BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

I think I saw a stolen bike today.

3K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  ZenOfZoom 
#1 ·
Today at about 1:20pm on 176 st southbound toward the US border at about 16th ave I was passing a silver dually Dodge Ram. In the back laying on its side is what appeared to be a blue BMW R1100S. This is very odd, nobody I know would lay a bike of that price range on its side. I could be mistaken about the bike, I was trying to ride and look into the pickup box at the same time down a hill.

What gets weirder is that as I moved up the truck to the driver he looked very uncomfortable about me looking so intently, I kept looking at him so he knew I had seen it and was suspicious. As I passed in front I got the plate of the truck and once I was in front of him he started slowing down and making distance between us. I moved back into the right lane, the same lane as him, and he then moved to the left lane. I kept slowing down so he would pass me so I could better evaluate what I had seen. He kept slowing down too, so he would not pass me, after both of us got down to about 50kms/h he made a fairly abrupt turn into a dead end street and I lost him.

Now if you are on the board and this is how you transport your bike, I apologize. It just seemed very weird to me. What should I do, I have a description and a plate, should I call it in as suspicious? But then I think I do not want to cause problems for this guy if he is legitimate. Just thought I should mention this. Angus.

See less See more
#3 ·
If he's legit, he should mind a fellow motorcyclist looking out for his best interest. I'd call the cops and ask them if there was a report of a stolen bimmer.

#5 ·
call it in. You won't hurt anyones feelings if it was legitimate and you could put a theif out of business if it wasn't. Maybe the guy would like to thank you because you made him look into the back of the truck and he finally noticed his bike tipped over.

#10 ·
Called it in to Surrey RCMP, they said that the vehicle (the truck) had been inquired about yesterday. They are fairly suspicious. The truck itself is not stolen, which is good, that way they can talk to the owner. They said they will contact me if need be. Done. Feels good. Angus.

#12 ·
Just want to express how impressed I was by the quick feed back on this board. I posted, and within 3 minutes there were opinions. Within 4 minutes, I had already called it in thanks to those opinions. Nice system when it works. :thumbup

Angus.

G
#13 ·
Good one Angus. I can't think of any reason to put a bike on its side in a pick-up when tie downs only cost 20 bucks. Too bad its a BMW and unlikely to be a member from this site. But if it was stolen you're helping us all out regardless.

Dumb thief deserves to get caught, next time use a van and a mattress you dumbass.

#14 ·
Karl Hungus said:
Good one Angus. I can't think of any reason to put a bike on its side in a pick-up when tie downs only cost 20 bucks. Too bad its a BMW and unlikely to be a member from this site. But if it was stolen you're helping us all out regardless.

Dumb thief deserves to get caught, next time use a van and a mattress you dumbass.
thanks for the tip ;)

lol j/k :D

ride safe :)

G
#16 ·
Mine was red and I don't know anyone who has a blue one, stolen or otherwise.
Good on you for spotting him and reporting it. I hope he get's what he deserves. Always knew those yahoo's who drove those "big dualy" trucks were up to no good. What was the licence plate number?
..and does anyone have a spare pitchfork?

#18 ·
Bwhahaha this is hillarious. My friend went up to vernon to go dirtbiking (Silver dodge ram) and lsot the keys. He got a ride back from vernon with a friend of mine with a cabin up there, they took his dirtbike home. Left the truck there, his dad went to go pick it up with his bmw bike on monday. Guess he couldnt get the bike in properly by himself. Anyways he drove it home here to White Rock so by the sound of it thats what you saw.

#21 ·
If it's true hes up for a royal ass 'beatin and much subsequent laughing/torment. :p

P.S. Thanks for looking out, with all these recent thefts it's best if we all keep an eye out for eachother.

#23 ·
Besides the bike lying on it's side, his behaviour is definitely suspicious. Good for you to call the RCMP. If I can suggest one more thing, phone up ICBC with the description of that motorcycle as well as the licence plate of that vehicle as the RCMP may never find out who owns that bike but if it's reported to ICBC as a stolen, then they can all match up that info. While you're at it, contact Megson Fitzpatrick and the other private insurance agency out there and have them flag this info just in case the owner insures theft with the private insurers.

Good work! Always go with your gut feeling.

#24 ·
Good on you Angus.

I also thought I saw a stolen bike last summer and called 911 on my cell phone. (Someone on this site had reported their bike stolen and mentioned that it had a polished frame and rims. The bike I saw had them and since I figured there weren't too many bikes with a polished frame and rims I decided to call the cops just in case.) I followed the bike until I was put through and told the cop who answered why I was calling and provided the plate number. He told me it wasn't stolen.

The only down side to the whole experience was that the cop sure made me feel like I was wasting his time by phoning it in.

AlstareRider said:
PM me the plate number and I'll ask him tommorow if it was infact his dodge.
When you talk to him (and assuming it's your friend's father) I'm sure you'll explain why Angus was checking him out so intently.

#25 ·
KatRider said:
Good on you Angus.

When you talk to him (and assuming it's your friend's father) I'm sure you'll explain why Angus was checking him out so intently.
No doubt, if anything he should get a good laugh out of it. :laughing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.