00' Suzuki GSXR 750 Engine "Rod Knock" Problem

Thread: 00' Suzuki GSXR 750 Engine "Rod Knock" Problem

2000 GSXR 750

00' Suzuki GSXR 750 Engine "Rod Knock" Problem

Dear fellow riders, I got a problem with my 00' Suzuki GSXR 750 (Y Model) that I'd like to ask for your opinion/advice.

My bike has about 27K on the odometer, I had the bike on the dyno the other day and experienced a serious engine knocking problem and after 5 runs the engine was making a very loud knocking sound and losing power.

The experienced technician told me there was a "Rod Knock" problem where the bearing on the connecting rods in the engine are worn out and causing a knocking sound as there is too much play with the bottom of the connecting rod. This seems to be a common problem with older ~2000 GSXR's.

I called up a couple motorcycle repair places and the labour cost just to get into the engine would be around $1000 and that doesn't even include the price of any parts that need to be replaced.

So my question is, has older GSXR riders ever had this engine knocking problem and is it even worth trying to fix it? I love my motorcycle and besides this problem it has always ran great for me but now it seems like it is coming to the end of its life.

Anyhow any comments, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated, thank you for reading my message.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array
    stop running it now and tear into it so you won't have to repair/replace your crankshaft. it might be a small end knock, i remember they had an issue with that from that era and had a thicker gasket available. anyways, fix it before it's toast.

Bad Motherfucker Array thebronze's Avatar
    On Yer Wife/GF/Mom
    Rocky Mountain, 1986 Livingroom (Aspencade)
    Buy replacment engine .... replace..... should only take a few hrs tops and be less expensive... the 1000 motor pretty much drops in
    Anything You Can Do...... I Can Do Drunker
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dying...... And dying to Me don't sound like all that much fun"

Maple Ridge
    2007 GSX-R750
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
    Buy replacement engine .... replace..... should only take a few hrs tops and be less expensive... the 1000 motor pretty much drops in
    ^^ This...
    "Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD’s… You know you want to hit it, but you’re afraid of the consequences"

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport
    2007 Audi A4 S-Line