Are dealer trade-ins ever worth it?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are dealer trade-ins ever worth it?

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R

Are dealer trade-ins ever worth it?

I'm thinking of seeing what BK will give me for my wee Ninja, it's time for an upgrade. They have a used Ninja 650 I like right now but this would be my first time not buying a bike privately, and I don't know how much (if any) negotiation is possible and what a reasonable offer is... Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    The used ninja 650 that's in there is probably PocoRider's. He just traded in his 650 there for a zx6r. If you PM him i'm sure he can tell you exactly what they're into that bike for, which will give you a more reasonable idea what you might be able to negotiate for on it.

Bike
    04 SV650
    This may be a good start for you http://www.bluebooktrader.com/values_trade-in.php

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    What are they asking for it?

Registered User Array KickMeInTheJunk's Avatar
    Bike
    Streetfighter
    Also, remember to factor in your tax savings when trading in.

Also, remember to factor in all the idiots on craigslist that make it a hassle.

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    What are they asking for it?
    They're asking $6199

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Yea that's Pocorider's old bike. Has stainless lines, frame sliders, good tires. It's been down though. But they may have fixed it. Just some light fairing scrapes in one spot remained when he traded it in.

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    This may be a good start for you http://www.bluebooktrader.com/values_trade-in.php

Well... that was humbling.

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    That's really the nub of the problem for me: what's my time worth and do I want to filter through a bunch of tools before I sell?
    If you wait to sell for much above what a dealer will pay, it may cost you a lot of time. If you sell close to what the dealer will pay it may or may not sell quickly.
    If you like the dicker game then by all means sell it yourself. If you just want the best price possible then pay Chia a commission!
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    Yea that's Pocorider's old bike. Has stainless lines, frame sliders, good tires. It's been down though. But they may have fixed it. Just some light fairing scrapes in one spot remained when he traded it in.
    My Ninja has seen some bumps too, but it has new fairings and a new front fender, frame sliders, jet kit, carbon fibre exhaust, all from, and installed by, BK. Dunno if that effects the value to the positive or the negative.

Resident Contrarian Array PoCoRider's Avatar
    Bike
    09 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    My Ninja has seen some bumps too, but it has new fairings and a new front fender, frame sliders, jet kit, carbon fibre exhaust, all from, and installed by, BK. Dunno if that effects the value to the positive or the negative.
    General rule of thumb: mods zero out on trade in or even most private sales.

It's my old bike - great bike, mechanically fine, runs well.

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    They're asking $6199
    unless it's a black and orange 2011, in which case that would most likely be my first bike. I think they've already sold that one as I haven't seen it there for a while, but just in case
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Trading in a bike is generally more about convenience, and "worth it" can be measured in a number of ways, so only you can decide.

Will you get the same amount on a trade vs what you may be able to sell privately, even with some small tax savings on the diff? Unlikely.

Will you be able to make a decision to get a new bike, have BK do all paperwork, and have you out and riding the same day or next? Likely.

Some people do not like to sell big ticket items, it can be a pain in the ass, time consuming, and frustrating.....sometimes a trade, even though
    it costs $$$, is offset in some people's minds, based on the no fuss, no muss simplicity of the process, not to mention the fact that it can happen
    as soon as you get the impulse or motivation to pull the trigger.......new bike threads on BCSB are really fun, new bikes are even funnerer.

One thing I do know, BK has a solid rep, and dealing with Trevor or Jay will be a stress-free and pleasant experience, so best of luck!

Lastly......make sure you have ytour shit together with respect knowing the real street value of your bike. When it comes to negotiating, educating yourself is #1, and many people have very poor understandings as to the value of the item they are selling, and coupled with perhaps an even lower trade-in allowance, this can leave a real sour taste in one's mouth, which can be avoided if they know the real #'s ahead of time.

There are lots of Ninja 250's out there......many are in perfect shape, lower km's. The Ninja 300 has now been launched, similar MSRP, but quite huge upgrades.....these basic, and many others facts, need to be considered....food for thought.
    Last edited by CHIA; 09-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by PoCoRider View Post
    General rule of thumb: mods zero out on trade in or even most private sales.

It's my old bike - great bike, mechanically fine, runs well.
    I'm still mad at you for scooping the last green and black 2012

lol
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

Resident Contrarian Array PoCoRider's Avatar
    Bike
    09 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
    I'm still mad at you for scooping the last green and black 2012

lol
    Go get it! .