounds like your most likely one of their great customers that keeps coming back for more.
    Maybe you should have asked for a kiss before you bought the bike?
    Maybe learning something about mechanics in school, would have made you more prepared on what the problem might be?

Maybe a newer bike is a better way to go?
    You can get an extended warranty too!
    Let me guess? Your a BCAA member too.
    Is that an Iphone in your pocket?

The day you bought a used bike for most likely more than it was worth, you were SOL!
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650
    Solo just smashed that one out of the park. Rep

Registered User Array moeracing's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 gsxr750 track
    Carb problem, had an 02 r6, get a fi bike, much easier, and i work and rejet my own bikes, its just a pain in the ass. Dirtbikes are much easier to rejet,
    Lex talionis
    Karma will get you

Bike
    Okay, maybe I was a bit cruel?
    I just gets me a bit wound when a dealership sells a bike, and the guy stuck with it gets screwed in the end by the games that the dealership will play.
    I hate dealerships, their job is to sell bikes and make lots of money. The salesman knows usually nothing about bikes, the parts counter guys usually know even less other than what the screen tells them. And the mechanic in the back gets stuffed with all the crap he can handle, and its always his fault.
    The mechanic should be selling the bikes, the salesman should be taken out an shot, and the parts guy should go back to school and actually learn what every part is and does on a motorcycle.

I don't know those people over at Daytona, maybe their different?
    And I still think your SOL.
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Registered User Array sprinter 27's Avatar
    Bike
    Ducati-gasgas-beta-ktm
    People seem ready to jump all over a dealership who sound like they are already trying to keep the customer happy. They have already fixed over a decade old bike for free twice.
    That and nobody here knows how much was paid or even of it was on consignment!

Registered User Array cigarboat's Avatar
    Bike
    13' Street Triple 675 R.
    Hate to say it but its hard for the dealer to even know that the bike is a lemon when its used. The amount of due diligence a dealer does on a traded in bike is basically checking to see if it's stolen or if the title comes up clear.

You bought a 13 year old bike for a song compared to buying a new one. You're lucky that you are getting any service for free on it at all. My striple is still under warranty and Western Powersports has basically jerked me around since the day I bought the bike so the service you're getting is exemplary compared to what I have gotten so far even though I'm LEGALLY entitled to receive this service from them.

Bike
    R6
    Ok, thanks for the responses. I paid about $4k for the bike, I couldn't really afford something over 5k, let alone a newer R6.

To be clear, Daytona has been great thus far. They have fixed the bike twice, no questions asked and free of charge, the 2nd time well past the 2 month warranty they offer on used bikes.

What I am getting from this thread is that I'm lucky to have any service, and that basically I'm out of luck. This was what I wanted to know, basically took a gamble on a used bike and it didn't work out. This helps me discuss things further with the dealer, because I can understand their perspective better, and be better informed in my own. As a consumer I expect a dealership to do X amount of due diligence and sell something they themselves would ride, but this is incredibly naive I suppose.

Solo, I applaud you for your response, though it was a bit on the sarcastic side... still not sure about the iphone comment. Fuck me for trying to get into motorcycles without taking a mechanics course or being able to fix major problems, I suppose. Nonetheless there is some good insight there.

For anyone interested, here's a quick video I caught of the bike today before it died entirely:

Last edited by YZF; 09-01-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Bike
    One: it sounds like its starving for fuel.
    Or Two: it sounds like the choke is stuck on.
    You would have to pull a spark plug to see if its flooding or starving.
    Flooding the spark plug is wet.
    Starving the spark plug is dry.

Sarcastic is putting it mildly...
    That's me being an A. Hole.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    13 year old bike doesn't make it a lemon, just makes it a 13 year old bike.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ps, those bikes had issues with the coils. Sounds like an ignition issue to me.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by solo soldier View Post
    One: it sounds like its starving for fuel.
    Or Two: it sounds like the choke is stuck on.
    You would have to pull a spark plug to see if its flooding or starving.
    Flooding the spark plug is wet.
    Starving the spark plug is dry.

Sarcastic is putting it mildly...
    That's me being an A. Hole.
    I checked the tank and there was a good amount of fuel, I also had gone only about 50k since filling up. I'll see what Daytona says on Tuesday, but at this point I think it's time to look at something newer, as you suggest (even with a Warranty!!!1)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by YZF View Post
    I checked the tank and there was a good amount of fuel, I also had gone only about 50k since filling up. I'll see what Daytona says on Tuesday, but at this point I think it's time to look at something newer, as you suggest (even with a Warranty!!!1)

Well, I wouldn't get too wound up about the bike, I've known lots of riders that have owned the older R6's, and they all ran pretty good once the bugs were worked out.
    And 4 grand? Maybe if the bike had 5K under kilometers and was babied since new.

A full tank of fuel doesn't have much to do with it, Unless the vent is plugged and the tank is under vaccum, in which case there is no fuel getting to the carbs.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Bloo! 2000 SV650
    That's what my SV sounded like when it flooded itself. Just slowed and died, then finally wouldn't start. Something is up with the carbs I bet.

Hate to say it, but it does sound like the dealer has done a lot for you. I don't agree with the "check for liens then sell it" approach, that seems unfair. I would expect a full inspection/tune up to be done on a bike that is going to be sold used via a dealer. Otherwise, why buy through a dealer?

Good luck getting it sorted, but the lesson here is: don't buy an old used bike if you can't fix it yourself. All is not lost though. Get yourself a Haynes/Clymer manual for that sucker and start getting dirty. Carbs are simple to fix.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by solo soldier View Post
    Well, I wouldn't get too wound up about the bike, I've known lots of riders that have owned the older R6's, and they all ran pretty good once the bugs were worked out.
    And 4 grand? Maybe if the bike had 5K under kilometers and was babied since new.

A full tank of fuel doesn't have much to do with it, Unless the vent is plugged and the tank is under vaccum, in which case there is no fuel getting to the carbs.
    When I got it, the meter read 5600k. Apparently the guy who had it last insured it in 04' and then let it sit since then after dropping it a bunch of times and giving up. We'll see what they say, I think I'd have a hard time trusting it now after the continued issues...