Road Test
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Test

Bike
    Honda NC19

Road Test

Hey everybody! I was just wondering what they ask you to do on the road test for your class 6. I'd like replies from people who have taken the test recently and not 10 years ago

All I know is that you're given a headset and the instructor follows you around in a car and tells you where to go and what to do. Does anybody have any more specific details?

Thanks
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    I did a circuit involving stop signs and stop lights, corners, blind corners, uncontrolled intersections and such. A little bit on the highway and some twisties. But pretty much what you already know, they follow you and tell you where to go. Obey all signs and laws, always scan for dangers. don't forget about the "wasted movements". Scan all driveways and side roads, crosswalks and intersections. Look right then left as you pass through the intersection. And of course...just be calm and ride.

edit - i did my road test last march.
    Last edited by Sailor; 05-28-2003 at 08:38 PM.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Bike
    2001 R6 Red
    From a 2 years ago...you drive and listen to the tester. Turn left, turn right, etc. The tester will mark you on a list of maneuvers. Screw up one maneuver 4 times (or 5?) and you fail. Of course you don't know until the end of the test.

Bike
    None
    Took it today!

Everything was as everyone else says (above). You will do a U-turn on the test, street parking, lot stall parking, observation thingy where you identify potential hazards, and all the other basic stuff.

Things to keep on mind is dont go too slow and make sure you shoulder check (BIG TIME)!

Bike
    has 2 wheels
    You can't really shoulder check to much do it lots. If i'm not mistaken going thru an intersection you look left the right as the traffic from the left can hit you first. When doing your hazard observation go nuts list puddles loose dirt, bushes, hidden driveways, pot holes, parked cars, kids, dogs anything they want to see that you are observant and paying attn.
    Good luck

Bike
    '00 YAMAHA R6
    I did my test about 2 and a half weeks ago. Make sure to remember the "deep" shoulder check for cyclists when making right turns when stopped.
    RIDE SAFE!!

Bike
    600RR Yeeeellllooow
    I took the test 2 years ago and had to do the Identifying hazards where at the end of the trip, I parked my bike on the side of the road, went to where they were parked and told them the hazards I found in front of me. I had to name at least 5 such as hidden driveways, parked car in front of driveway, oncoming traffic, hidden corner, blah blah blah... I named like 6 or 7 and the tester just told me that was more than enough~

I was luckier than most when I heard the tester tell me "Ride like we are not there." What he meant was that when you are riding, do not worry about the testers behind you. Do not wait for a clearing in turn for both of you to go. If you feel that you are able to go, ... go. The advantage to that was that one time they were stuck behind a car when turning into traffic and had to stop at a light when I didn't.

I got to rest a bit while they waited to get back to me and continue. Lets some of the pressure off for a while

Just remember all the things you were taught in school and you'll do fine. If you didn't go to school, then go through the book~

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the things not mentioned yet was that if you forget to turn off your signals more than twice??... you fail... I heard the tester say something the likes...

Just drive in a safe manner and remember to keep your helmet moving so they know you're lookin out for dangers all the time~ And remember to relax. If the tester tells you to turn right and you accidentally turn left, don't go "OH SHIT" and go into a panic. I didn't hear him clearly and was about to turn the wrong way, but he saw my signal and messaged me again and I tapped my helmet a few times to signal to him I didn't hear clearly and didn't get any marks off

Good luck with your test~
    We rode our bikes together, we laughed together, we cryed together, we even lived together. All our friends said we were a the perfect match. I can tell the world that I know I'm the luckiest person alive because I got to live my dream for 3 years 7 months and 11 days.

hung
    i took my test today! Everything is what the above said. ALWAYS cancel your signal, check both ways for intersection, and shoulder check always when you are stopped. U-turns, left and right turns, go straight, on the highway.. always look at mirrors and shoulder check wherever u go, spin your head all the time to make it obvious that u are looking. ONE BIG THING iS your speed. Especially LONNNNNGGGG school zones like the one i had. And dont go too slow. Go 55 km/hR! And dont cross any white lines when turning..i think thats it , hope it helps

Bike
    SV650s
    I passed my road test last september. Just to re-iterate to watch your speed. Following the flow of traffic is baad!! I got caught doing 60 in a 50 zone and my speedo read 60 on the dot.. so I'm not too sure on how the variance is.... could be just my bike though.

I was lucky, the examiner could have failed me on that count alone but she took me to every school zone and playground zone she could find at that point to just see if I could control my speed. I also didn't have to do a u-turn or identifying the hazards... heh maybe I just got an easy exam

Bike
    1966 CCM
    Bwaaa haa haa....I took mine in a parking lot behind the Safeway on a dirtbike.......sure sounds like things have changed a lot in XX years......
    cute part......he said accelerate between the first set of cones and brake between the second set...I said, can I wheelie and slide?......He said no
    I’m not crazy, I just need to get off this island. The doctors don’t believe I invented the chocolate éclair. But I did. I’m going to burn them all and drink soup from their skulls! Happy soup! Untie me and I’ll kill you last!

Master of Puppets Array Cometman's Avatar
    Bike
    Team Green
    What everyone else said!

Here is a tip, and is something that helped me with my speed. Use a gear lower that you would normally cruise around in. For example, when I took my test last September on my EX500 I kept it in 2nd gear in 50km/hr zones and 1st in 30km/hr zones. I usually rode in 3rd at about 65km/hr, so the higher revs in 2nd kept me aware of my speed without having to watch the speedometer.

I reiterate here: move your head! You may have the most nimble eyeballs in the world, but if they don't see your head on a swivel they will assume that you haven't looked anywhere but straight ahead.

BTW, they didn't make me do the hazard recognition part. Maybe because the tester said I was one of the best riders he's ever tested (like that lasted!) he figured I didn't need it.

Midnight Rider Array TeknicGSXR's Avatar
    Bike
    1997 GSXR 750 Red / Blk
    Hey Shimmer, thanks for the post. I'm the one getting the license soon, so thanks to everybody for the help. (Shimmer has his license, gave me the bike bug...)

Bike
    Honda NC19
    Originally posted by TeknicGSXR
    Hey Shimmer, thanks for the post. I'm the one getting the license soon, so thanks to everybody for the help. (Shimmer has his license, gave me the bike bug...)
    Wow! Your first post! You should stop lurking around and join in on the conversations in the forums. Anyways, good luck on your road test on the 11th. BTW, I have a night ride posted up for Thursday. Call me if you can make it.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING : Quitting 2-Stroking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Other People's Health.

Crabalocker
    i took my test yesterday. (i have been practicing for over 3 months!) i failed my first time through due to crossing over a solid white line while merging onto a highway. (automatic failure.)
    everyone else had great advice, i can add a couple of things you should keep in mind:

- EVERYTIME you start from a stop, look left then right, then start and get your left foot up on the peg! if you are inching through traffic in rush hour, moving one foot at a time, do it the same, do not let your foot hover or drag!

- look left, center, right when going through intersections. they want to see you do it before you get through, so make sure you are done and looking straight ahead again by the time you get past the crosswalk!

- when changing lanes, signal, shoulder check, then move. make sure you aren't already moving over before you do your shoulder check, they'll mark you on that.

- even if you are just moving over in the same lane you're in, you must shoulder check first!

hope this helps, and don't sweat it, practice and you'll ace it!

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Shoulder check lots. Move your head around a lot so the testers can see you're being observant. Cancel turn signals and remember proper lane positioning. Also, when I did my test last summer in Burnaby, we dipped a bit into Vancouver and wound up going through a residential neighbourhood where the intersections were unmarked. I ALMOST blasted through one, but stopped thankfully.
    Remember, if there's no markings on any corners, stop BEFORE entering the intersection, look around then go.
    Also, practise that U-turn. I was never pulled over and asked to ID any hazards. I think that's an arbitrary part the testers only use if they've been less than impressed with your riding!
    You'll do fine. I was really nervous until I get out on the road, then everything felt just fine.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.