Importing a bike Q's

Thread: Importing a bike Q's

Importing a bike Q's

Hi there everyone,
    Been a long time reader here and first time poster. I just have several questions.

I'm interested in importing an early model 90's sportbike from Japan and I was wondering what are the processes and regulations that I have to comply when I bring one in? That is, If I can bring one in. I hope someone has a good website where I can visit or post up info of your experience if you have any.

Such concerns are if my bike can be insured here and what the customs will charge for a used sportsbike? I know that probably depends on how much I bought it for but these are just some of the Q's I have. But feel free to write an essay and I'll take my sweet time to read it.

Thanks everyone, hope someone out there can help out!

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array
    In your dreams

Re: Importing a bike Q's

I don't think you are allow to bring in any bike from Japan that is less than 15 years old. (double check that.. I am not sure)

I know for sure that parts can come in no problem, and have no custom charges.

Sorry can't help you much!!

thanks guys!

arfay, every little bit of info helps so I still appreciate it.
    Damn, I thought the 15 year old dealy only applied to cars and not bikes. Do'h!!!

Richmond now... not BBY
    600RR Yeeeellllooow
    The 15 year old regulation goes for bikes as well. Atlas motorcycles used to do that. I'm sure it wasn't worth it 'coz they aren't there anymore.

You can however, use the bike for track... but you can't insure it unless it is OVER 15 years old.

Sux... wanted a NSR 250.....single swingarm... *sigh*.. just like Shimmers pic... REPSOL!!! arr...........
    We rode our bikes together, we laughed together, we cryed together, we even lived together. All our friends said we were a the perfect match. I can tell the world that I know I'm the luckiest person alive because I got to live my dream for 3 years 7 months and 11 days.

Kamloops, BC
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge

This only states motor vehicles and does not say anything about motorcycles, call and find out, post it here.

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained. Please contact Transport Canada, Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate, at 1-613-998-8616 for further information.
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge