Join the madness? Nakusp and back Oct 12-13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Join the madness? Nakusp and back Oct 12-13.

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA

Join the madness? Nakusp and back Oct 12-13.

Work has unexpectedly and disappointingly closed in around me, and instead of ripping off to Oregon for all of next week ( the finest autumn weather, obviously!) I'm gonna be office-bound. So I just GOTTA get away somewhere distant! And the Kootenays are beckoning... despite holiday weekend traffic... despite typical h/w enforcement... and despite cold nights...

I'm leaving 7:30 am Sat Oct 12 from Vanc, destined for Princeton > Merritt > Vernon (might do the Douglas Lake road... 30km gravel involved) > Monashee Pass > Nakusp for the night. Sunday I'm gonna ride to Revelstoke, then likely back via Kamloops and the Duffey. About 800kms each day, planning on brief stops only, about 10hrs each day.

If you wanna join in, post up and/or PM me.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2008 BMW HP2S, Beta 525RR. 2012 Multi S Touring
    Going to verify the weather and if you're not full crazy I'm in.
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

corner worker Array solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    Just a heads up on riding through Manning park, take it easy in the shady spots, expected frost that can last almost all day.
    This morning at around 830 am, there was a pickup spun out of control on Highway 5 on the Dry Gulch bridge blocking south bound lanes.
    Frost on the bridge deck was the cause and cruise control, which caught the driver by surprise, lucky he stayed on the bridge deck, its a long way to the bottom.
    You might want to detour on your way to Hope, take the Bridal falls off ramp and across to the other side of the river, the sun hits that side sooner and longer, meaning warmer riding, and a safer road, just watch for wild life that can be spooked by trains...(lol)

Your a brave soul, enjoy your ride.
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by solo soldier View Post
    Just a heads up on riding through Manning park, take it easy in the shady spots, expected frost that can last almost all day.
    thanks for the heads up. I plan to check the Allison Pass and Sunday Summit cams for temps before I leave. then again in Hope... if it's frosty (i.e. below about 3C air temp, early in the day), I have no issues with riding the Canyon - that just gives an excuse to rip hwy 8 to Merritt for what'll almost certainly be the final time this year!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPeter View Post
    Going to verify the weather and if you're not full crazy I'm in.
    If I am full on crazy, will you still come? I'd be looking forward to the company, LCP, as always!

(p.s. merino long johns and top, plus heated vest, for sure...)
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Okay, In Don We Trust. See you in the morning.
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

Bike
    ummm
    Damn cold morning. You guys got hairier chests than me.

Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    Left langley at 1130 today to princeton....road was in good shape dry all the way......third radar trap got me at the start of the decend to princeton....was told they will be working all weekend.....5a was also all dry with gravel on some spots ....got cold on the coq with snow on side of the road...will be looking for winter gloves before leaving kelowna in a few days.....have a good cool ride.....

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    ^^^ thanks, bud! good info. I expect lotsa holiday weekend enforcement, so we'll keep the pace mild!

driveBC cams showing -1.1C in Manning at 6:30 am. can't expect that to rise more than 2C or 3C by the time we would get there. Hells Gate showing 6C... we'll be going the Canyon!
    (btw, Duffey showing -1.5C at 6:30 am too - it'll probably stay below freezing till 9 - I imagine it'd be acceptably warm by 11am or noon...)

Damn cold morning. You guys got hairier chests than me.
    hairier chest, but by the time this chilly morning is over, shorter dicks, I should think! well, speaking for myself that is... I understand LCP is of a different persuasion, physiologically!

and especially for Anna, here's the track:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...yzkSGX3Kq9llFX

have a wonderful weekend, everyone...
    Last edited by doser; 10-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    In downtown Nakusp. Great day. That Douglas Lake/Ranch road was in great shape and it's gorgeous in there. Monashee Pass was new to me and it's a truly great ripper road. Conditions were excellent. About 6 cars of traffic from The start of the pass to the ferry. Got here in time to grab a half bottle of Johnny red to help Don and I to warm toes. It's going to be bleeping cold in the morning.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    FYI - Skipping Loop tomorrow, so won't be meeting you guys on the Duff, have a great day!
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

just having fun Array
    Bike
    not red
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    and especially for Anna, here's the track:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...yzkSGX3Kq9llFX
    thx don! had i known i would have checked. though current spot number 69 indicates you two are stuck in a single room with one queen bed

have a great ride tomorrow and come home safe and sound. who knows i might see you in sq if yer not too late.
    don't click here

Bike
    RC
    Hmmm
    A) Convince family to attend to all cooking cleanup etc.
    B) Run Douglas Lake Ranch for the hell of it.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by sushigrl View Post
    thx don! Had i known i would have checked. Though current spot number 69 indicates you two are stuck in a single room with one queen bed
    lololololol
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    k1300s
    Can't imagine how bad things must be if'n LCP's drinkin scotch.