Decent article on riding to Prudhoe Bay

Thread: Decent article on riding to Prudhoe Bay

Lower Mainland

Decent article on riding to Prudhoe Bay

This article is one of the better ones I have read on how to prepare to ride to Prudhoe Bay.

Some thoughts

Really know how to use your First Aid kit and have a decent sized one the thou have supplemented to better manage a serious MC get off.

Strip your bike of everything you don't need to keep you alive and the bike running and leave it in your Motel's storage in Fairbanks.

Carry a gallon of water each above what you normally would carry.

Sat Phone & Spot Yes

Run Knobbies - 100% Yes. If you are bring to economize on tires or don't think they are necessary you will be having losts of chances to reflect on the error of your ways.

If you are caring spare tires wrap them in the clear plastic shrink wrap tape so if you have to change one out it is still clean inside.

Side note. While riding to Prudhoe gets all the press those of us who have ridden to both Prudhoe and Inuvik for the most part rank the ride to Inuvik as much more difficult.

Here's why

1. More remote. There is a reason they have emergency air tips along the road.

2. Far Less traffic

3. Road conditions are worse for longer. We had construction for 1/3 of the way

4. With Klondike River Crossing burned getting to and from Eagle Plains is more of a gas challenge.

The Dempster is a clay based road and as such the bottoms of hills can be very, very nasty.

Take a bug hat and a survival blanket.

Always assume that 10 KMs from the next gas station there could be a rock/mud slide and you need to think ahead regarding how you are getting back with enough gas.

Carry tie down straps and lots of cash so you can put a damaged bike on a truck.

Buy the BCAA Platinum Coverage to avoid the big tow bill.

DOn't hurry on the road. Speed kills up there

You need a GPS so you can tell people where you are if you need help. A waypoint lets the rescue tow truck people know where you are.

Read AKrider's mile by mile report (with photos) on the Dalton on adv rider.

Try to ride in a group of three bikes.

One to crash , one to stay with injured rider, one to ride for help

How remote is it? Here is a Photo of my my wife and riding buddy riding north.heading North after Eagle Plains when the road was perfect.

Name:  road to inuvik.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  146.7 KB
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

2. Remove Advertisements

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    I've read through the Ride Reports on advrider , but still haven't gotten the Alaska bug. I've ridden as far as Skagway and Whitehorse through Hwy 37, but that's all. I have a buddy (who is on here and may chime in) who keeps bugging me about going on this trip as he has gone through that area. I keep arguing that there isn't a lot of appeal for heading north. Rain, bugs, calcium chloride and trees ...... lots of trees. And even more bugs. I think that is the worst, dealing with the bugs. And seeing as I spent most of my life in northern BC and Ontario, I don't know if I ever will want to spend much more riding time up there. I have lived in remote, unpopulated areas like those. Beautiful as they are, I'm looking for a different flavor.

For me to head north of Williams Lake is a stretch these days. I have a few 2-3 day long off-road trips in southern BC and Washington are planned this season. Another month of riding in Mexico is in the works for the fall. For me, nothing beats rolling into a Mexican village needing to find shelter, gas and food at the end of a day riding when you barely speak the lingo and have to count on yourself. And there are no mosquitoes.

That's a great photo to show the remoteness of the area. I imagine there was just as much nothing behind as there was in front of you?
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 02-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    The difference between you and me .........

Registered User Array BugMagnet's Avatar
    Delta BC
    2014 Suzuki DL1000A
    I made it to Whitehorse last year. Went through a lot of rain and cold (July 1c with snow). I had holiday time booked to keep going to Alaska but turned around as I was getting homesick for my nice warm bed. The sun came out for my ride back down and the bugs came with it, but the bugs didn't bother me much. After the summer I started itching to go back up that way so this year I am making a run up to Yellowknife. I purchased a quick popup tent and self inflating mattress pad, as those were two things I didn't like on my trip last year. I had a regular pole tent, and an inflatable mattress. Both were a pain to setup and take down every evening. One of the best tips when riding way up there is to be sure to fill up at every gas station. I discovered one gas stop that had gone out of business and it was another 100km to the next one. I barely made it. This trip I may bring an extra gallon or two. Be sure your heated gear is working correctly before heading up North. Even in Summer it can snow on you.

Not sure I would want to tackle Prudhoe bay. That is a few levels above what I have done. I may do a Ferry ride up the coast to Alaska, and then ride the loop from there one day. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and back home.