RIP Solo Soldier
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Solo Soldier

High-octane entertainment Array L8APX's Avatar
    '07 600RR

RIP Solo Soldier

Richard von Aschwege (aka "Solo Soldier" on here and on Edmonton Sport Riderz) was my good friend and fellow rider. He started riding when he was 6 and was an experienced novice racer (EMRA member in Edmonton and then a novice racer at Mission). Born in Peachland, he moved to Edmonton 15 years ago and moved back to BC (Hope) in the fall of 2010. On July 6,2014, he and a group from BCSB were riding towards Merritt on HWY 5a (~25 km from Princeton). From what I've been told by two of the riders (members on this forum), he made a pass to the front of the group and somehow missed turning in on the apex to an upcoming sweeper. He grabbed brake before he left the highway but hit trees at high speed and suffered a severe head injury. He was taken to Kelowna (KGH) where he stayed in the ICU until being stable enough to be transferred to a hospital closer to home (a hospital in Abbotsford). It was there that he passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon. He leaves behind his mother, wife and two older brothers and many friends in Edmonton and the Southern Interior. He will be dearly missed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array
    I am so saddened to hear this.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    '08 Varadero
    I'm so sorry to hear that.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but we had a number of PM conversations after discovering that he was from Peachland. My parents grew up there and his parents likely knew my parents contemporaries.

Rest In Peace Richard.

My sincerest condolences to his family.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

'09 Ducati M696
    Did not know him but enjoyed his postings here. Was a solid guy, from everything I saw. RIP, sad to hear.

And shepherds we shall be Array miraclejoe's Avatar
    Gixxer V2.1

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Fascist oppressor.

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    2012 ninja 650
    Always was a level-headed poster here, very sorry I never got to meet him. Very sad news and condolences to his family and friends.

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter
    I remember seeing his posts from time to time. Sorry to hear about this. RIP fellow member & rider.

North Vancouver
    2008 BMW HP2S, Beta 525RR. 2012 Multi S Touring
    Sorry for your, his friends, and the family's loss. I didn't know him but his posts were that of a very nice person. Shitty deal. Makes you wonder about this sport at times. Thank you for putting this up.
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    white privelege
    RC51 & Blackbird
    i'm also someone that never met him in person but enjoyed conversation with him online, particularly his posts about some of the things he'd made in his workshop out in hope. it's sad to hear of his passing - condolences to all who enjoyed his presence.

godspeed richard.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

New West
    That's really sad, had the pleasure of riding with him more than a few times, last was only 2 weeks before that.

He was humble, extremely capable, far exceeding my skills.....all the best to family and friends, sorry for your loss.

On the right, June 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

just having fun Array
    not red
    have always enjoyed his posts, especially the ones about his woodworking passion. was wondering why he hans't posted in a while but assumed it was due to summer/holiday time. was sadden finding out about his misfortune and sincerely hoped that by some miracle he'd be back here again. it wasn't to be very sad to hear about his passing. RIP richard. my condolences to his friends and family but most of all to his wife.
    don't click here

Registered User Array GhostFlame_zx7r's Avatar
    Port Coquitlam
    2002 Honda 954RR; 2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    My Condolences to Richard's family and friends...

I had the pleasure of riding with Richard on a number of occasions over the years. Good Rider and a great person. He will be sadly missed and forever remembered.

Fly with the Angels...
    Last edited by GhostFlame_zx7r; 08-15-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    LIFES A BITCH...... Then you just do it all over again

Happiness is the corner Array Land Roving's Avatar
    Sea bee yar eff for eye.
    I wish I could have met him; from his posts he always struck me as a really positive and genuinely nice guy. May he rest in peace, and may those that knew him find solace and comfort.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

The Valley
    02 Ducati ST2 - 83 Kawasaki GPZ1100
    Geezus that is sad, my condolences to his family and friends. What a shocking thing for those riding with him, I can't imagine how you are feeling, sorry to hear this, mitch

Gixxer k9
    I liked his posts. He will be missed. RIP.