BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Theft prevention

3K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  mondocycle 
G
#1 ·
My bike was stolen 2 weeks ago.I live in a high rise with 24 hour security.I park on the 4th level down.When ICBC pays me out do I buy another bike and park it in the same spot.I have no were else to keep the bike.My options so far are move or dont get another 12,000 dollar bike.Any sugestions on how to keep a new bike from getting stolen. ie. good alarm systems, big ass chain and lock etc.
I REALLY want another bike so any sugestions would be great.

#8 ·
Hey

Mine is almost finished and I will post pics.
1/4 or 1/2 inch plate, heavy!
Bolts to floor on the inside.
Big pin {tool Steel} slides in pinning in the wheel.
Hole in end of pin is where your key lock goes.
Lock and pin end is covered with heavy steel box, only access
is underside. No room for cutters. Will take too much liquid nitrogen to freeze and bash. To hard to pry it up. They may unbolt forks but I don't think they wanna spend that kinda time.
No access to axle bolt!

#13 ·
A Kryptonite Wall Anchor and New York "Fhagettabout it" Chain may help. You can only order the really good chain from the states. Total cost is around $250-$300 cdn.

Get permission from your council and start drilling.

If the chain is broken or dammaged and yor bike results in a theft, Kryptonite will pay you $750 towards your insurance claim.

Check out their site... http://www.kryptonite.com/

#14 ·
The 24 hr security can be misleading. If the thief lives in the same building you're screwed. Even if the thief doesn't do the theft, he can pass out the access card to his buddies and they pull up in a van or pickup truck. No one will be the wiser. Harden the target. Anchor bolt the thing so they have to friggin work and hack that chain off.

#17 · (Edited)
Pretty sad that alot of LOSERS live IN the building. Petition your building manager to install cameras. I'm sure most residents won't mind pitching in $40 bucks each or something to have a decent system installed. I can even recommend a company to install the system that put a really nice one into my wife's office downtown. They have 4 cameras.

Here's another idea for that front wheel lock box as pictured above.... you could have a small chamber in the front/bottom of the box that's accessible only if there no mbike in it holding a 12v gel-cel battery about half to 3/4 the size of your motorcycle battery. Power a standard or paging car alarm from it with remote control like for your car. Mount the shock sensor to the bar that holds the bike's front wheel. If someone even jostles it the alarm will go off (also put a nice big siren in the battery box with some small holes so the sound gets out or have the siren point out the back of the unit if it's only an inch to the wall so a thief can't disable it. That would give you a lot of piece-of-mind in case your paging alarm in the bike is bypassed or they short the battery, etc.

If there is a 120v wall outlet in your parking spot, even better, you can mount your "wilock" right up to the wall and use a 12v adapter or trickle charger to keep your gel-cel in perfect condition. Otherwise you'll need a couple gel-cel batteries so while you use one the other can be charging. Should last easily a month or two before needing recharging if it doesn't go off. Sealed-acid batteries (you can buy them here too) If you batteries start to go flat after a year or so get a battery zapper from www.batterybes.com for around $55-60cdn delivered. Mine is arriving any day (to revive my deep-cycle boat battery), use it while you charge your battery. These little devices can rejuvinate your bike battery every year as well. Best to use every 2-3 months or install on the bike. For more information why batteries slowly die read this.

This sounds like somebody should start a business selling these "wilock" type units! :thumbup

:rider

G
#21 ·
Buddy, you could have the chain from an aircraft carrier anchor tied around that thing and it's still gonna get stolen. Your bike is in a parkade in Scurvey...you can take steps and measures but say hello to many sleepless nights if you get another bike like the one you had and park it there.

Best theft deterent. House with a locked garage.

#22 ·
Time to move to a basement suite or something with garage access in a house.;)

Is the elevator big enough so you can take your bike into your place?:p

What makes it worse these days is rechargeable power tools are cheap.... drill, skilsaw (with grinder blade), etc. An angle grinder will go through any chain no matter how "hardened".

#23 ·
Dude you could do what I do, find a friend or family member (parents!) with a garage and make the trip out to visit your bike on only on the weekends. Oh wait, that sounds shitty!

Awwww crap, time to buy a townhouse with a garage, oh wait, I'm saving up, don't have the MOOOLA right now. Okay, back to the friend or family member with a garage.

Even better, my dad works from home 24/7 and my parents live in a gated retirement complex where the neighbours are the most curious and in your face nosty types in the Lower Mainland! Bunch of young punks in a van or truck casing out bikes is gonna look pretty obvious in a place like that. :D

G
#24 ·
thanks for all your comments,looks like I might have to move because i am going to get another bike.I do like that boot idea though. If anybody buys a cheap akrapovic carbon fiber can let me know(Its probably off my stolen 929RR!!).

G
#25 ·
my bike was tampered with 2 weeks ago... when i get it back from the shop, i'm parking it in the same spot with a 3rd watch paging alarm system on it...

the owner also coincidentally bought some bear spray as well... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.