Labour/time question

Thread: Labour/time question

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '88 Kawasaki gpx 600/zx600, 2002 Yamaha R6

Labour/time question

Hi, i have a 2002 R6 with the classic second gear problem. As i've read its possible to swap the internals from 2003-2007 and eliminate this problem. Parts aren't too hard to get a hold of, im wondering how much labour this would be at a shop if i pull the motor/trans from the bike and bring it somewhere with the transmission parts to do the swap for me. I'm pretty sure i could tackle this myself, just wondering what my options are.

Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    that's an expensive undertaking for a 3k dollar bike.

Banned Array
    Bike
    R1 Yamaha
    Get in touch with Bayside performance, very good BBB rating and has a service shop.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade View Post
    that's an expensive undertaking for a 3k dollar bike.
    Well if i do it myself its only 150-200$ in parts (Complete transmissions for 03-07's go for 100-150 used), just seeing how much book time it would be to split the cases on an engine that's already out, and swap complete axles with cogs already attached (shift rods and forks too). Not nearly as bad as it sounds and i'm proficient with tools and not scared to wrench.

Thanks, i left a message with ems but no reply yet. I'll give bayside a call.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkman View Post
    Well if i do it myself its only 150-200$ in parts (Complete transmissions for 03-07's go for 100-150 used), just seeing how much book time it would be to split the cases on an engine that's already out, and swap complete axles with cogs already attached (shift rods and forks too). Not nearly as bad as it sounds and i'm proficient with tools and not scared to wrench.

Thanks, i left a message with ems but no reply yet. I'll give bayside a call.

Well firstly, not many shops will want to install used tranny parts. Secondly your still looking at around a grand in labour at a shop.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    May be less money to find an engine and do a complete swap.....but I guess taking a chance there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    The parts that would used are fairly easy to visually inspect for wear, and no shortage of them from crashed bikes. If its 9-10 hours to do this if i bring this (the engine/tranny out of the bike) to a shop i'd be very surprised. If its that much labour ill just do it myself, i have all Winter. It's a lovely bike and I think ill be keeping it for a while, so some of my time and a couple hundred dollars in parts why not make it a better bike?

Thanks again for the input.

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    Yup! Best to do it yourself. Winter projects are a great way to pass the time
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Registered User Array
    Bike
    The parts that would used are fairly easy to visually inspect for wear, and no shortage of them from crashed bikes. If its 9-10 hours to do this if i bring this (the engine/tranny out of the bike) to a shop i'd be very surprised. If its that much labour ill just do it myself, i have all Winter. It's a lovely bike and I think ill be keeping it for a while, so some of my time and a couple hundred dollars in parts why not make it a better bike?

Thanks again for the input.

been there done that. a single cylinder dirtbike engine is a 6-8 hour charge out. you have to pull your top end to split the cases on that engine, it all takes time my friend. any shop worth it's worth doing the work will have a hard time just changing the parts, when you split cases they will suggest new bearings, seals, etc if they need it. they are also on the hook warranty wise if the repairs aren't done correctly. don't take my word for it, pick up the phone and ask.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I've read up on it extensively nowhere does it mention pulling the top end to split the lower. I guess i'll find out.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I've read up on it extensively nowhere does it mention pulling the top end to split the lower. I guess i'll find out.
    I did a few first gen rebuilds, I believe there's 2 bolts that need to be undone that require the top end pulled off to split the cases. I remember thinking it was fucking stupid, but this was near 10 years ago now, hopefully they got rid of those bolts as it made the job a lot longer than it needed to be.

Bike
    N/A
    Op good luck with the used parts...been there and done it. Sure you can visually inspect them and they may even look really good but when the bike has the same reoccurring issue because you put in used parts that's the the chance you take.

Put new parts in the motor as used transmissions are like used condoms good for fucking nothing...
    But it's your bike and money you don't have to listen to two guys (ssblade and myself) that between them have over 30 years experience with bikes. All the money is in the labour don't take the chance on having to take it apart again.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Yeah, I understand that. The 2nd and 6th gear cogs only have 3 dogs, the 03's and up have 5. The problems lies there with the early parts, as far as i know you cant just swap the individual (upgraded) gears onto my 02 stack, i'd have to use all the parts from an 03 and up which is why i'm heavily favouring used parts. Yeah ssblade i think i might have to pull the top end as you said to get at the two upper bolts, thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    tarded
    +1 with the new parts. looks like you're quite confident with wrenching so i say do the work. winter project....