So, the bike. Saw an ad online and drove out into the bush (Lake Cowichan) to grab it. Traded my old gas powered pressure washer that I paid $100 for and I got two scooters with no plastics in the deal. Sold the scooters for $100 so I can justify saying I got his for free since I paid that for the pressure washer.
So it came with no title and a pair or li-ion batteries. The chrome was in good shape and it has new Cheng Shin tires on it. Fork seals are great, chain is dead, etc. It runs, but once I ripped the airbox out it runs like crap. I hope to have some secondary main 130 and primary main 155 jets to start as a base once it's sorta done.
Goal, dummy build it, sort out the bugs, find my mistakes, ride it for the summer then pull it apart in the winter and paint the frame and motor. A two stage build process. That way, it's not a box of parts and a frame and I don't get married to a couple of dead end ideas.
If and when I finish the build I'll post after pics in this first post and add some page numbers to the milestones. Started with this:
Decided on some chinese clip ons and rear Ohlins copies, $150 total.
So the seat and tank got lined up and I was coaxed into ditching the stock tank. Thankfully. So a mototlanna seat was imported, $200 and a $5 ebay led taillight. The light was too high, the speedo I got off ebay for $40 was too high as well. I fabbed a light bracket but decided to ditch it yesterday. I'll tighten the clocks and lights up a bit more later on. I have an LED taillight and will go with an LED headlight too. Take it easy on the vintage charging system.
A GT380 tank was had for $40. $5 in sheet metal and some grinding along with say $5 in wire and ArCo2 and the knee indents are half done. I literally sat on the bike and traced my knee along the tank with a Sharpie for the shape.
Mig welding on the lowest setting and cranking up the gas to 20 netted some non pinhole penetration. My welding skills are ok, but I really see that I'd prefer a tig in the shop. Oxy/acetylene just seems so archaic now. I've lowered the rear of the seat for a flat line stance. Don't worry. I've hacked off about 30 pounds of iron and plastic off the bike so far.
Ok, today I did some shaping and hammering. I want to share a little secret. I have a 2 1/2 inch hitch ball I mount in my vise to use for tight radius shaping. It works great with just a pall pein hammer. I made two passes with the mig just to make sure and quenched the sheet metal with a wet rag as I went to reduce warpage. Anyone that says a real welder doesn't use a grinder doesn't make pretty things that needs paint. I'll tidy this up a bit more before I get the bondo out to fill the craters and hammer marks etc.
So the seat was two inches narrower than the tank. The stock tank holds 10 litres, the GT380 tank holds 15 litres. Although now, I would assume the tank holds 13.5 litres with an inch taken out of the ass end.
So there we have it, my first bike build.