Kayo minigp as a track bike?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kayo minigp as a track bike?

Bike
    04 SV650

Kayo minigp as a track bike?

Wanted to get some 1st hand input on Kayo MR125 as a track bike. I see more and more people use them for track days and minigp racing. I remember that Spero was zipping on one whole PM day few weeks ago, and they seem like they would be a good 1st track bike.

Before I was thinking ninja 250 or sv650 track bike, but like I said it seems like these could be quite a bit of fun and a possibly as good of a choice (just my very uneducated guess)

I dont see them being able/allowed to go on the track like Ridge due to 125CCs, but I might be mistaken on that (pure speculation really)

So, any info on them? Should they be considered for track days? The good/the bad/the ugly about them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Dude..we missed out!

The Kayo, that was at track days in pitt meadows was a demo. That was Blair, the guy who imports them.

Unfortunately he was loading up the bike on to his trailer when I found out that it was a demo.. and it was too late to take it for a spin. Next time you go and you see that Kayo, go talk to him. Blair is a nice guy to talk to, and can answer all your questions.

As for Spero's bike all I can say is that it's not a Kayo. But very close.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    Great for Greg Moore, but if you have any intentions of going to the ridge you should really consider a 250 or a sv
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array
    Bike
    white
    You will not be able to run something like that at the ridge or even mission. Keep in mind the top speed on these is maybe 90 kph, flat out with an infinite straight. These bikes are specifically made for the mini bike tracks, and they excel in that environment.

That is why everyone will tell you to get a 250, because it can run at both the local mini tracks and at the big tracks. If you can only have 1 bike and you want to run big tracks, 250 is the only way to go. That said, it would be a great idea to get a kayo and just do mini-racing for a while until you feel ready to step up.

Seriously, just come out to mission next week and watch/corner-work. Then come out to Greg Moore in chilliwack during the next mini racing weekend and watch/corner work. Talk to the racers and other enthusiasts. All of your questions will be answered and you will know exactly what you want to work on over the winter to get ready for next season.
    WMRC #36

Registered User Array
    Bike
    white
    Also, spero's bike is a ways away from a kayo. Kayo is about half the hp.
    WMRC #36

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by drewnabobber View Post

Seriously, just come out to mission next week and watch/corner-work. Then come out to Greg Moore in chilliwack during the next mini racing weekend and watch/corner work. Talk to the racers and other enthusiasts. All of your questions will be answered and you will know exactly what you want to work on over the winter to get ready for next season.
    That is precisely what I planned on doing actually. Going out to Mission, talking with people and seeing what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by drewnabobber View Post
    Also, spero's bike is a ways away from a kayo. Kayo is about half the hp.
    Shows you how much I know haha. Thanks!

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    Talk to Paul (mechanic) he has one and races it at Greg
    Moore.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by mess View Post
    Talk to Paul (mechanic) he has one and races it at Greg
    Moore.
    Thanks for the tip. Will do

Bike
    CRF150R - Road Racer.
    It is a 125cc, air cooled engine, based of of a TTR 125 dirtbike. Yes it is a great little bike for mini bike tracks but it will not do well at Mission. Sure with the correct gearing and what not, you can make it work there, you might just have to let off the throttle down the straight so that you are not pinned at WOT for such a long time.

I know that the guy who makes them has put together a 150 liquid cooled version based (CRF150R), that he was racing at Quesnel. That would be better than the 125 version but I don't know if that is a one off or if they are thinking of making that an option.

Yeah I don't know that Spero's modded NSR is twice the HP of the Kayo. We are talking 8 - 10 hp here, to double that on a mini bike would be a feat.
    PROUDLY sponsored by EMS - Thank you so much for your continued support!
    Pacific Coast Mini Racing Club - http://www.miniracingbc.com
    Come race with us, FREE demo's yes FREE!

Bike
    2000 Honda RC51, 2010 Husaberg 450FE 2015 Kayo MiniGP
    Blair was good enough to let me use the bike at the last Pitt Meadows trackday and after having raced Gamma's, R6's, F4's, and RC51's these things are as much fun on the track as those firebreather's were. It turns like it is hardwired to your eyes, fantastic traction, cornering clearance is huge (Blair's bike has trick rearsets but I can't see a huge difference in clearance regardless), has good brakes, large tacho, and it's fun. Fun with a capital F. If you remember it's only got a handful of horsepower and ride it accordingly you'll have a great time. I'm getting one this off season and getting back into racing, sure it's going to cost more than a beater 250/600/superbike, but the seasonal costs will be a pittance with the little bike, and coming off a small bike at 50 mph on GMR vs coming off a superbike at 120 mph at MRP, well, you do the maths and figure which one gives you the better chance to make it to work the next day. But don't take my word, I'm friends with Blair, not a salesman and everything we do is subjective. That's why he is more than happy to let people try the Kayo. Do yourself a favour, take a test ride and then post up what you think. Blair will use all the feedback in a constructive manner.

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    And on August 3rd Blair will be out at the Pitt Meadows Track Day offering treat rides on the KAYO mini. Come on out and try a ride.
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    And on August 3rd Blair will be out at the Pitt Meadows Track Day offering treat rides on the KAYO mini. Come on out and try a ride.
    I will be there. Signed up a day after the last PM track day

Just hope my sister doesnt pop the baby out while I am there as that is only a day or 2 around her due date haha.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    I wouldn't do it but...

There was a Kayo and two Honda Groms out at the ridge in the 100 group at a trackday this week.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Didnt want to start yet another thread, and it can be related somewhat to this one, so here goes my next question.

When I was at GMR this past weekend talked to several people and got a lot if great info on racing in general and minigp. One races has an NSR 50 that he is looking into selling and price is less then 1/2 of what Kayo goes for. He is asking for $950 including a bunch of spare parts.

I am seriously considering getting it for next season (need to sit on it and give it a whirl next race day at gmr) and giving racing a shot. Also would be using it for training at GMR (season pass) and PMTD. I dont see a reason why not to go for this bike, but wanted to see if anyone has info that I missed, and should consider. Current owner got the bike from someone on bcsb, so i know the history of it more or less.

From what I was told, since it is a two stroke it will take more tinkering and work than Kayo, but for that price difference, I wouldnt mind one bit (it would also be good way to learn to work on and tinker with bikes as well)

Thanks

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I'm guessing I've rode that bike. The riding position of those isn't for me, way too cramped. From my little experience.. Those bikes with the little two stroke engine demand alot of attention, get the corner wrong, wrong gear, whatever you're going nowhere. You have to be perfect, and that can be frustrating. two stroke do require rebuilds far more than a 4 stroke, but comparitively they're also easier to do.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President