Suzuki TL1000R brakes - good or bad?

Thread: Suzuki TL1000R brakes - good or bad?

Bike
    09'R1

Question Suzuki TL1000R brakes - good or bad?

Hey everyone,

My buddy just recently bought a used TL1000R. Can't remember the year, but I think its 2001 or 2002 or something.

It seems to have stock 6 piston front brakes and stock lines, and I gave them a try in the Cypress parking lot today. All I can say is they suck ass really bad compared to my F4i's 4 piston brakes with steel braided lines and Double H pads. I brought the bike upto about 80 or 90kph and tried to stop quickly and the bike was an absolute slug to stop.

The pad life seemed to be about 50% total, and there didn't seem to be any glazing on the rotors. Are his pads glazed maybe (or can only car brake pads glaze I don't know)? My first suggestion to him was to get a set of Double H pads.

Do any of you have any insight or suggestions into this?

Cheers,
    Klaus
    What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

auger
    Tell your buddy to bleed em,mine work great!.

Bike
    Did you play around with the brake lever settings? Anything higher than 4 gives it a plush feeling like GSXR brakes, put the brake lever settings to setting 1, 2 or 3 if you want to stop real quick.

also check to see the color of his brake fluid, it could have been black which = a no no.
    BCSB- Moderator

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm not telling, but Atom isn't allowed near it.
    Don't forget, you're comparing Stock TLR brakes to your F4i with SS lines and HH pads, not to mention the F4i is a fair bit lighter than the TLR.

My TLR stops on a dime. I have SS lines, EBC HH pads, and EBC Pro-lite race Rotors. I bet it stops faster than your F4i.

My first suggestion would be to change the fluid and make sure the system is bled well. If that doesn't help, try new pads.

Jim.

Bike
    09'R1
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I told my friend what you have mentioned and first he's going to try adjusting the lever like CG mentioned, and then probably get the brake fuild replaced properly, and maybe get some HH pads after all that.

I think it would be interesting to have a braking competition. We're got road races, drag races, but no stopping races. Maybe that would be kinda boring, or maybe it would really progress braking technology. It would be interesting to compare braking distances though, and everyone would get to work on their technique. Just an idea.

Thanks again everyone,
    Klaus

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    He may also have contaminated his pads with something at one point and just doesn't know any better.

I really don't think the lever position makes much difference to how much pressure you need to achieve a given level of stopping performance. It's just a reach thing so folks with shorter fingers can put on the proper pressure. At least it's only a reach issue as long as you can't pull it back far enough to touch the lever to the grip. At that point you're definetley travel limited and that leads to longer stopping distances.

Air in the lines will lead to grip touching as well with the same results.

Competition? I think we already have them. They are called Stuntaz Dayz and the event is Stoppies....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    09'R1
    Thinking back, I can remember the lever not touching the grip, but came close to an inch or so.

Yeah yeah Bruce, stoppies are one thing but stoppING is another. I meant who can stop in the least distance possible, not who can stop in the longest distance possible with the rear wheel in the air

Like Isaid, its just an idea... not necessarily a good one.